Cleveland 588 TT Irons Preview Thread

Could anybody compare the forgiveness level of these to something like a Titleist 714 AP1? Considering the 588 irons, but not sure whether TT or MT would be best for me. I hit an MT last year and it was freakish easy, but I wonder how much harder these would be to hit, because aesthetically I like them much better.

Hey SkiBum! I actually hit both demos yesterday and I will say that the MT's were more forgiving, yet the TT's were more rewarding. They felt great there's no denying that...I'm considering going with TT's 8-9-PW and then MT's through the longer clubs.

Hey SkiBum! I actually hit both demos yesterday and I will say that the MT's were more forgiving, yet the TT's were more rewarding. They felt great there's no denying that...I'm considering going with TT's 8-9-PW and then MT's through the longer clubs.

Thanks for the response Slice! How much more forgiving would you say? Is it a little bit, or is it like night and day?

I wouldn't say night and day. They felt about equal on mis-hits with the MT's getting a slight advantage simply because of how they're built haha, but I think big thing for me will be the wider sole of the MT's. I tend to get a little chunky sometimes and the wider sole will be very helpful in that department.

Could anybody compare the forgiveness level of these to something like a Titleist 714 AP1? Considering the 588 irons, but not sure whether TT or MT would be best for me. I hit an MT last year and it was freakish easy, but I wonder how much harder these would be to hit, because aesthetically I like them much better.

Pretty similar to the AP1.

It's a forgiving iron, even though it's labeled "tour' trajectory. Big undercut cavity and a fairly wide sole. It's a true game improvment iron, but like the AP1 it has a somewhat smaller profile than some others. The squared off toe sort of helps there, as does a slightly shorter blade length - at least to my eyes.

I think the Ap1 has a little deeper tone at impact.

As for the MT's, I just don't put them in the same ballpark as the TT's. They are considerably less attractive on all fronts and I actually hit them shorter than the TT - likely a weighting issue. There's a little difference in forgiveness, but again - TT is a true GI iron.

Thanks Slice and Hawk. Both of your comments definitely make me lean towards TT if I go the 588 route - I like the AP1 and would be quite happy with that level of forgiveness. And the wide soles on the MT's are a bit of a turn off for me as well - I'm looking for a little wider sole than my CMB's for sure, but the MT's would be a really huge change. The TT sole width would be much easier to swallow.

Hawkster, out of curiosity, which is a better iron in your mind, the AP1 or the TT?

Thanks Slice and Hawk. Both of your comments definitely make me lean towards TT if I go the 588 route - I like the AP1 and would be quite happy with that level of forgiveness. And the wide soles on the MT's are a bit of a turn off for me as well - I'm looking for a little wider sole than my CMB's for sure, but the MT's would be a really huge change. The TT sole width would be much easier to swallow.

Hawkster, out of curiosity, which is a better iron in your mind, the AP1 or the TT?

If you offered me either I'd take the 714 based on feel, the expanded GW options, and the tungsten toe weighting. Looks are a toss up. I love the squared off look of the TT, but the AP1's are more attractive in the bag.

Have to factor in price of course, which is considerably higher with the AP1.

If you offered me either I'd take the 714 based on feel, the expanded GW options, and the tungsten toe weighting. Looks are a toss up. I love the squared off look of the TT, but the AP1's are more attractive in the bag.

Have to factor in price of course, which is considerably higher with the AP1.

Yeah, price is a definite factor for sure - I am predominantly looking used, so the gap is a little smaller, but there is still a significant difference. Really considering a set of these now, thanks for the help.

No problem man. From a performance standpoint, these will hang with most anything out there. Small differences for both the good and bad, but overall well worth the price they are now.

Have you been fitted at all?

For me I prefer the feel of the TT v the AP1. Similar end results, however. TTs had a slight edge in performance on the monitor so I wound up with those. The sole in the short irons do get large, especially the gal wedge, but you can really go down after the ball and not dig.

I own the TT's and really like them.

I demo'd Titleist irons in the past, they were nice, and they look awesome, but I couldn't justify the price.

Also, with the TT's, you do have a good option to mix and match at the higher end of your set. I have a 4&5 ALT, and then TT's on down.

Have you been fitted at all?

For me I prefer the feel of the TT v the AP1. Similar end results, however. TTs had a slight edge in performance on the monitor so I wound up with those. The sole in the short irons do get large, especially the gal wedge, but you can really go down after the ball and not dig.

I haven't lately, but I was last year. Recommended shafts for me are Dynalite Gold S300, PXi 5.0, and KBS Tour R+. There is a set of the TT's that I'm eyeing right now with KBS Tour R's in it, but I'm not so sure about the ultralight stock shafts - never played anything that light before.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Really pondering adding some of these and some MT's to my altitudes for a combo set! Have to find a way to try the short irons in these to see how they blend. Kind of hesitant to pull the trigger since Cleveland has a new evolution of the 588 wedges that's supposed to come out the beginning of August. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. Ha

Really pondering adding some of these and some MT's to my altitudes for a combo set! Have to find a way to try the short irons in these to see how they blend. Kind of hesitant to pull the trigger since Cleveland has a new evolution of the 588 wedges that's supposed to come out the beginning of August. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. Ha

That combo set sure is deadly. Having played the MT/TT combo set for quite some time, and seeing the benfits others saw out of the Altitudes in the long irons, I can tell you that set is just sweet. Irons progress so well together, and Cleveland really did something that no one else on the market has yet matched and made 3 sets that flow so well in and out of each other to make the perfect combo.

That combo set sure is deadly. Having played the MT/TT combo set for quite some time, and seeing the benfits others saw out of the Altitudes in the long irons, I can tell you that set is just sweet. Irons progress so well together, and Cleveland really did something that no one else on the market has yet matched and made 3 sets that flow so well in and out of each other to make the perfect combo.

All I have heard about the combo's are good things! Has me tempted! Just would hate to buy them then have a new line come out. Haha It's around that time for a new cycle isn't it?

Just got the 9, PW, DW & SW TT's. Couldn't be happier. Already seeing game improvement (though I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that they're customized to my swing, as opposed to my old off-the-shelf set of clubs).

Deals are so good on these irons right now its tough to pass up.

Other thing concerning me is the TT's are only available 3-7 individual irons from the Cleveland Shopping site.

Other thing concerning me is the TT's are only available 3-7 individual irons from the Cleveland Shopping site.

I noticed that too - kind of weird!

Yup, makes me think an updated or new line is coming out maybe. Hard to pull the trigger.

i just picked up a brand new set of these for $300. played them yesterday and love the heads but hate the shafts. i have some old DG S300s laying around i may throw in to them. has anybody tried this combo? does it launch too dang low?

When I had mine, I used different shafts from stock also. I think the s300 would be a decent combo. I say do the 7 iron and try it out.

Fyi I have hit these at the test cart with s300 in them when I thought these would be my MC options. and that combo was fine. The head itself has good launch to it and it was not too low by any means for me.

i just picked up a brand new set of these for $300. played them yesterday and love the heads but hate the shafts. i have some old DG S300s laying around i may throw in to them. has anybody tried this combo? does it launch too dang low?

been a while since I hit any DGs. I know my i95 Steelfibers are pretty stout and the flight is perfect for me but I tend to hit fairly high. Great flight with this combo.

Back