Silver Scott 845's?

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I picked up a set of these for my 14 yo son yesterday because he's kind of shown interest in playing along with me... The set was 3-pw with Sw included but they couldn't find the 3 iron. I asked if they would knock a few bucks off the price (nope) but for $50 I can't complain or argue. Either way if he doesn't like golf then I'll have a right handed set to try to learn on myself (to switch over from lefty) in the future.

now all I need is a bag and putter for him, driver, and woods also... (Nothing I have is right handed so he's kind of handicapped there)

im im stoked that he's interested in playing so I may have a golf buddy before too long. Now to get us to the range and see how well he does (and try to talk the wife into letting us get lessons)

Congrats. Was it one of hte original Tommy Armour lines of 845s? If so, they were created by one of the best. The recent lines are from a house brand (generalization) from Sports Authority. For a beginner either should work fine.

I don't know if they're original or sports authority brand... How can I tell? They have grips that say tommy armour on them and they're not in too bad of shape so that's good.

I don't know if they're original or sports authority brand... How can I tell? They have grips that say tommy armour on them and they're not in too bad of shape so that's good.
In my opinion one looks modern and one looks a bit more vintage. I'm mobile so can't post images of both right now. But truthfully both will be solid for this case.

Here is the original;

10i5nj4.jpg

Loved the 845's back in the day! They were Loooooonnnng.

JM

I still have my 845's. I don't know if I will ever get rid of that set. Great sticks.

Be the ball!!

Great set of clubs. Glad to hear, he is enjoying the game.

Two of my buddies still play the originals and love them, I hope he picks up the game.

I have a full set of 855's right now but I don't think I have ever gamed the 845's, but I remember when many many players played them in the day. Jim Gallagher Sr. was the PGA Pro at a nearby course and he sold Tommy Armour stuff and was on their staff. My 855's were a gift from him to our current PGA Pro who then gave them to me. I just gamed mine a week or so ago, and they still play as well as they did then.

845's will be a very good starter set.

I took a look at the clubs in the garage and they look just like the one Hoosiergolfer posted. Now I'm tickled that I was able to find a set of original Tommy Armour Silver Scott 845's for $50. Awesome!

Beware of the guy rocking Tommy Armours and a sheepish grin at the course. Keep your billfold tucked away. He'll take every skin. Never saw a shark lose a skin with the TA's.

That's what I'm hoping for... my son to be great at golf and support me in my not so old age

I played the TA 855's when I was 15 and first started playing. It was my first "real set" of clubs. Previous was my dad's clubs that were probably already 15 years old and my dad, brother and I would all share them. Fond memories of those 855's.

I played with a set of the 845s for years. Probably some of my favorite all time clubs. When I was picking up the game, these and the Eye2 were the clubs I remember seeing most in people's bags.

I did the same thing but I got the 845s and a set of Hogans. He liked the Hogans better so I'm keeping the 845s for visiting guests.

that is a great set of clubs for most beginners. you did not say how old or big your son was, but just be sure the weight and flex are ok for him. to heavy or to stiff can make for a very frustrating start,

My dad has a set of originals that I use for out of town friends. They still play great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best irons every made imo. I had a set with Loomis graphite shafts that I shot some low rounds with. Wad definitely the peak of my golfing career.

Been playing the 845 oversize for 15 years. I want new irons but can't kick these out of the bag. Might reshaft them at some point...

Been playing the 845 oversize for 15 years. I want new irons but can't kick these out of the bag. Might reshaft them at some point...
If looking for a reason to change you could check out other Hoeffy designs. The 845 was his first set and he made quite a few great sets afterwards.

If looking for a reason to change you could check out other Hoeffy designs. The 845 was his first set and he made quite a few great sets afterwards.

I didn't realize that was his first set of clubs. That's a pretty impressive start to a career.

845s were also my first 'real' iron set. While I was playing them, though, I first started to learn how to draw the ball, but then I started to hook the crap out of the long irons because of the offset. After a couple years of hooking I switched to my first set of blades (Ram FX Tours - now that was a great iron set).

Back