Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

That's what I was thinking, maybe the six is just between being big or small into to the unique sizing it has a different sound with the space in the head and all that?

Forgive the typos.

Oddly, in my steel set, I thought the loudest one was the 7 iron. In my graphite set, I think the loudest is the 6. I think it's just the sound dynamics of the hollow body.

Regardless, if someone is worried about sound, looks and feel, I don't think the Altitudes are the clubs for them. These aren't going to win any beauty contests or make anyone lust after the sound and feel. They're just going to perform.

One other thing I'd mention is that the sound and feel factors kind of fall away when you're out on the course. If you're hitting in a hitting bay, or doing a range session and hitting these back to back with other clubs, you'll definitely notice. When you're out on the course and thinking about all the other factors, how the shot sounds or how the club looks in the bag becomes an afterthought that is much lower on the list.

Went to the range before work this afternoon to try out the pure grips on. Now that I have the right size grip, these things are as amazing as everyone has already said! I'm not entirely sold on the wedges yet, but everything else is sweet! Need to spend more time in the chipping area to see how the wedges and I get along.

Went to the range before work this afternoon to try out the pure grips on. Now that I have the right size grip, these things are as amazing as everyone has already said! I'm not entirely sold on the wedges yet, but everything else is sweet! Need to spend more time in the chipping area to see how the wedges and I get along.

I don't use the wedges to chip with I only use them on full swings and they are awesome I have the Actionlite Wedge Flex shafts in them instead of the A Flex I have in the other irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggled for the longest time with small greenside chips with 8-pw, my initial thought was the broad sole/turf interaction was causing the issue, I even picked up another slimmer 7i to take over that role but after a lot of playing around, I'm back to using them.
Rather than a flat putter type stroke, I've taken it a bit steeper (not steep, just a touch steeper) and really focus on ball - turf. Has made a big difference and opened up some new shots for me.

I have not figured out what the problem I'm having is yet. I was struggling slightly with full swings as well as less than full swings. Hitting my Mizuno wedges A LOT better with both styles. Only time may tell. I may end up trying some MT short irons to see if a combo set works a bit better. Also have been looking at adding some scor's or RTX CB's since I have loved my 46 degree CB.

The wedges in the set are also wedge flex. That's another thing I have thought about tinkering with. May look into finding some regular flex shafts to try in them and see what that additional flex, that my swing can not impart on the wedge flex shaft, could do for the set wedges.

I have not figured out what the problem I'm having is yet. I was struggling slightly with full swings as well as less than full swings. Hitting my Mizuno wedges A LOT better with both styles. Only time may tell. I may end up trying some MT short irons to see if a combo set works a bit better. Also have been looking at adding some scor's or RTX CB's since I have loved my 46 degree CB.

The wedges in the set are also wedge flex. That's another thing I have thought about tinkering with. May look into finding some regular flex shafts to try in them and see what that additional flex, that my swing can not impart on the wedge flex shaft, could do for the set wedges.

I found the wedge flex better than the A flex in my D & S wedges seemed to get a bit more spin.

Still hit and miss for me with the Altitudes. I am on the fence right now if I sell my Burner 2.0s and concentrate solely on the Altitudes.

Perfect example of the issues I get with the Altitude. 6 iron off the tee on a 170 yard par 3. Playing through a group of slow players, so the pressure is on. I put a terrible swing on it, and the ball goes skipping down the fairway into the rough. Figuring it is way short of the green, I am looking back around 120 yards or so. Nothing, can't find it anywhere. Drop one, hit another shot just to get going along again.

Making my way up to the green, what do I find? My original ball. 168 yards, even with the pin, in the right side rough..... how the heck does that happen?

If I mishit it, its usually a thin..... and its almost always the yardage I was expecting out of a perfect shot.

I need to sell the Burners... get them out of my house... so I can't think "Oh if these don't work out for me, I can just go back to the other set". Have an offer from a guy here in town. Might just have to let the TM go!

I hit the 3i I recently received from Cookie on a LM today and really liked what I saw. Distance-wise it was almost as far as the X2Hot 3h I have. I could see switching out my FW, this and the X2Hot depending on yardages, conditions and what I need to hit off the tee. Or I'll have to look at the bottom of the bag and see if there's something I could take out.

But as for the 3Alti, I always missed this club since I let it go and I don't think it will be long until I figure out how to game it every round. It's just so forgiving, has great mid to high ball flight and promotes more of an iron swing for me. All good things.

Still hit and miss for me with the Altitudes. I am on the fence right now if I sell my Burner 2.0s and concentrate solely on the Altitudes.

Perfect example of the issues I get with the Altitude. 6 iron off the tee on a 170 yard par 3. Playing through a group of slow players, so the pressure is on. I put a terrible swing on it, and the ball goes skipping down the fairway into the rough. Figuring it is way short of the green, I am looking back around 120 yards or so. Nothing, can't find it anywhere. Drop one, hit another shot just to get going along again.

