What do you do when life's troubles creep into your golf game?

Golf has always been my refuge. When it feels like life's troubles are raining down on me, I can usually go onto to a nice golf course and lose myself into the game for a few hours. It doesn't always work, of course. But, usually, even a bad day on the golf course is still a better day than most.

I've been struggling with some things in my home life that are completely beyond my control. My head is all scrambled because of it and my temperment and focus on the course really blows as a result. Do you guys have any ideas or techniques to separate the two?

My work had been something that has had my life in kind of a disarray for the 2 years. Golf was my relaxation and enjoyment prior to this happening, but I could not really enjoy it for almost a year now. Things are starting to settle some, and I am finally starting to get my head back into the golf game.

I had a bit of this last year when I was finishing up grad school. For me, the most important thing was to sort of change my expectations and treat golf as an escape, not necessarily as something I was actively working to improve. Take the game I have, head to the range or the course, and just enjoy the outdoors, my playing partners, and being away from what was giving me trouble. Sometimes I forget this, but golf is a hobby, and to not have fun playing is a missed opportunity. Like Ken said, a rough round of golf should be a lot more fun than most other things out there.

Worrying never did, and never will solve anything. It only ruins other things, even your health.
It has taken me years, decades even, to learn to not worry about things I have no control over. If I can do something about the issue then I do, but if it is completely out of my hands, then I pray about it and do my best to forget about it (as much as possible). I know some issues are not so easily set aside, but I take it one day at a time. I have had to remind myself on a daily, even hourly basis, at times, to just tell myself "Can I do anything about it today?" "No", "then why spend time dwelling on it?" "Do something else"

When I can just put those things aside my attitude about them will change and the whole problem just doesn't look so big anymore. Attitude can make all the difference in the world.

I know some people see not worrying as not caring, but that is untrue, I care to much at times.

I had a bit of this last year when I was finishing up grad school. For me, the most important thing was to sort of change my expectations and treat golf as an escape, not necessarily as something I was actively working to improve. Take the game I have, head to the range or the course, and just enjoy the outdoors, my playing partners, and being away from what was giving me trouble. Sometimes I forget this, but golf is a hobby, and to not have fun playing is a missed opportunity. Like Ken said, a rough round of golf should be a lot more fun than most other things out there.

Great advice, man. I definitely need to keep that in mind. A lot of truth in there.

What do you do when life's troubles creep into your golf game?

I think a lot of us have experienced this in some form
Or fashion, maybe it's not affecting golf but other things in life. For instance my mom was really sick a few years ago and ultimately had to have a liver transplant. That wreaked havok on my work, let alone golf and other "fun" things. But at the end of the day you just have to realize what's important and take care of what you can control. What you can't control - well just have faith that everything happens for a reason and what doesn't kill you only makes you Stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Personally it depends. If it's just routine work stress then I'll golf as a release. Provided it's not a Monday - Friday round I can block things out and focus on the enjoyment of being on the course. If it's family or health stuff then I stay away from the course, that can't be blocked out and the course if not a release for me because it's only a temporary diversion from reality.

I tend to think that everyone has their own issues to deal with. For me, playing golf or hitting balls is a way to release the stress for a few hours.

Sometimes it's hard to not let personal stuff creep into your mind while you're on the course. But, I try to just relax, focus on my game, and realize that golf is intended to be my escape and not an additional stressor.

The mental aspect is the hardest part for me. I just try to appreciate the fact that I'm out golfing and the beautiful view. That tends to help me relax.

90% of the time golf is my escape from all the hardships, worries, and stresses of real life, but that 10% of the time when you just can't block certain things out is tough. For me it helps to play with a group and not by myself and it also helps to not keep score. Just think about each shot individually and have as many small victories as you can.
^ this ^

Worrying never did, and never will solve anything. It only ruins other things, even your health.
It has taken me years, decades even, to learn to not worry about things I have no control over. If I can do something about the issue then I do, but if it is completely out of my hands, then I pray about it and do my best to forget about it (as much as possible). I know some issues are not so easily set aside, but I take it one day at a time. I have had to remind myself on a daily, even hourly basis, at times, to just tell myself "Can I do anything about it today?" "No", "then why spend time dwelling on it?" "Do something else"

When I can just put those things aside my attitude about them will change and the whole problem just doesn't look so big anymore. Attitude can make all the difference in the world.

