Angel Cabrera - HOF?

This is where it gets interesting. If someone lets say wins 25 times on the Asian Tour, are they in the conversation? Clearly a great feat, however not competing against the best in the world. So while it is the WORLD HOF, it still the HOF, not the Hall of Really Good Players.

Without majors, no. Is he a sure ballot guy, definitely not. But looking at some guys who have gone in, I think he has a case.

If Colin Montgomery got in, then Angel Cabrera definitely deserves to be in the HOF.

I think he's still short the requirement. Someone like DL3 with 20 wins including a couple Players Championships, and a PGA Championship isn't in yet.

He wins another major though like he's pretty capable of randomly doing though and I'd say he'd be in.

Based on overall victories yes, I think the majors help his stock as well!

But the Hall is full of people who aren't legends of the sport. Do you think Monty is a legend? Is Se Ri Pak a legend of the sport? Not to discredit the WGR, but unless your playing in the States on a regular basis its hard to get points on any other tour in the world, which is where he did most of his damage through out his career.

Depends on who you ask. I think most that follow women's golf would call her one.
25 wins on the toughest tour out there for her.
5 majors.

I think he's still short the requirement. Someone like DL3 with 20 wins including a couple Players Championships, and a PGA Championship isn't in yet.

He wins another major though like he's pretty capable of randomly doing though and I'd say he'd be in.

DL3 will get in once he retires. This is part of the problem I have with the WGHoF selection process. Phil is certain HoF, but I don't feel that he should be in yet because he is a active player on tour. I can't think of one other sport where you get to go into the Hall before your playing career is over...after some thought, Bowling is the other one.. But guys like DL3, Bernhard Langer, maybe even a Kenny Perry that have a resume that could put them in the Hall whos playing days aren't over, but wont get the recognition untill their playing days are over..

Depends on who you ask. I think most that follow women's golf would call her one.
25 wins on the toughest tour out there for her.
5 majors.
True, that might have been a bad example...after I thought about it she paved the way for Asian players and was very successful in her career. But she was the only female I could think of in the Hall other than Lopez and Anika who are probably without question Legends of the Sport..

But the Hall is full of people who aren't legends of the sport. Do you think Monty is a legend? Is Se Ri Pak a legend of the sport? Not to discredit the WGR, but unless your playing in the States on a regular basis its hard to get points on any other tour in the world, which is where he did most of his damage through out his career.

Monty, yes, but then I am Scottish (and European) so slightly biased :D

I was commenting purely on Angel Cabrera tho, not the merit of other members, a number of whom I'd disagree with. I do think "legend" status (however subjective that is) should be a requirement for hof.
But all just personal opinion.

I think Se Ri Pak is a legend in the women's game.

Monty, yes, but then I am Scottish (and European) so slightly biased :D

I was commenting purely on Angel Cabrera tho, not the merit of other members, a number of whom I'd disagree with. I do think "legend" status (however subjective that is) should be a requirement for hof.
But all just personal opinion.

Haha..i didn't even notice where you was from when I made that comment...haha..so yes I can see why you think that.. :D

I don't think Fred Couples is a Legend.

I don't think Fred Couples is a Legend.
This is a very interesting example, because MANY that follow the game extensively do not feel as though he belongs in the HOF.

I don't think so. I think if he played and won more in the PGA and euro tour I would say yes. But right now I think he could be in the conversation but just doesn't have the credentials to make him a shoo in.

This is a very interesting example, because MANY that follow the game extensively do not feel as though he belongs in the HOF.

I think of Couples(and DL3 as mentioned earlier in the thread), as underachievers. Both good guys, fun to watch, loads of talent, and 2 of my favorites. But if I take the fan part out of it, both underachieved in my opinion.

I think only something like 5 or 6 of those 50 wins came on the Euro or PGA tours and the rest must have come on some lesser Latin American tour. So I'm going to say he's had a nice career but it isn't HOF worthy.

I think of Couples(and DL3 as mentioned earlier in the thread), as underachievers. Both good guys, fun to watch, loads of talent, and 2 of my favorites. But if I take the fan part out of it, both underachieved in my opinion.

But in the example of Couples, does his Champions Tour record carry any Merit?

it adds to it now. But to me very little. Just like to me, Monty still has yet to win a major.

If not I think he drops down to 1 major, something like 15 wins, but has been a world #1, top 3 in all of the other and something like 9 top 10's in the Open Championship (I believe).

If we are excluding non PGA Tour wins, Id definitely go Couples over Cabrera.

It all really boils down to our validity of non PGA Tour wins and what they are worth

it adds to it now. But to me very little. Just like to me, Monty still has yet to win a major.

I can see that...and with that comment you have gave me a new thread idea...

The 2 majors and number of international wins make it a yes for me.

But is it completely about number of wins and majors? I feel names like Couples, DL3 and Daly all have been significant figures in the game for a long time and deserve a spot in the Hall. Like a 'contribution to the game' type of credential?

I think AC has been a great player but just doesn't have enough "quality" wins for HOF. 2 Majors are a strong point but there aren't enough PGA wins to go with those 2 majors in my opinion.

Cabrera is certainly an interesting example and an enigma, as he is one of the very few with multiple major wins yet has a habit of being terrible in any non major PGA event. A lot of times we run into guys with a lot of tour wins but little to any major wins, so Angel breaks the mold by appearing not to be a Lucas Glover type fluke major winner.

He's a fun player to watch and is certainly world class when his game shows up, but he hasn't done enough IMO to be HOF worthy. And now winning the Greenbrier by beating the likes of Hurley and McNeil doesn't really do much for me.

But is it completely about number of wins and majors? I feel names like Couples, DL3 and Daly all have been significant figures in the game for a long time and deserve a spot in the Hall. Like a 'contribution to the game' type of credential?

I think this is important. Bringing the game on, encouraging take up, representing the golf world well in non golf circles should all carry some weight.
If you had a player from a country where golf wasn't huge, who perhaps set up or sponsored academies, scholarships and youth development in that country, that would be worth consideration for a golf hall of fame regardless of tour success.

Back