Graphite iron shaft question....

Sjc_81

Reaction score
Handicap
??
Quick background.....I bought my last set of irons back in 2006, MP60s which after one change ended up with project x 6.0 shafts (I really like this set up)

After 5 years away from the game I've started playing again and am considering a change of clubs - graphite shafts are top of my list due to a few niggly pains which I notice I don't suffer when swinging graphite.

I have demoed quite a few different irons over the last month and finally got to try the apexs with recoil shafts in stiff f4, heads felt great but I didn't feel I could make my normal swing or go after a shot like I can with my clubs.

Does anyone have any graphite shaft recommendations that might play a little more like the px or would it be worth trying a stiffer recoil?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalky

Hey sjc!

I'm surprised to hear you didn't feel like you could make a normal swing with the Recoils, they're actually designed to play like steel and can hold up to some staggering swings, think maybe it could have been a mental thing? New graphite like the Recoils/MCI's/Aerotechs are not at all like the graphite of old, these are designed to give the performance of steel with the benefits of graphite (vibration dampening, and in the case of the Recoil tech energy transfer). Perhaps another try or maybe try the next flex, best bet would be to go somewhere that you can see the actual numbers though.

i believe a big part of the difference for some golfers is that most people don't realize how heavy a steel shaft is compared to an iron graphite shaft. I know, for me, my initial recoil 680 F4 shafts were too light for my personal taste. I still hit great shots with them but wasn't able to get the same confidence that I had before with steel shafts. Now I have the Recoil 95 F3 shafts and a nice smooth swing will get the job done each time and just about yard per yard, on average, equal if not longer than a well struck shot with quicker, go after swing made with steel shafts. I would recommend graphite to alot of people that want to enjoy golfing without feeling the shock and force on your elbow and arms. The shafts are just as stiff and consistent as steel if not better, IMHO.

i believe a big part of the difference for some golfers is that most people don't realize how heavy a steel shaft is compared to an iron graphite shaft. I know, for me, my initial recoil 680 F4 shafts were too light for my personal taste. I still hit great shots with them but wasn't able to get the same confidence that I had before with steel shafts. Now I have the Recoil 95 F3 shafts and a nice smooth swing will get the job done each time and just about yard per yard, on average, equal if not longer than a well struck shot with quicker, go after swing made with steel shafts. I would recommend graphite to alot of people that want to enjoy golfing without feeling the shock and force on your elbow and arms. The shafts are just as stiff and consistent as steel if not better, IMHO.

The 6-hundred lines are indeed lighter weight, but the 125's are right there with most steel options in terms of weight.

Thanks for the quick responses, appreciate it -

Possibly a mental thing - so a stiff in those would play similar to a px 6.0, well as much as possible allowing for different characteristics of the shafts?

Unfortunately there isn't anywhere nearby I can demo more options - so I'm currently trying to decide which head I like possibly the apexs or ap2s which I haven't tried yet - then if I think I am going to make a change I will travel to the titleist or callaway regional fitting centres (which are a fair drive away!) for a custom fit.

Which model of Recoils, Sjc_81? As Jman posted in another response, there are different series that have their own weight and flex profiles.

I have switched from steel to graphite, with my choice being the Recoil 110 Prototypes (lower torque than the regular 110s).

If you can try the different Recoil models, I'm sure you'll find one that works.

I wish id have paid more attention to the shaft - they only had two demo irons and he said it was the stock graphite recoil in stiff f4 but I didn't check the weight.

I will probably go back this Saturday, try them again and find out.

Think I am just very unsure of what irons to go for or if I will see any improvement over my clubs. It's not made any easier when I can't demo side by side!

I wish id have paid more attention to the shaft - they only had two demo irons and he said it was the stock graphite recoil in stiff f4 but I didn't check the weight.

I will probably go back this Saturday, try them again and find out.

Think I am just very unsure of what irons to go for or if I will see any improvement over my clubs. It's not made any easier when I can't demo side by side!

