The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

So can we stop with the "LeBron took a pay cut to win championships" now?

Dude is making teammates take cuts now so he can stay put.

So can we stop with the "LeBron took a pay cut to win championships" now?

Dude is making teammates take cuts now so he can stay put.

"King" James.

Now all you peasants - grovel at my feet.

JB is very right. Any superstar that claims to be about winning then ransoms the team with a crippling contract should be flogged.

"King" James.

Now all you peasants - grovel at my feet.

JB is very right. Any superstar that claims to be about winning then ransoms the team with a crippling contract should be flogged.

well, he is from Ohio....

I hear all of you and I'm not a Lebron fan. But you know, he's the best player on the planet and he's taken that team to the finals four straight years. He deserves to get paid. Wade is done, he should be kissing Lebron's backside for the chance to keep being relevant. Bosh is a good player and he's getting tooled here by potentially taking less than Wade. I don't have any problem with Lebron forcing them to take a pay cut so the team can get more players - they aren't premier players. Nobody is holding a gun to their heads, they can say no and call his bluff.

I hear all of you and I'm not a Lebron fan. But you know, he's the best player on the planet and he's taken that team to the finals four straight years. He deserves to get paid. Wade is done, he should be kissing Lebron's backside for the chance to keep being relevant. Bosh is a good player and he's getting tooled here by potentially taking less than Wade. I don't have any problem with Lebron forcing them to take a pay cut so the team can get more players - they aren't premier players. Nobody is holding a gun to their heads, they can say no and call his bluff.

Yes Lebron is the best player on the planet. No argument. But it would be refreshing if he said, "I will make plenty of money on my endorsements and previous contracts. I'm going to take a substantial paycut so the team can put more all stars around me."

Yes Lebron is the best player on the planet. No argument. But it would be refreshing if he said, "I will make plenty of money on my endorsements and previous contracts. I'm going to take a substantial paycut so the team can put more all stars around me."
Isn't that what he did on his current contract? He only changed his tune when ownership cut overall payroll, let people go and they lost in the finals.

Isn't that what he did on his current contract? He only changed his tune when ownership cut overall payroll, let people go and they lost in the finals.

Going from $19m to $17m isn't really a paycut. If he (or any mega superstar) decided to sign for $6m and give the team room to build would be more genuine if the player was about winning. As they all seem to claim.

I think this one might be like religion and politics :).

[if we were talking about Kobe, who is clearly on the downside of his career and has a max contract, I'd agree with you]

I think this one might be like religion and politics :). [if we were talking about Kobe, who is clearly on the downside of his career and has a max contract I'd agree with you]

Haha. Sports debate.

Should be noted. I have no problem with a player going to get paid. Just don't lie saying you're doing it because you want to win.

Haha. Sports debate.

Should be noted. I have no problem with a player going to get paid. Just don't lie saying you're doing it because you want to win.

You might check in on Dirk and see if we've got room on the fan bandwagon because that's exactly why he's about to take a big pay cut.

This will be the first time that LeBron will be the highest paid player on his team. LeBron had no reason to take a pay cut, but he ensured that at least Wade took a deserved pay cut to possibly make room for more players to come in. LeBron was going to get max money whether he stayed or left and I firmly believe that he would have tested FA if Wade opted in (assuming LeBron is still coming back to MIA). Also, I think that the best player in the world taking a significant pay cut would have made some ripples leading up to the next CBA discussion in a few seasons.

I can see it now...

News Flash: LBJ agrees to 5 mil a year allowing Heat to build all star team.

4 years later he has 2 more championships.

Joe Public: "MJ or Kobe never would've took less to build all star team. LBJ bought those 2 championships!!"

The only way I see LBJ being loved the way he should be is to return to Cleveland and win a championship with whatever worthless team they put around him. Even if it's only one ring.

I honestly have been paying more attention to where melo might go than where lebron will!

xP0nLLZ.jpg

That has to be awkward for Jeremy Lin. Although, Houston has made it no secret that they are adamantly trying to move him. Still can't be good seeing another player wearing your number on a display put on by the team that you are on.

I honestly have been paying more attention to where melo might go than where lebron will!

Just another team for him to ruin. He's a cancer and I'd avoid him like the plague.

This James to Cleveland thing is interesting it appears.
James' agent says make the best offer you can.
Cleveland must make moves to dump contract(s) to do so.
Can you imagine if they offer the max contract after trading away players and future picks only to get snubbed? He would quickly become an even bigger villain than he already is there.

All kinds of stuff going on up here on the local stations.
Gilberts plane with cavs reps supposedly in Miami yesterday.
Some cavs d league player saying Miami will be somber I'm just a few days on twitter then deleting it.

And ray Allen saying he may follow lebron anywhere

Strictly from a PR move, it makes all the sense in the world. James has been a guy forever that cared what people thought. Some do, some don't and its neither a good or bad thing. To give you an example, Magic did, Bird and Jordan didn't. They now have pieces in place, can make the cap room and welcome the best player in the league home.

I can just only imagine if they do the moves and he goes elsewhere though. Spurned twice including the 2nd time having to clear space to even make the offer. Cleveland fans would go nuts.

Yeah a 2nd burn would be brutal.

Luckily they dont have to really dump talent per se, just have to get rid of Jarret Jack, which I guess they have a deal in place with Brooklyn to do but need a 3rd team to come in and take back the turd from the Nets

Luckily they dont have to really dump talent per se, just have to get rid of Jarret Jack, which I guess they have a deal in place with Brooklyn to do but need a 3rd team to come in and take back the turd from the Nets

I'm not trying to pile on. But given Cleveland sports history, it feels like a spurn that will happen. Because, you know, it's Cleveland.

Yeah finding a home for MT for the Nets is the tough(er) part. I hope it works and would love to see him make this move.

Yeah finding a home for MT for the Nets is the tough(er) part. I hope it works and would love to see him make this move.

And poor Bosh and Wade are sitting around waiting lol

along with pat Riley and the Heat having no idea how much they have to spend on new players

And poor Bosh and Wade are sitting around waiting lol

along with pat Riley and the Heat having no idea how much they have to spend on new players

This was the only thing I am/was totally confused about. First it was "I want to see if we can build talent around me", but that is really hard to do without them knowing if he will be there, due to the structuring of the contract. Can you imagine the outrage in Miami if he walks after that comment. And they are stuck near the end of free agency holding the bag when they could have made a run at big talent with max contract or close?

Back