Your 2014 Ryder Cup Picks

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Most of you guys know here that I have a real love for the Ryder Cup. It's by far my most favorite sporting event out there. It trumps everything else for me so anything Ryder Cup I love. Figured I'd start a little thread and see how similar or different the THP community would form their teams. Say you were Tom Watson or Paul McGinley and there were no points system you had to pick your 12 players who would they be?

My 12 would be....

1.) Rickie Fowler
2.) Zach Johnson
3.) Ryan Moore
4.) Jordan Spieth
5.) Matt Kuchar
6.) Steve Stricker
7.) Keegan Bradley
8.) Bubba Watson
9.) Jason Dufner
10.) Patrick Reed
11.) Phil Mickelson
12.) Tiger Woods

I couldn't leave Tiger off. Not sure how well he'll play leading up or during it. But just couldn't leave him off the team. I have a feeling Tiger would be able to turn it on for the Ryder Cup. My list isn't the order I would select them, but those are the guys right now I'd be the most comfortable with leading Team USA during the Ryder Cup!!

Good thread. Should be some interesting picks.

Love seeing Rickie on this list. He played so solid in 2010. I was literally mad for months and months after the Ryder cup last year so I'm ready to watch the US bring it home

If I had to pick today, I'd leave TW and Phil off the team.

Man this one is going to take some thought, a lot of top guys are playing mediocre golf right now and even though they come alive for this event the next few weeks will be important.

I really really thought hard about leaving Lefty off. But looking at the current top list for the Americans I'm not sure I saw any other guy on the list I could take over him. Tiger was another one, he isn't playing stellar now and who knows how he'll play the next few weeks but I just couldn't do it. I think this thread will be fun to follow to see how often our teams change over the next few weeks.

Love seeing Rickie on this list. He played so solid in 2010. I was literally mad for months and months after the Ryder cup last year so I'm ready to watch the US bring it home

I think Rickie has always been a good match play player and yes I was extremely disappointed last year.

I really really thought hard about leaving Lefty off. But looking at the current top list for the Americans I'm not sure I saw any other guy on the list I could take over him. Tiger was another one, he isn't playing stellar now and who knows how he'll play the next few weeks but I just couldn't do it. I think this thread will be fun to follow to see how often our teams change over the next few weeks.

The Ryder cup is all about putting and Phil isn't putting well at all. I'd pick Kenny perry over him.

The Ryder cup is all about putting and Phil isn't putting well at all. I'd pick Kenny perry over him.

Yeah that's something I didn't really think about much. Very good point Panda.

Yeah that's something I didn't really think about much. Very good point Panda.

Phil could improve between now and then. And I'm sure he'll be in the squad but it better get better. He and Keegan are a good pair.

Phil could improve between now and then. And I'm sure he'll be in the squad but it better get better. He and Keegan are a good pair.
This was my exact thought. I loved the way Phil and Keegan played together last time around; and hearing Keegan talk about their pairing on Feherty, I'd almost expect it to be a lock that they are paired up again this time around (as long as Phil makes the cut).

You would be crazy to leave Woods and or Phil out of the team, all that experience has to count for something! And with the right partners it's almost auto points for the American team. I love the Ryder cup even though I'm not from either camp, it's still some of if not the best golf you can watch!

Same here they really need to prove something over the next 2 mo.

Who would you bring in for TW and lefty? With the Ryder cup is form or experience more valuable? I would like to see some rookies on both teams step up.

Rickie Fowler
Jimmy Walker
Zach Johnson
Webb Simpson
Jordan Spieth
Matt Kuchar
Steve Stricker
Keegan Bradley
Bubba Watson
Jason Dufner
Phil Mickelson
Tiger Woods or Jim Furyk (depends how Tiger Plays in the next month or so)

Rickie Fowler
Jimmy Walker
Zach Johnson
Webb Simpson
Jordan Spieth
Matt Kuchar
Steve Stricker
Keegan Bradley
Bubba Watson
Jason Dufner
Phil Mickelson
Tiger Woods or Jim Furyk (depends how Tiger Plays in the next month or so)
I like you picks except for Webb, and the bottom two. Why Webb?

This is probably my starting point and I'd adjust this according to how the next few weeks go. I think I'd go with Compton as a Captains pick, that guy has the stuff to get it done I think.

Rickie Fowler
Jimmy Walker
Zach Johnson
Webb Simpson
Jordan Spieth
Matt Kuchar
Steve Stricker
Keegan Bradley
Bubba Watson
Erik Compton
Kevin Na
Jim Furyk

I like you picks except for Webb, and the bottom two. Why Webb?

looking down the list of current standings Webb is in the top 12, he has 2 tops 3's in his last 4 events, and he is #9 on tour strokes gained putting

This is probably my starting point and I'd adjust this according to how the next few weeks go. I think I'd go with Compton as a Captains pick, that guy has the stuff to get it done I think.