I could be wrong, but I believe the stock graphite offering are the Recoil 660/680s. These are, IMO, very light offerings (though some love them). The 95/110 are available as graphite option, for an up charge.

I can understand wondering if they will be "better" than your current set. A lot of folks hit that same dilemma.

I play the 125 f5 in recoils and they have been the perfect replacement for me. Before I played hard stepped x100 shafts and the recoil protos were a match there. Since I don't play much anymore I changed to matrix 130 and now to recoils again. Currently gaming the retail version so they do play a touch softer than the protons. I liked the feel of the matrix but they launched super high. I would definitely give the 110 and 125 a shot or even some steel fibers. I think any of those would be excellent options for what you are looking for.

I could be wrong, but I believe the stock graphite offering are the Recoil 660/680s. These are, IMO, very light offerings (though some love them). The 95/110 are available as graphite option, for an up charge.

I can understand wondering if they will be "better" than your current set. A lot of folks hit that same dilemma.

Thanks, I have been trying to find anywhere that has the 95/110/125 locally but no luck. I have a weeks holiday coming up so might go somewhere then where I can try them.

Yes (although I'm probably going off on what would be a different thread) i thought there would be a noticeable difference between what are 8 year old Mizunos and the latest crop - I have hit a fair few clubs so maybe I should talk about this elsewhere but so far maybe due to not finding quite the right shaft fit I'm a little lost!

I play the 125 f5 in recoils and they have been the perfect replacement for me. Before I played hard stepped x100 shafts and the recoil protos were a match there. Since I don't play much anymore I changed to matrix 130 and now to recoils again. Currently gaming the retail version so they do play a touch softer than the protons. I liked the feel of the matrix but they launched super high. I would definitely give the 110 and 125 a shot or even some steel fibers. I think any of those would be excellent options for what you are looking for.

Yes I was looking at trying the steel fibers. Only thing that had put me off a little was I read they aren't quite as good from a shock/vibration dampening point of view. Although that may be wrong, they are definitely on my list to try though!

Definitely need a demo of the heavier recoils, sounds like they fit the bill! It's a nightmare that there is no where local as I'm absolutely itching to swing them!

Thanks for the input.

I have graphite shafts but I know for most golfers its not a popular choice to have them on irons. I have no physical pains in my body but I just wanted graphite. I figure all drivers are graphite why not have graphite shafts on irons too? Makes sense to me and I hit well with mine over my previous steel sets so that's good. Personal preference but no real gain one over the other.

Personal preference but no real gain one over the other.

That really depends. Some would argue that there is definitely a gain for them personally.
For instance, the vibration dampening of graphite can greatly impact one's enjoyment of the game if its necessary.
Ball flight and weight are easier to manipulate in composite materials vs that of steel.

That really depends. Some would argue that there is definitely a gain for them personally.
For instance, the vibration dampening of graphite can greatly impact one's enjoyment of the game if its necessary.
Ball flight and weight are easier to manipulate in composite materials vs that of steel.

good point that is a factor. I have noticed the vibration dampening on the graphite more so over the steel and that could be a benefit for me in the long run.

Not only the dampening feel but feel itself. It's all subjective but going from X100's to MCI's was like night and day.

Not only the dampening feel but feel itself. It's all subjective but going from X100's to MCI's was like night and day.

Totally agree. Its a bit of a shock with the first few swings, but once you get into the "swing" of things, I dont even notice it.

Totally agree. Its a bit of a shock with the first few swings, but once you get into the "swing" of things, I dont even notice it.

The real shock came when I fatted one which one a sim mat usually kills and I hardly felt it at all.

Yes I was looking at trying the steel fibers. Only thing that had put me off a little was I read they aren't quite as good from a shock/vibration dampening point of view. Although that may be wrong, they are definitely on my list to try though!

Definitely need a demo of the heavier recoils, sounds like they fit the bill! It's a nightmare that there is no where local as I'm absolutely itching to swing them!

Thanks for the input.

