2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished our first DDP yoga workout and man this is exactly what I've been looking for. The stretching was phenomenal and the workout gets the heart rate up and the sweat pouring all through dynamic resistance rather than impact moves.
I was doing the hot yoga in Rochester before I moved and I loved the stretching aspect - it felt amazing. I need to find a place here in Indy to get back into it

30 minutes of cardio followed up by a protein shake with blueberries and a banana.

40 minutes of cardio then spent time at the range. Came home to a bowl of Turkey chili.

I went for my first voluntary jog in maybe a decade. I'm still alive.

5 miles yesterday on the beach ! Loved it!

I went for my first voluntary jog in maybe a decade. I'm still alive.

Good job! Keep it up, man!

5 miles yesterday on the beach ! Loved it!

Nice! I'm gonna miss the beach runs!

I did my last (probably) beach run this morning: slow & easy - able to talk with my brother as we ran 3 miles & walked 2.5 (total before & after). That brings my weekly running total to 21.5 miles - all on vacation! It will be interesting to check my weight when I get home tomorrow - I'm curious to see if I could've possibly lost weight on vacation - that would be a first!

Well I have had some 'good' news today as far as my exercise plans go

As many of you know, I started a new job recently which is only a couple miles from home, so Jen has been dropping me off in the morning and I have been walking home, so by the time I get home tonight I will have walked about 40 miles (10 per week) since I started here, although that doesn't include any mileage walked playing golf in that time so it is probably 50+ miles if I was to work it all out

I always knew that our department was scheduled to move around September time, so I was hoping to lose a bit of weight before I had to go back to driving to work (and it coincided with us going on holiday in September so thought it would be good to lose a bit before then as well)

BUT, we have just been told today that the move is now not going to happen for most likely another 12 months.......which means I have got a lot more walking / cycling / jogging that I can use as my daily exercise to get fitter and lose (with any luck) somewhere between 20-25 lbs and get back below 200lbs for the first time in about 5 years after a couple of years of bad injuries :act-up:

3 miles yesterday. There is just something about the beach that makes me want to run.

Well I have had some 'good' news today as far as my exercise plans go

As many of you know, I started a new job recently which is only a couple miles from home, so Jen has been dropping me off in the morning and I have been walking home, so by the time I get home tonight I will have walked about 40 miles (10 per week) since I started here, although that doesn't include any mileage walked playing golf in that time so it is probably 50+ miles if I was to work it all out

I always knew that our department was scheduled to move around September time, so I was hoping to lose a bit of weight before I had to go back to driving to work (and it coincided with us going on holiday in September so thought it would be good to lose a bit before then as well)

BUT, we have just been told today that the move is now not going to happen for most likely another 12 months.......which means I have got a lot more walking / cycling / jogging that I can use as my daily exercise to get fitter and lose (with any luck) somewhere between 20-25 lbs and get back below 200lbs for the first time in about 5 years after a couple of years of bad injuries :act-up:

Glad to hear it Doc! Here's to getting back out there to reach your goal!

I was definitely feeling the effects of that jog so I took yesterday off to rest and recover. My boss had a box of donuts at her desk yesterday which I walked past about 50 times without touching one. I had a little stress eating at lunch today, but nothing too bad at all. Came home and got my workout in then made a nice dinner of stir fry chicken and veggies.

Leg day today. 3 sets of squats, leg press, extensions and curls followed up by 30 min of cardio.

Came home to a blueberry/banana protein shake

My gym is doing a challenge that includes pullups as one of the events (the other two are deadlift and kettlebell snatches). Started a pullup program this week to try to get better there. We'll see how this goes, pullups have never been my best exercise...

Man I'm loving DDP Yoga. Did the wake up 10 minute workout before leaving for the course this morning and I was already nice and loose when I got to the range

Man I'm loving DDP Yoga. Did the wake up 10 minute workout before leaving for the course this morning and I was already nice and loose when I got to the range

That's a really good idea - I might try getting a short yoga/stretching workout in when I get up in the morning, especially if I'm heading to the course.

I need to work it back into my routine. I always felt great when doing it.

Anyone else do the Stronglifts program and have the app? I started it today to switch it up and I'm not a fan of using machines.

5 sets of 5 reps. Today it was squats, bench press and barbell rows. I also threw in deadlifts, too. 30 minutes of cardio afterwards.

Anyone else do the Stronglifts program and have the app? I started it today to switch it up and I'm not a fan of using machines.

5 sets of 5 reps. Today it was squats, bench press and barbell rows. I also threw in deadlifts, too. 30 minutes of cardio afterwards.

I do that program and it's legit. Follow the program to a T however. Do not mix in deadlifts on the days when you're not supposed to. Your legs will be overworked otherwise. Start lighter than you think you should. It adds up quick. Focus on your form to start. Engrain the proper movements that way when you go up in weight, you won't have bad habits and you will lower the risk of injury.

I do that program and it's legit. Follow the program to a T however. Do not mix in deadlifts on the days when you're not supposed to. Your legs will be overworked otherwise. Start lighter than you think you should. It adds up quick. Focus on your form to start. Engrain the proper movements that way when you go up in weight, you won't have bad habits and you will lower the risk of injury.

Yeah I went really light. For some reason I thought it said 1 set of dead lifts every workout. I'm really worried about my technique though. Going to have to have someone watch to make sure I'm not working my back.

Yeah I went really light. For some reason I thought it said 1 set of dead lifts every workout. I'm really worried about my technique though. Going to have to have someone watch to make sure I'm not working my back.

Watch the videos on stronglifts.com they're good and wet helpful. And importantly - they're correct.

For the deadlift, remember that your shoulders are always above your hips. And the bar will stay very close you your legs throughout the lift.

If in doubt. Take some video of your lifts and send it to some of us. We will help you out.

Watch the videos on stronglifts.com they're good and wet helpful. And importantly - they're correct.

For the deadlift, remember that your shoulders are always above your hips. And the bar will stay very close you your legs throughout the lift.

If in doubt. Take some video of your lifts and send it to some of us. We will help you out.
The bar should almost rip the skin off your shins!!!

Yup. They can be miserable hahaha.
Rumor is, that can make a grown man cry, but I have no recolection of that lol.
Did it once and hurt almost as bad as when I ripped my bicep tendon off the bone

Rumor is, that can make a grown man cry, but I have no recolection of that lol.
Did it once and hurt almost as bad as when I ripped my bicep tendon off the bone

Finding a bar with a good smooth section is important. Ha !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back