The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

Cmon. He hand picked his talent. People are quick to forget where Wade was when James got there. And Bosh was hand selected and in his prime and an all star.

No doubt. Lebron hand picked talent in Miami. But that doesn't mean that Michael Jordan didn't have just as good (if not better) team around him.

Plus, Lebron never played with the same Wade that carried Miami to the championship.

Its two fold.
1. If he does that, he is ridiculed for needing too much talent to win (see Miami).
2. Ego plays a role in all superstars, it needs to. You want to be the man, and there the best out there is more of a cog.

I had ego typed out, but I deleted it. I'd have an extremely hard time putting up a case against that logic, no doubt about it. But isn't that exactly what he did with Miami?

You mean an ESPN update about absolutely nothing except someone with the Cavs is in good spirits? Sounds about right.

The exagerations of the ability of the players surrounding James in Miami is outrageous and has gone on for 3 years. Those guys were extremely talented and hand selected by James himself.

I think that Lebron's four years in Miami were actually really successful. It gets scrutinized more because of the "not 3. not 4. not 5" speech.

The exagerations of the ability of the players surrounding James in Miami is outrageous and has gone on for 3 years. Those guys were extremely talented and hand selected by James himself.

I think the better argument might be when he dragged cleveland to the finals with a pretty bum cast over there. Would have been something else if he had won back with that team.

I had ego typed out, but I deleted it. I'd have an extremely hard time putting up a case against that logic, no doubt about it. But isn't that exactly what he did with Miami?

To an extent yes. Less about the talent he went to and rather the way it happened though. Openly recruiting players to join him on what they called a "super team". If he was so dire about a super team, it could have been done in Cleveland with enough power, but this was easier...And we all know athletes prefer easier.

You mean an ESPN update about absolutely nothing except someone with the Cavs is in good spirits? Sounds about right.

yep, they are better off giving weather updates

I should have used "" around update

To an extent yes. Less about the talent he went to and rather the way it happened though. Openly recruiting players to join him on what they called a "super team". If he was so dire about a super team, it could have been done in Cleveland with enough power, but this was easier...And we all know athletes prefer easier.

I won't disagree with that. But I'd argue he had a ton of control in Cleveland as well, especially with how the team was structured on the court. It really didn't surprise me that he had big guys inside and a few guys surrounding him that could shoot threes. The lack of superstar talent was an issue, of course, but with how they are currently set up, I feel like Lebron can have a great deal of success in the latter stages of his career, at home, with the fans who adored him (and will adore him again).

The problem is LeBron lost once, and should have twice, to the Spurs, and once to the Mavericks. And that was with LeBron's hand-picked team. Mavs had only one superstar, and Spurs have two, both on the downside of their career.

So I think either the quality of players in the NBA has improved so that one single guy can't dominate head and shoulders over everyone else, or LeBron just doesn't have that separation from the field like previous greats did. Personally, I think it's the later.

Which always makes me laugh. Michael had a really good supporting cast. He played with HOFers, in their prime. Lebron got a washed up Shaq, an old Ray Allen, and a declining Wade.

I forgot Lebron played w/ Shaq. As for the other guys Allen could still play on any team in the league, as could Wade they are just not starters anymore playing 38-40 minutes a game, they could give you a good 20 minutes a game.

Personally i feel the Heat's idea to "save" Wade for the playoffs back fired & when the playoffs came around he was not in full game shape & was too rusty

I won't disagree with that. But I'd argue he had a ton of control in Cleveland as well, especially with how the team was structured on the court. It really didn't surprise me that he had big guys inside and a few guys surrounding him that could shoot threes. The lack of superstar talent was an issue, of course, but with how they are currently set up, I feel like Lebron can have a great deal of success in the latter stages of his career, at home, with the fans who adored him (and will adore him again).

You are right and its overlooked far too often. He did have a say. THe issue was/is, his say was wrong. He thought he needed certain players and they were not the right fit for the time in his career. Management gets lambasted over this (and in some ways right, others wrong). But there is no doubt the anger management had was because of this and his input helped cripple that team as much as it did build it.

Chris Sheridan @sheridanhoops · 3h Rules of journalism state that anonymous sources should only be used to report facts, not opinions. @Chris_Broussard breaking that rule.

where are those rules or are they like the "unwritten" rules in sports... :laughing:

You are right and its overlooked far too often. He did have a say. THe issue was/is, his say was wrong. He thought he needed certain players and they were not the right fit for the time in his career. Management gets lambasted over this (and in some ways right, others wrong). But there is no doubt the anger management had was because of this and his input helped cripple that team as much as it did build it.

Still baffles me how one could not win a title with Boobie Gibson, Delonte West and Jamario Moon...man those were the days.

Still baffles me how one could not win a title with Boobie Gibson, Delonte West and Jamario Moon...man those were the days.

In three years, you will be saying hte same thing about Mario Chalmers, etc. These moves by Miami were not good. Oden? Really? Beasley?

Makes no sense how he couldnt win with them. He even had freaking DONYELL MARSHALL and DAMON JONES!!!!!

It always cracks me up when people want athletes to give up millions.

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA 50s Dwyane Wade left cross-country flight with LeBron James to Miami still unsure of which way James is leaning, sources tell Yahoo Sports.
I'm not buying it. Wade is one of his best friends. I'd bet alot of money that they have talked about whats going on and whats going to happen.

It always cracks me up when people want athletes to give up millions.

just trying to level the playing field for all....

wait that's the wrong thread. Nevermind.

How happy do you think the NBA is right now with all of this coverage?

For example, just in this thread. There were 452 posts in between game 1 and basically the draft. There has been almost 600 posts not even in the last 72 hours. Everywhere you look, people are talking about LeBron and the NBA.

How happy do you think the NBA is right now with all of this coverage?

For example, just in this thread. There were 452 posts in between game 1 and basically the draft. There has been almost 600 posts not even in the last 72 hours. Everywhere you look, people are talking about LeBron and the NBA.

Sadly I think it will be a bit like the World Cup. Fever pitch for a short period of time and then fizzle a bit.

Back