I know what you mean about the demo. I ended up buying a pull on ebay for about $25 and put it in a head to try out. Was definitely worth the $25 it cost me to try out before I dropped the money on a full set. From the limited experience I have with Steel Fibers, they are more in between graphite and steel. What you give up in dampening (albeit very small amount given up) you gain in steel like performance. My hands down favorite would still be the prototypes, but I just couldn't swing $100 a shaft on a new set. Especially with 2 small kids at home and me only playing every other month.

The real shock came when I fatted one which one a sim mat usually kills and I hardly felt it at all.

That was my experience at the weekend, came off the range feeling like i could swing all day. My aches and pains are more minor niggles at the minute, i'm doing stretches and exercises and spoke to a sports physio which has helped a lot - I'm 33 and i thought if i can possibly take these pains out of the equation completely and also therefore maybe help reduce the risk of injury for when i'm older, that has got to be a big thing! On the other side i would be a little disappointed if i potentially lost some of the - ball flight/ shot shape/ distance/ accuracy i currently have. Since starting back i have (surprisingly) been hitting some of the best irons shots i feel i have ever hit, as expected though consistency is a good amount of lessons and time off.

I think you might want to pay attention to weight and swingweight a little more. Those PX 6.0 are very stiff, especially in the tip section. Recoil 125's, MCI 120's, RIP Tour 115's in the stiffer flexes. I can see why the stock Apex recoils wouldn't be that appealing to you. They are super light.

That was my experience at the weekend, came off the range feeling like i could swing all day. My aches and pains are more minor niggles at the minute, i'm doing stretches and exercises and spoke to a sports physio which has helped a lot - I'm 33 and i thought if i can possibly take these pains out of the equation completely and also therefore maybe help reduce the risk of injury for when i'm older, that has got to be a big thing! On the other side i would be a little disappointed if i potentially lost some of the - ball flight/ shot shape/ distance/ accuracy i currently have. Since starting back i have (surprisingly) been hitting some of the best irons shots i feel i have ever hit, as expected though consistency is a good amount of lessons and time off.

I feel you there. I am 28 and have bad tendonitis from years of bowling. Decided to move to graphite a few years ago and I have really seen a huge difference in my comfort levels both playing/after a round and just in my day to day routines. I figure the more I can alleviate damage to my joints now the better. I just look at my dad and all his joint issues and it doesn't look good for me in my 40's and 50's. Haha.

I think you might want to pay attention to weight and swingweight a little more. Those PX 6.0 are very stiff, especially in the tip section. Recoil 125's, MCI 120's, RIP Tour 115's in the stiffer flexes. I can see why the stock Apex recoils wouldn't be that appealing to you. They are super light.

Definitely add the MCI's to you test sheet op and the RIP's if you can. I wasn't overly impressed with the RIP shafts, but I used the proto versions and not the ones that came to be released to the market. The MCI are excellent, but from what I have seen they are pretty pricey. Just do you research and due diligence in testing what you can. Best thing you can do is try everything possible before making the commitment.

No real mention of the Matrix Programs in here. I would definitely add them to the list. They come in multiple weights and are top notch.

I know what you mean about the demo. I ended up buying a pull on ebay for about $25 and put it in a head to try out. Was definitely worth the $25 it cost me to try out before I dropped the money on a full set. From the limited experience I have with Steel Fibers, they are more in between graphite and steel. What you give up in dampening (albeit very small amount given up) you gain in steel like performance. My hands down favorite would still be the prototypes, but I just couldn't swing $100 a shaft on a new set. Especially with 2 small kids at home and me only playing every other month.

I have been looking out on ebay for a pull, but i live in the UK and so far i haven't seen any. I know what you mean about the cost of the sets, 4-PW in the Apex are around £899 here so by the time i've got a set of wedges it's not cheap - so i really want to be certain.

Have you looked in to that ebay worldwide shipping thing they have? Basically if you order something from a US seller, they ship it to ebay in KY and then ebay forwards it on to you. Not sure what costs are involved, but I know as a seller there was nothing for me to do extra. Haven't bought from outside US yet, but if I see something that interests me I may look more in to it.

Back