Taylormade SuperDeep Driver

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The internet has been buzzing for a few months as people gear for the launch of this driver. For those that are going to say that "Another driver?" I will be the first to say that this one does not really count. It is being produced in limited quantities and is for a VERY small portion of golfers out there. And it has a price tag of $600.

This was brought "back" because so many players loved the 510 TP. While down in Doral we had a task of interviewing a series of players about the 510 TP as they get ready for this launch. It hits fairly soon.

The TaylorMade R9 SuperDeep TP Driver is a pure player's driver. It has a 460cc head with an ultra-deep clubface, creating a lower moment of inertia and forward center of gravity for increased workability. The two weight ports, FCT and MWT, create 448 launch condition combinations and the new extra-low-torque Aldila R.I.P. shaft is engineered for strong players seeking a mid launch-angle and low spin.

TM7702_im_____0_gsi

$600? With the limited quantities approach, is this TM just driving demand or is this really for 'certain golfers?'

• Admin
$600? With the limited quantities approach, is this TM just driving demand or is this really for 'certain golfers?'

TH,
This is a driver being made for specific people. There will be a few that buy it because they think it is the "best" driver, but that is not the case at all. It is a market that is out there for them and this club in the wrong hands would not be a very good driver.

From what I've read on it this club is for high swing speed players. $600 is steep but you do get a very nice Aldila RIP shaft which is a pretty high dollar shaft. I'll be sticking with my ST

TH,
This is a driver being made for specific people. There will be a few that buy it because they think it is the "best" driver, but that is not the case at all. It is a market that is out there for them and this club in the wrong hands would not be a very good driver.

thanks JB, you answered my poorly phrased question for me. I was trying to get at the angle of "I bought a $600 driver and it's the best" arguement that some people may use to justify the purchase

• Admin
thanks JB, you answered my poorly phrased question for me. I was trying to get at the angle of "I bought a $600 driver and it's the best" arguement that some people may use to justify the purchase

Oh, I think there will still be some of that. There always is in anything why would golf clubs be any different...haha

Reminds me of the R7 and then the R7 Limited launches. Pretty much TM modus operandi.

• Admin
Reminds me of the R7 and then the R7 Limited launches. Pretty much TM modus operandi.

I would agree in regards to the R9, R9 460, and then R9 SuperTri. But again, this is a different animal. Releasing in small numbers because it is a very different driver for a small percentage of golfers.

Re: Taylormade SuperDeep Driver

Only $100 more than the Supertri TP not bad if you like the shaft very similar to buying the Supertri and adding a Miyazaki shaft

Only $100 more than the Supertri TP not bad if you like the shaft very similar to buying the Supertri and adding a Miyazaki shaft

That is a really good point. They are very different drivers though. But you are right about the price. Dead on.

The Superdeep is a really cool looking driver. I have my doubts about whether or not it would be the right club for me though. I had the original R7 TP which was fairly deep faced and I had problems getting the thing in the air. I've got a Supertri TP on the way so I'll just stick with that. Has JB or anyone else heard from Taylormade if they plan to release the Black Superfast Burner TP in the USA? That is one that I'd be interested in if it comes out.

The Superdeep is a really cool looking driver. I have my doubts about whether or not it would be the right club for me though. I had the original R7 TP which was fairly deep faced and I had problems getting the thing in the air. I've got a Supertri TP on the way so I'll just stick with that. Has JB or anyone else heard from Taylormade if they plan to release the Black Superfast Burner TP in the USA? That is one that I'd be interested in if it comes out.

I can certainly ask again. Last I heard, the answer was no, but that was a few weeks back.

I can certainly ask again. Last I heard, the answer was no, but that was a few weeks back.

That would be great if you could ask them again about the black burner superfast TP. It is pretty tempting to order from tourspec, but it would be like $600 with shipping.

Ryan

That would be great if you could ask them again about the black burner superfast TP. It is pretty tempting to order from tourspec, but it would be like $600 with shipping.

Ryan

At this time, there is not.

I saw some pics from the Transitions and it looked like there were several guys like CHIII that were using a superfast that looked a little different. The graphics on the top were silver with a red line going around the outside of the crown instead of the black w/ red around the outside. I still haven't seen anyone on tour using the Superdeep yet, I suppose even for those guys its still a niche driver that not everyone will be using.

I saw some pics from the Transitions and it looked like there were several guys like CHIII that were using a superfast that looked a little different. The graphics on the top were silver with a red line going around the outside of the crown instead of the black w/ red around the outside. I still haven't seen anyone on tour using the Superdeep yet, I suppose even for those guys its still a niche driver that not everyone will be using.

It is just the SuperFast TP. On the phone with them now ironically. He says there is NO release on schedule for it.

The SuperDeep is being made up for a few that will be testing it out.

I am glad this driver would NOT be good for me. I just saved $600 :act-up: Guess I can out and spend $300 and still feel like I saved the same. Sweet looking driver and I am sure it will be picked up by those who need and some who dont.

By the way JB, since they are in limited quanity will they numbered? Not sure if that was already asked/answered.

I am glad this driver would NOT be good for me. I just saved $600 :act-up: Guess I can out and spend $300 and still feel like I saved the same. Sweet looking driver and I am sure it will be picked up by those who need and some who dont.

By the way JB, since they are in limited quanity will they numbered? Not sure if that was already asked/answered.

From what we have been told, no, they will not be numbered. Perhaps a good idea though.

We just confirmed that one of these is on its way to us for review.

I am anxious to read your review on this. I am not looking for a driver, just curous about how this one stacks up.

We just confirmed that one of these is on its way to us for review.

I am really interested in seeing what you think about this driver, I just got the supertri but I am always struggling with drivers and shaft combos because of my high swing speed although i have recently been working on a slower steady speed (not going so well), I am always willing to try something new to see if it helps...

WICKED. can't wait.

I am really interested in seeing what you think about this driver, I just got the supertri but I am always struggling with drivers and shaft combos because of my high swing speed although i have recently been working on a slower steady speed (not going so well), I am always willing to try something new to see if it helps...

Yeah, this one will obviously not be for everybody. Limited number produced, $700 price tag, etc...

But for those that loved the R510 TP, this is the reincarnation of it.

I've been playing the original Nike SQ shafted with a Grafalloy Blue X and just picked up this driver last weekend (9.5deg TM R9 Superdeep TP with S-flex). This thing is a game changer. I can honestly confirm reports that ball speed is indeed faster off this face. In addition, there is definitely some effect on spin rate. Before hitting this driver I never knew what a 280 yard carry, frozen rope looked like. There is absolutley no baloon whatever in the ball flight! People talk about workability of a driver off the tee - for me, this hasn't been part of my game since Ti heads got larger than 300cc (i just never could work the ball like I could with the old steel heads). Yes, I could put an antihook swing on my Nike but the ball probably only moved 10% of the time (same for an antifade swing). All of a sudden, with the TM R9 Superdeep TP the ball moves again. It's incredible to have this in addition to picking up some distance! As far as negetive...the ball flight does seem to launch a bit higher. This should not be confused with a "baloon" type flight because this is not the case. Because of this fact I'm not so worried but I think I would prefer to a little bit lower launch. The guys at the shop said they would be surprised if I didn't like the flight - they weren't wrong but I've ordered the 8.5-deg X-flex just to satisfy myself.

Back