The Happy Happy Joy Joy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is huge! I mean it is awesome news, only two months and you will most likely be as good as new? clearly worth it! golf is fun and stuff, but living without pain!? I can't even imagine how great it must feel
Thanks Marty..I must say, the thought of pain free daily activities especially golf, has me absolutely thrilled with anticipation. (thanks for making it all the way through that novel...ha)

Thanks Marty..I must say, the thought of pain free daily activities especially golf, has me absolutely thrilled with anticipation. (thanks for making it all the way through that novel...ha)

as someone who is dealing with knee pain (I've got poth my knees busted multiple times while playing rugby and football), I can really understand how you feel, and that is a lot of goot things to look forward to.

I didn't know whether to put this in here or the Rant thread, because it's mixed with good and bad. But ultimately it belongs here.

Good news: Saw the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and got cleared to resume normal activities.

Bad news: I'll still have great amount of pain and limited movement due to the ongoing issue with my left knee, the cartilage is basically gone.

Bad news: While there he wanted to see current X-Rays of both knees to see where we are. The right knee (previously my good knee) is worst than the left one now. it basically is bone on bone all the way around. Not surprising as the pain in it has increased exponentially the past two months.

Good news: He approved me for the Knee Replacement surgery as soon as I'm ready. We talked about doing both knees at the same time. Pro's and Con's. Ultimately for me 80% pros.

Good news: When going over the recovery timeline, it is much shorter than I expected. He said in 3 to 4 weeks, I could be chipping and putting (I asked for all timelines to relate to work and golf..ha) In 6 to 8 weeks, I could resume full swings and playing. AS well as most other normal activities. That is a much quicker timeframe than I had originally planned on.

So with all that said, I have to pick a date. I have to make sure I pick a time that my Fiance will be free to help during the first two weeks of recovery, mostly the second week from what I undeerstand. I'll be in the hospital for about 4 to 5 days. then home doing in home PT for the next 10 days or so. I can resume driving after about 10 14 days from date of surgery.

So of course this is waiting until after the Bridgestone Championship. But I was thinking if I get it done early October, that 8 weeks puts me right in early December. Granddaddy 2 time frame. I didn't enter the first contest as I suspected I'd be recovering for 3 months or so. But now I'm thinking I might be able to play.

But in all honesty, thats too big of an event with too many plans that need to be made on both ends, to assume a recovery will go smoothly and on time. So I'll probably still pass on entering. I wouldn't want to throw any more wrinkles at JB and GG than I did for OC.

Well sorry for the long post, but wanted to share the good news that now that I began the process again, with a new Dr. relief is in site.!! I had originally had it planned in January with another Dr. but found this one in the interim. And it appears his credentials and success rate are among the very best in the DC area.

He is a former Military Dr. who worked with many wounded soldiers at Walter Reed that had lost limbs or had them severely damaged. So this old knee should be a piece of cake for him.
sorry that both knees need to be replaced but the prognosis sounds really encouraging. My Mom had her hip replaced and they had her walking the next day. She had to take it easy for about 6 weeks, but after that she was doing stuff she couldn't do pre-surgery.

as someone who is dealing with knee pain (I've got poth my knees busted multiple times while playing rugby and football), I can really understand how you feel, and that is a lot of goot things to look forward to.

I am just curious as I have no idea how health care costs (yeah I know we are spoiled), are you insured for this? this must be a pretty expensive surgery. feel free to not answer if the question is not appropriate
Don't mind answering at all. Well I don't have the exact cost yet, they will submit it the insurance company for approval (he expects no issue there based on the status of the knees) Typically my insurance would cover 80% and the rough estimate I had from the previous surgeon was about $21,000 per knee, I'm guessing that it wouldn't be double that for two knees, since we're talking one procedure instead of two separate stays. Meaning I'd be on the hook for about $4,000.

