Contest #1 - 2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

I will throw this out there. Dare to do things different! Start out with a honest and true assessment of your game, your mindset, and your mental strength. Write it all down and go from there. Realistic goals and expectations are important. Playing in the Grandaddy is different than anything the majority of us have done. It's a ton of fun, emotionally draining and full of sh!t golf dreams are made of.

Pay attention, junior, as I am the ZooCrew captain.

My point is this:

Same strategy coupled with same tactics will deliver the same results. I am honestly asking what each of YOU will be doing differently to prepare should you be picked for the event...
As individuals we can only work on our games and put in the effort in case picked for this amazing event. Last year I think THPers got a bit awed by the first class treatment by Callaway. (In no way is this a knock on #DreamTeam and what they did!) What I mean is that with such a grand event we may have been star struck and lost a bit of focus. This year it will be different. Yes the event is still grand and we have come to fully expect wild and crazy things when THP and #zoocrew get together. That wont change. What WILL be different is the focus on one goal #redemption. The driving motivator is the bitter loss from last year. We are hungry for the win and you can bet many THPers will be prepping hard in case their name is called!

P.S.
I love callaway and #Zoocrew. Just not during the match :)

Great thoughts Kevin. THPMC challenged me to do some things differently and it resulted in more improvement than I have ever experienced in my game. I have every reason to believe that a continuation of that approach would lead to even more improvement and a positive contribution to the defeat of the #ZooCrew.

JM

Last edited:
I was honestly asking trying to get people into the mindset of improvement. There's no "game strategy" or anything like it that will make a material difference in December, in my opinion. You see that every year in the Ryder Cup. It ultimately comes down to guys playing better than the other team. Chemistry is overstated. Matching players is part of it, yes, but there are a bunch of ways to do that effectively...
Two words: Putting

My point is this:

Same strategy coupled with same tactics will deliver the same results. I am honestly asking what each of YOU will be doing differently to prepare should you be picked for the event...
I will take the same approach as I have for the Morgan cup.

Do what it takes to be playing my best golf at the time of the event. That may be more lessons, more time on the range, more short game work and more time on the course than "normal".

I'm in control of only my game, outside of that I trust captain Cookie to put me and my teammates in the best pairings possible to deliver the win.

I think experience in pressure packed events help for something like these few days in december. Something I've been lucky to do in the past with the Morgan Cup, again in a few weeks with this year's MC and hopefully again in December.

Not at all. I think we were rooting as much for the THP guys as we were for each other, and I think that will be the same. And I'm sure our team will be slightly different than it was last year, so we'll have some good energy going for this year too.

The biggest thing I can see that's different between this event and just normal driving range practice and weekend play with your foursome, is the nature of match play golf. It's a lot different than stroke play events. When you have to make a 3 footer for a half, most people don't ever try to make those putts playing weekend golf with their friends. That part is tough to adjust to, and the momentum of these kinds of match play tournaments is much, much different than just regular stroke play outings or events.
Have a little time here so I let you you know I've been working on all aspects of my new equipment. Dialing in distances on irons is the most important for me. As far as match play and putting. I play in $ matches every Sunday and all puts are in the hole no gimmies. Puts a little pressure on your putting for sure. New Tank Cruiser helped greatly. Real game situations are the best for me to improve. There will be something on the line every weekend the rest of this year. Can't practice pressure, have to live it.

I was honestly asking trying to get people into the mindset of improvement. There's no "game strategy" or anything like it that will make a material difference in December, in my opinion. You see that every year in the Ryder Cup. It ultimately comes down to guys playing better than the other team. Chemistry is overstated. Matching players is part of it, yes, but there are a bunch of ways to do that effectively...
I have no doubt the lucky THPers will do their best to improve the most possible before the #TheGrandaddy!!! Watch out ZooCrew!!!

Quick question. I promise I'm being honest and not trying to stick in the needle...

Last year, team THP had a great captain and awesome dude, Hawk. Great guy. Team THP also had good golfers. Team THP also said before the match that they would beat team Callaway by using great chemistry and timely, good play. Team THP was defeated easily and soundly (I say that as a matter of fact, not editorializing one bit).

So, what will team THP do this year to get a different, and more desirable to THP, result in the Grandaddy?

We learn from our mistakes. Perhaps we took you clowns a little lightly last year. This year it's a whole new ball game. We are coming for you. No prisoners. The belt is coming back to THP.

I think the atmosphere will be different this year, THP'ers have an idea of what to expect & what is expected of them.