I know some people see not worrying as not caring, but that is untrue, I care to much at times.

Thats fantastic advice,mimlove this and will use this as a reminder. Thank you BB.

Sometimes you have to put the clubs down and handle the business at hand

I think that's totally true when golf is interfering with something or depleting resources, but when you're talking serious health issues, jobs, family and a myriad of other things that's just not the answer.

Yeah that's great advice as well. I'm not one to worry though, and I haven't been. It's more how these issues have affected my temperment and state of mind. Rolling with the punches is usually a strength of mine, but lately those punches have been hitting me square in the jaw.

Thank you to everyone who offered their help. There is really great advice in here and having it in mind really kept me in a good state of mind for the majority of my round today. I just have to remember to keep having fun. Always have fun. That's what its all about.

I've been struggling with some things in my home life that are completely beyond my control. My head is all scrambled because of it and my temperment and focus on the course really blows as a result. Do you guys have any ideas or techniques to separate the two?
I don't know I'm afraid. I'm struggling with the same so my thoughts and prayers are with you...

I used to be like this a lot, and from time to time it creeps in, but at the end of the day, I golf for two reasons.

First and foremost it's because I adore the game and the challenge of beating par every time I step on the tee. With that said, the second reason I play is because I can TOTALLY disconnect from everything else in my life when I get to the course. Phone sometimes goes on mute and it's just me and the enjoyment of being on course hitting balls, not having to worry about anything else while I am there.

If you can convince your brain that golf is a therapy and not another life challenge, I personally think you'll be better off. For the most part, it's how I play the game, and I really only get angry now when I get a stupid lie due to bad course maintenance, or when someone is playing me in a money game with a sandbagger handicap.

I believe that ... In the darkest of times ... When you see no way out ... To stop and give thanks ... Because what is coming ... What is just on the otherside of the mountain you must climb ... Will so much better!

The above thought ... Gives me hope and helps me to put another forward on days when I feel I simple can not ...

My advice is don't golf right now. Take care of what you can take care of, pray to uour God and have patience. When the time comes, and it will come, to step back onto the golf course your game will be much more relaxing and stress free. When I went through a divorce in 07 I stepped away from the game for a few months until I had my head right. Like you said, there are some things in this life we have no control over. Good luck and God bless my friend.

I hear you there bro, life at times can be more then anyone can handle. Things tend to come up at un wanted times in our lifes. I suggest if you can spend some time with yor family, maybe even a day trip or two and just relax and forget about what is going on for that time. It may help a bit, if you need anyone to talk to I am here. Send me a PM, I am all ears ans can relate to these types of situlations myself. Hope everything works itself around for you.

I'm just the opposite than most in this thread. I have more stress on the golf course than I do off so I have to take time off from golf so I can be stress free :D.
Just kidding but not really. :alien:

This is probably the best post I've read on THP. Excellent advice bb.

I'm sorry you're dealing with tough times right now--talking about it (or around it) can be cathartic. Golfing with friends an opening up is a great release, mostly because you're sharing what you're bottling up. Tough times builds character, and you will find yourself a stronger person on the other side as a result, no matter what the outcome. You can PM me if you'd like to share, if anything else, it preps you to open up to people in real life as opposed to Internet randomers, but on the course sometimes you need to take a deep breath and think positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Rotella audio books in the car. It works for all my golf problems strangely enough. I know that right now from family junk going on in my life (a lot of it unpleasant) I am affected at times, you can't help it at times.

Learning to do the visualization exercises at the end of "The Unstoppable Golfer" can help with doing those exercises to relax and clear your mind or focus on the round of golf at hand and that has been wonderful for me. The other day I went for a lesson and practice and felt somewhere inside that something was wrong. Couldn't hit a thing. Sure enough my phone went off as I was leaving and there was a problem. I had an iron fitting that afternoon and I did the exercise for half an hour before and had my coach ask what was wrong in the morning.

Back