Rickie Fowler
Jimmy Walker
Zach Johnson
Webb Simpson
Jordan Spieth
Matt Kuchar
Steve Stricker
Keegan Bradley
Bubba Watson
Erik Compton
Kevin Na
Jim Furyk
this is a good squad, who would you pair with Na

this is a good squad, who would you pair with Na

I'll tell you I think Spieth and Na would do some damage together. Like you Webb concerns me a little as does Stricker a little but right now I don't know who'd I replace them with lol. There's just nobody setting the world on fire.

Dustin Johnson
Bubba Watson
Jimmy Walker
Ricky Fowler
Jordan Spieth
Jason Dufner
Matt Kuchar
Patrick Reed
Brendon Todd
Kevin Na
Jim Furyk
Steve Striker

I'll tell you I think Spieth and Na would do some damage together. Like you Webb concerns me a little as does Stricker a little but right now I don't know who'd I replace them with lol. There's just nobody setting the world on fire.

That might be a match made in heaven. I like SS he just shows up. Maybe the lack of fire will unite them as a team

Current Ryder Cup Standings

Rank Player Events Points
1 Bubba Watson 18 6828.14
2 Jimmy Walker 22 5379.51
3 Dustin Johnson 19 4844.50
4 Matt Kuchar 21 4716.48
5 Jordan Spieth 22 4547.70
6 Jim Furyk 17 4302.83
7 Rickie Fowler 23 3831.43
8 Jason Dufner 18 3466.29
9 Patrick Reed 20 3301.39
10 Brendon Todd 22 3177.98
11 Phil Mickelson 19 3095.09
12 Webb Simpson 21 3086.07
13 Chris Kirk 21 3038.95
14 Harris English 23 2957.50
15 Zach Johnson 22 2888.58
16 Keegan Bradley 24 2828.76
17 Kevin Na 20 2750.66
18 Ryan Moore 21 2687.98
19 Erik Compton 22 2458.79
20 Matt Every 21 2429.78
21 Kevin Stadler 21 2257.58
22 Gary Woodland 19 2202.88
23 J.B. Holmes 18 2190.34
24 Kevin Streelman 21 2125.68
25 Charley Hoffman 21 1947.80

Through July 6, 2014

With six tournaments left before Watson makes his Captain's picks, my guess is the top 5 or 6 are pretty safe. The six tourneys include this week's John Deere, and the Reno/Tahoe Open, the latter of which I don't think will affect the standings very much. There could be a good deal of movement in the last 3 or 4 spots that make it in automatically. I expect Zach Johnson to make it in on his own, and perhaps Simpson. Kirk and English have played solidly all year and could move up if they continue that play. Na is playing well right now, but, Keegan has really been inconsistent. Before I get to windy, here are my picks:

Bubba Watson
Jimmy Walker
Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar
Jordan Spieth
Jim Furyk
Rickie Fowler
Webb Simpson
Zach Johnson
Patrick Reed
Harris English
Tiger Woods

I think if Tiger looks good when he returns, Watson will pick him. The only way Phil gets on the team is if he wins one. He just hasn't played four good rounds in any tournament this year. That list is not necessarily who I'd like to see on the team, but, who I think will make it.

I know the thread is more of a who would you like on the team deal but the Captains won't have that option. The current top 9 are

1. Bubba Watson
2. Jimmy Walker
3. Dustin Johnson
4. Matt Kuchar
5. Jordon Spieth
6. Jim Furyk
7. Rickie Fowler
8. Jason Dufner
9. Patrick Reed

If I were making the last three picks today I would go:

10. Zach Johnson (Great competitor & awesome pairing with Dufner)
11. Keegan Bradley (Best competitor on tour IMO and a must pick assuming his game continues trending up)
12. Harris English (Young guy with lots of game and unlike Phil, TW, Stricker etc. no first hand memories of the last decade of Ryder Cup failures)

Honorable Mention is Ryan Moore. Just feel like he would be an awesome match play guy.

Interesting pairings I'd consider:

English & Spieth or Reed & Spieth (Conventional wisdom would be to pair these guys with Furyk & Kuchar. I say shake it up. In order to win this "road game" the US needs a pairing to be unexpectedly dominant)

Fowler & Watson (I just think Fowler could help keep Watson's emotions in check. Not sure how well the games match but not sure Bubba's game matches great with anyone)

Back