Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
After going and spending a day hitting almost every club imaginable my mind is in full blown ponder mode. Curious as to if any of you don't play a fairway wood? I know a few guys locally who do low lofted hybrids instead claiming they get the same carry and are easier to control when going for a par 5 in two. After hitting an 18 degree xhot2 235 I am curious now as that's about the length of my 16.5 fwy off the deck

I am not a fan of low low lofted hybrids. I will take the extra mass of a fairway wood. 8 days a week

If it is easier to hit for you and goes the same distance I don't see why you would not put it in play instead of the fairway . What is the difference when you tee both up?

I prefer fairway woods over hybrids, but I'm sure there are few guys who go the other way. I'm not sure #Cookie plays any fairway woods.

I also prefer fairway over lower lofted hybrids. Seems like anything under 24-25 I just don't hit as well as a fairway in its place. The hybrid I do have plays better out of the rough though than the fairway wood does

I also prefer fairway over lower lofted hybrids. Seems like anything under 24-25 I just don't hit as well as a fairway in its place. The hybrid I do have plays better out of the rough though than the fairway wood does

This is me exactly too. Lowest I go is 22 noe

This is me exactly too. Lowest I go is 22 noe

Can we just share a bag in a couple weeks? We can even split the ownership. I'll go there days, you go three days, we'll alternate Sundays.

Can we just share a bag in a couple weeks? We can even split the ownership. I'll go there days, you go three days, we'll alternate Sundays.

Haha might be fun

I just put a 3 wood in my bag for the first time since high school. I only used a hybo and driver for years

I just put a 3 wood in my bag for the first time since high school. I only used a hybo and driver for years

You only used driver lob wedge for decades.

You only used driver lob wedge for decades.

I actually had a gap between the hybo and driver so I had to fill it. Drove a green with the 3 wood last round so I think it'll stay for a bit.

No right answer ... By I like my woods ...

I actually had a gap between the hybo and driver so I had to fill it. Drove a green with the 3 wood last round so I think it'll stay for a bit.

The gap wedge must fit in nicely :)

Probably a good move ha

I have played a 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 hybrid, and 4 hybrid in recent years. I find them to be ideal in different situations and both can be easy or hard to hit.

I have played a 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 hybrid, and 4 hybrid in recent years. I find them to be ideal in different situations and both can be easy or hard to hit.

This is true. I like my 22 hybo for versatility

After getting fit and understanding my yardages I put a 3W in the bag. I use it primarily on tighter par 4's and on par 5's that are pretty wide open. My hybrids are a result if being able to hit those over a 5 or 4 iron more consistently. For me it's purely a course management decision.

I currently don't play any fairway woods. I have Driver, 3H and 4H. But I am looking into it a bit more to see if it's worth it to me, distance wise, to add one to my bag.

This is true. I like my 22 hybo for versatility

My 22* right now is stellar off the tee, fairways, rough, and even around the green for unique times. These things are so personal, I say whatever works for you is what you should do because who I am to say what is right and wrong (not that anyone has).

My 22* right now is stellar off the tee, fairways, rough, and even around the green for unique times. These things are so personal, I say whatever works for you is what you should do because who I am to say what is right and wrong (not that anyone has).

Totally true dude. Heck Buck could break 80 with a driver lob wedge and putter. Nothing else needed.

I'm all for having a hybrid in place of FWs if you are loosing distance. If you loose distance then I wouldn't make the change. I'd also want a repeatable swing if I was going to make the change. A good day with hybo should dictate anyone's decision.

I'm playing 15° 3w, 19° 3h and then 22° 4h and they seem to fill the gaps just fine for me. Like others mentioned I'd go with what you hit best. No sense in carrying a fw if you can't hit it

I also love the hybo more because I can hit it better out of the rough so going after a par 5 in 2 is a no brainer I'd never try that with the same lofted FW

I'm playing 15° 3w, 19° 3h and then 22° 4h and they seem to fill the gaps just fine for me. Like others mentioned I'd go with what you hit best. No sense in carrying a fw if you can't hit it

I'm almost the same - 15* fairway then 19* 3h before I go to irons. It works well for me. A good friend of mine, however, doesn't play a fairway in favor of carrying an extra wedge. Works out well for him, as he's usually a mid-low 70's scorer. If it's a long par 5, he'll hit his hybrid for his 2nd shot, or if it's a tight fairway he'll do a 9-3 driver swing that gets him around 220 dead straight.

See I rarely hit my FW off the deck simply because the risk isn't worth it. I control my hybrid I had better than my FW

Back