However, I feel I have a pretty good insurance plan. I have an out of pocket max of $2,100 per year for an individual, so that is very manageable since I've already paid about $1,000 this year. I just hope there is no fine print I'm missing :)

So sorry to hear about your knees as well, I know I've had some conversations with Ole Gray about his. And despite his most recent set back, he said the relief right afterward was so worth it.

sorry that both knees need to be replaced but the prognosis sounds really encouraging. My Mom had her hip replaced and they had her walking the next day. She had to take it easy for about 6 weeks, but after that she was doing stuff she couldn't do pre-surgery.
Thanks, he compared it to hip surgery, say hip surgery is like nothing to most people, they don't even realize they had it afterward. But the knees are the most stressed joint in body and feel everything.

Don't mind answering at all. Well I don't have the exact cost yet, they will submit it the insurance company for approval (he expects no issue there based on the status of the knees) Typically my insurance would cover 80% and the rough estimate I had from the previous surgeon was about $21,000 per knee, I'm guessing that it wouldn't be double that for two knees, since we're talking one procedure instead of two separate stays. Meaning I'd be on the hook for about $4,000.

However, I feel I have a pretty good insurance plan. I have an out of pocket max of $2,100 per year for an individual, so that is very manageable since I've already paid about $1,000 this year. I just hope there is no fine print I'm missing :)

So sorry to hear about your knees as well, I know I've had some conversations with Ole Gray about his. And despite his most recent set back, he said the relief right afterward was so worth it.

wow that is not to bad at all, stilla bunch of money, but still not as bad as I tought.
I really wish you all the best with that, keep us updated

don't worry about my knees, I am still not enduring enough pain to consider surgery, although it migh be needed in a few decades

My dad had his first TKR about 12 years ago, and the second this past December. He said the recovery for the most recent surgery was light years ahead of the first one. They were in the room moving his leg around the next day. He was playing golf again in less than three months.

My dad had his first TKR about 12 years ago, and the second this past December. He said the recovery for the most recent surgery was light years ahead of the first one. They were in the room moving his leg around the next day. He was playing golf again in less than three months.
Thanks. yep, the Dr. told me, they will have me out of bed walking the next morning at 7:30. Although I'm sure with a Walker. The 3 month time frame is closer to what I was planning on, but if it ends up being 2 months, you won't here any complaints from me.

Proud grandpa. My oldest daughter gave birth last night to Francesca Marie, a beautiful little lady, topping the scales at 7lbs, 10ozs. Mom and daughter are doing fine, as are dad and our other 3 grandchildren.

Will be heading to Detroit in the near future to see everyone in person.

I get to play alternate shot tonight with my daughter at her weekly golf clinic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get to play alternate shot tonight with my daughter at her weekly golf clinic.

So you tee off she duffs an approach. You knock it close she misses the putt. You tap in for bogey.

She says "don't blame me dad I only took two shots, you had 3" :)

Our application to adopt a dog was accepted! This handsome devil is making the trip from Tennessee to Massachusetts and we can pick him up Monday!
3utegenu.jpg

Oh he is so cute!! Rescue dogs are the best.

Congrats Bcape He is adorable. My HHJJ is this from tonight. Me, my daughter and my nephew just sitting on the front porch having an ice pop.

9yrysebu.jpg

Fiancé played her first two full golf holes today at her fourth lesson. Still excited to play golf and apparently ripped a 175Y drive down the fairway. Factoring tee box differences she landed right about where I normally hit my drive. Hoping to have a golf partner soon

I hope she says yes next week!!

pemyhuqa.jpg

I am off work for the next couple of days. Should be nice, it's been hectic around work.

I hope she says yes next week!!

pemyhuqa.jpg

I hope she's not in THP #SurpriseRuined Haha Good luck buddy. Please dont wear a flat brim. I am sure she will be blown away.

That is awesome. I am sure she will! Any special plans to ask her?

Nothing too crazy just a nice walk on the beach later at night and hopefully a nice clear night under a bright moon!!

I hope she's not in THP #SurpriseRuined Haha Good luck buddy. Please dont wear a flat brim. I am sure she will be blown away.

Haha she's not on THP! At least I hope!! And no flat brim will be worn!!

Wow Jimmy, nice ring! dont worry, she will say yes

Thanks Martin! Got the blessing from her parents tonight so I'm all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back