My point is this:

I will prepare just like I did for #TheKing. I was as prepared as I could be and like all of honest internet golfers we are going to have good rounds and bad rounds. Saturday morning my game (along with my partners) was on fire, saturday afternoon I lost my game but I still did everything I could to save a point where I could. Sunday morning my game was iffy at best but ground my ass off to slow down the MVP of the other team miller time.
But long story short, if I get in I have know idea if I will have my A game or B game, but I will fight my ass off for every hole and help #BasementDwellers beat the #zoocrew

What am I doing?

Challenging myself every day, keeping myself out of a comfort zone, never becoming complacent. Setting goals and achieving them. Not accepting failure. It is a journey, and being in #TheDOS isn't the end goal, being the best golfer I can be is the end goal.

How do I prepare for the trashtalk? I deal with it every day. Golf matchplay should be a cakewalk compared to the crap I put up with from co-workers and vendors LOL.

Also think that the #ZooCrew had an advantage last year as they knew what was going to take place and our guys were completely floored at every turn. Not to say that this year's guys won't be in for the time of their lives and still be floored, but they have an idea of what to expect in terms of the competition. #TheDos is going to go down as one for the ages. I hope I can represent THP and get the job done.

I would challenge anyone gets into the #TheGrandaddy to play in some local, state tournaments, or club championship to get an idea of how their game holds up under pressure. It will tell you what you need to work on, what you are capable of, and will help tremendously as a prep for #TheGrandaddy.

My point is this:

I can't speak for anyone else on here, but I can say that I have been working on my game 100% more than I used to. Not just for #TheGauntlet, not just for the hopes of being chosen for The Granddaddy, but to better my everyday play. Not just the physical part of the game but the mental aspects as well. Short game practice, putting, bucket after bucket, anything and everything I can do to better myself. Strategy and tactics may very well be the same, that will fall to the hands of Captain Cookie to make those decisions. And at the end of the day, the results may very well be the same. That has yet to be determined. But no matter the end results, I honestly do believe that the THP'ers led by Captain Cookie will leave it all out on the course just as Team Hawk did last year. Win or lose, I will take my hat off, shake your hand and the hands of the #zoocrew, and say what an honor and privilege it was to tee it up against you.

And then I'll buy you a drink. :thankyou:

Quick question. I promise I'm being honest and not trying to stick in the needle...

Last year, team THP had a great captain and awesome dude, Hawk. Great guy. Team THP also had good golfers. Team THP also said before the match that they would beat team Callaway by using great chemistry and timely, good play. Team THP was defeated easily and soundly (I say that as a matter of fact, not editorializing one bit).

So, what will team THP do this year to get a different, and more desirable to THP, result in the Grandaddy?

Just catching up on today and this is such a great question. For me individually, I will be doing what I have already started. Becoming increasing unhappy with status quo on the golf course, suffering the same pitfalls, same rough patches on the golf course - I am changing it up. I was already good to hit the range and do what I thought was enough. The results aren't what I hoped, so it obviously not enough and I am changing that. Already setting up lessons with some of the best instructors in Indiana, working with a trainer to push my workouts to a new level, overhauling my diet - all changes I have been waiting for the dare to be great push, when all I needed to do was look at my goals and realize I wasn't getting there. So while THPers will be finishing up their preparation for the Morgan Cup, I am starting mine. Timing has never been my strong suit. :)

This is an enormous opportunity to represent our THP brethren. If I am fortunate to be picked, I will be ready for whatever Captain #Cookie requests from me. I trust him and have the utmost confidence that he will learn from Captain Hawk's experiences and help lead us to victory. If I am not picked, I will be here cheering my friends on and still pushing for the goals I have set for myself.

Last edited:

I can only speak for myself. If chosen, I will spend extra time focusing on the deficiencies in my game. That's not different than I would do normally, but it would be more intense. Much like the Morgan Cup, I would treat this as not just another outing with friends, but a serious competition. Obviously fun will be had, but a competitive nature is a must to me.

I have a Callaway hitting net in my garage. I can get in almost any kind of ball striking practice I want to at the drop of a hat. It's an advantage that would come in massively handy from October on where I live. Making the best out of the environment that I live in, doing all I can.

As for the match play concept, I play in match play a lot with friends, and I rarely take gimmes, never when I am playing stroke play on my own. I've missed too many short putts to know they are givens. Gimmes are gifts, not expectations. I expect nothing to be given to me on a golf course. If I choose to GIVE a gimme to someone, that's my choice as well.