Making my way up to the green, what do I find? My original ball. 168 yards, even with the pin, in the right side rough..... how the heck does that happen?

If I mishit it, its usually a thin..... and its almost always the yardage I was expecting out of a perfect shot.

I need to sell the Burners... get them out of my house... so I can't think "Oh if these don't work out for me, I can just go back to the other set". Have an offer from a guy here in town. Might just have to let the TM go!

I find the same thing if I hit it sweet it is a high ball flight with less roll if I don't get it sweet it's a lower ball flight with more roll and usually within 5 meters of where a well struck ball would be.

I've been playing around some on the LM with these lately versus some other competing SGI irons. My current Altitudes have the stock graphite shafts, and the other SGI sets have steel (all in R flex), so it's not quite an apples to apples comparison (even though they do have the same shaft lengths).

I've probably hit a few hundred balls doing this testing over the various clubs in the set, so I feel comfortable talking about the trends. It also helps that what I see on the monitors line up with what I see on the course.

Long story short, I see four things consistently out of the Altitudes:
- Very minimal side spin
- Fairly high back spin
- Average launch angles (against these other SGI offerings)
- Steep decent angles (which is to be expected with high back spin)
- Not really long or short. Kind of average.

If you're looking for a forgiving set where the ball gets up in the air, lands softly and stops, then I think the Altitudes are hard to beat.

Cant wait to get my 4 Altitude in my MC bag, hoping it becomes a go to club I can be confident in swinging in that 190-200 yd range

Cant wait to get my 4 Altitude in my MC bag, hoping it becomes a go to club I can be confident in swinging in that 190-200 yd range

Glad to hear one of these made it into the bag! Few long par 3's in play I could see this being used on.

Glad to hear one of these made it into the bag! Few long par 3's in play I could see this being used on.
Yep it cost me a wedge on the back end but I trust it more than I do hybo

Can you say what shaft you went with?

I have an Altitude 4h with a KBS steel shaft sitting in plastic in my bag. It was delivered the week my cast went on. Son of a... Dying to hit it though. I'm hoping it's my answer to 200 yards.

Can you say what shaft you went with?

I have an Altitude 4h with a KBS steel shaft sitting in plastic in my bag. It was delivered the week my cast went on. Son of a... Dying to hit it though. I'm hoping it's my answer to 200 yards.
Not sure so I'll play on the safe side and say no...but it is steel

Not sure so I'll play on the safe side and say no...but it is steel
Better safe than sorry. I got it, and it was why I asked that way.

I HATED the lightweight graphite shaft in the 6 hyron I have, but like I said, I'm drooling over the thought of hitting the 4 with a heavier steel shaft--especially after taking a few swipes with Cookie's down in Lake Charles with those CTLs.

I HATED the lightweight graphite shaft in the 6 hyron I have, but like I said, I'm drooling over the thought of hitting the 4 with a heavier steel shaft--especially after taking a few swipes with Cookie's down in Lake Charles with those CTLs.

Not the altitudes, but I play a JPX 4 fli hi with a 110 or so gram steel shaft. It's quickly
Becoming one of my favorite clubs to take out of the bag. I think the Iron/hybrid combo is great at that spot in the bag.

I enjoyed the lightweight shafts in JB's 4 and 5I, this will be my first pass at steel outside of hitting indoors (which last time I did I think the steel was a few yards longer but with not as good of a dispersion)

After taking two months off after elbow surgery, there is nothing better than hitting an 8 iron 155-160 into the wind. Man, I've got to get out and play!!!

Thats it! Finally accepted an offer on my Burner 2.0s, so it is all-in with the Altitudes. Really good session with them last night, itching to get back on the course again!

Tudes were great today. I'm in love with the 3 iron. Use on both 200 yard par 3s at my club. It's been even better as a chipper around the greens. Great club.

Excellent day with the Altitudes today. No mishits, and thats the first time that has happened.

High launching, soft landing. Accurate. Just ridiculous how quick these get up in the air for me.

My first round after selling my other irons. New confidence. Increased concentration. Positive results.

I'm thinking I might need to follow your example with my drivers, always wondering if one of those not in the bag would serve me better.
Pick one and get on with it....

I'm thinking I might need to follow your example with my drivers, always wondering if one of those not in the bag would serve me better. Pick one and get on with it....

It was really an act of desperation for me. I liked the Altitudes, but I was always thinking that my old irons might be better for me. Hit the range the night before I sold the old ones, and I had hit the Altitudes well.

It was really a mental block for me. I think the difference in look was what was really holding me back. Too much doubt.

Still thinking of putting a heavier shaft in one of these. Something like an S300, but I wonder if it will totally throw off the balance.

Back