If I can go out there, and at the end of the event say that I did the best I could from the time I was picked until the time it was over, then however the results fall out I cannot control that. I imagine the others picked would feel the same.

Last edited:

Well this year hopefully I get a crack at the #poocrew. That may change a thing or two for THP. And not to mention, flukes don't happen two years in a row

Here in DFW, we are starting to work together to help each other prepare. We have a few in the MC and our rounds are becoming more like prep work for those involved. Match play rounds instead of stroke play. Fun rounds are great, but working on making every hole have real meaning. Experiencing hitting that pressure shot, or a putt to halve the hole. We are preparing as a team and THP and Cookie will be prepped and ready for the challenge.

I think a lot of people have echoed probably how I would prepare. Yes, I work on short game, driver, irons. There are always a few trick shots ill spend a bit of time trying for those "unique" trouble shots. All im really trying to do is hit straight and be close to the pin. but then, a couple weeks from a tourney, its really all about my mental game. Im not going to tweak my swing anymore. Im going to play my swing. Now its all about understanding my swing and where its going to put the ball. I make a game plan accordingly. In the last week, ill play regular rounds, but my practice is really only pitching, chipping and putting. For me, thats where I try to beat the field. Its all mental. Day of competition, im completely comfortable with my game, and I play within myself.

~Rock

I'm not gonna sit here on my phone and pretend I know what it will take to win this thing. All I know is I would work my hardest to get my game in the best shape it can be in. Whatever it takes.

Not just physically but mentally as well. I would be in touch with my captain and keep him apprised of the status of my game and be honest with my strengths and weaknesses.

Lastly soak up all the awesomeness that is the #TheDos and represent THP in the way we all expect. Remember this is a gentleman's game after all.

Last edited:

Well, first of all, I don't see surgery and recovery this year in the last week of October and lasting through the second week of November cutting me down to just a few weeks of prep right before I leave.

Secondly, I'm not traveling to Europe this summer for work like I did last year, losing additional practice time.

Third, my equipment is FINALLY fit to me. I've shot no worse than 82 in my last four rounds and that was with equipment that wasn't properly fit... 82 and it didn't fit?! Yeah. That's a BIG difference this year.

Fourth, the ultimate distraction, for me, occurred during Day One last year- my Father went into the hospital and I got the text mid-round, second match, day one. My mind was gone for the rest of that day and on Day Two. Honestly, if Pete plays just SLIGHTLY better, he beats me. I pulled out a win, one-up, but I cost Pluff and I in match Two when we had a two hole lead vs JRod and Goryl after 2 holes. I didn't hit a fairway or green the next 7 holes... My mind was in Florida...

Lastly, I know what to expect.

I'd love another shot. 2 points in three matches ain't bad, but give me the equipment I have now, and no distractions, and we get all three of those points, Harry. No doubt. No doubt.

One quick note to all 8 THP'ers that make it on the team: play EVERY round, the rest of the year, with music in your cart! If you don't learn how to play with music going all round, you're screwed right off the bat. It's an enjoyable atmosphere of fun and conversation and music. It's not a serious, win-at-all-costs environment. Don't expect it to be. If you do, you will violate Rules 1 through 3!!!

One quick note to all 8 THP'ers that make it on the team: play EVERY round, the rest of the year, with music in your cart! If you don't learn how to play with music going all round, you're screwed right off the bat. It's an enjoyable atmosphere of fun and conversation and music. It's not a serious, win-at-all-costs environment. Don't expect it to be. If you do, you will violate Rules 1 through 3!!!
I already play with music in the cart.

FinRot, an opportunistic disease thats easily controlled.
#OriginalSuperVillain @hackersparadise @JasonFinleyCG

Last minute entry but I don't know if its close to some of the great post on here.

To answer Harry's question, I've worked my butt off to get my game to where it's at this year. Lessons have paid off and I believe it showed at #TheKing as I was named MVP. As cool as that was, my team lost. That was a longgg ride back to GA knowing that no matter how well I do individually, it's a team event.

If I'm lucky enough to be on Team #BasementDwellers, I will be there to support my team and get them as ready as possible to take down the #ZooCrew at #TheGrandaddy. I don't ever want that feeling of winning the battle, but losing the war again. Excited for the opportunity and even if I don't make it I'll still be here rooting on my fellow THPers in their journeys.

Redemption is coming.

Back