Are my old irons as bad for me as my new irons make me feel like they were.

drlawsoniii

Reaction score
Handicap
Guys,

I'm a 22 handicapper, been playing since high school, on the team. we had a coach if you can call him that, he was just the economics teacher who was there just to get a paycheck and make sure we didn't tear up the course. I have played a set of Titleist DCI 981s since that time. I just bought a set of Adams Idea Super S Irons and they are just amazing, or at least they were when i tried them at the store. (theyre being shipped as we speak). Were those 981s really that bad of a club for me?

Thanks

The 981 was a good iron. The Super S should be more forgiving for you. Do you know if the shafts are the same in both?

Not at all.
However despite what some believe there have been design advancements in terms of forgiveness, face materials and design that have really helped golfers.

well in the super s i have a regular flex steel shaft because my swing speed is down to 75 after a back surgery 5 years ago, the 981s had a true temper gold stiff steel shaft but those things i couldnt get in the air and i got zero distance out of them. i hit my 5,6,7, and 8 irons all about 140.

Sounds like you made a good decision in your new Adams clubs. I wouldn't regret your purchase at all. I think you'll find the new irons will help you enjoy the game more going forward.

Guys,

I'm a 22 handicapper, been playing since high school, on the team. we had a coach if you can call him that, he was just the economics teacher who was there just to get a paycheck and make sure we didn't tear up the course. I have played a set of Titleist DCI 981s since that time. I just bought a set of Adams Idea Super S Irons and they are just amazing, or at least they were when i tried them at the store. (theyre being shipped as we speak). Were those 981s really that bad of a club for me?

Thanks

I've tried several other newer technology irons and keep going back to my 981s.

Guys,

Thanks

Over the last couple years i've experienced a LOT of different iron heads, and I think one thing remains relatively true throughout: A perfectly struck blade feels absolutely amazing. With that in mind, as amateur golfers go, producing that perfect contact each time is unrealistic, and it makes sense to seek the forgiveness of a GI or even SGI iron. I've found the gap between feedback on well struck bladed irons are nearly comparable with their game improvement counterparts, without the reduction in forgiveness.

I think what you're experiencing is an easier to hit head that will offer great feedback even on mediocre strikes, not to mention the improvements in club build/materials/design over the course of 10 years since the 981s were made. I don't think they were bad clubs in their time, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing the 962s and 990s at one point in my life, but the tech today is world's different, and IMO, massively better.

Enjoy the new irons. It's amazing what they can do.

well in the super s i have a regular flex steel shaft because my swing speed is down to 75 after a back surgery 5 years ago, the 981s had a true temper gold stiff steel shaft but those things i couldnt get in the air and i got zero distance out of them. i hit my 5,6,7, and 8 irons all about 140.

If you are hitting your 5,6,7, and 8 irons all the same distance, I think it's more of a swing issue (casting/early release) than a club issue. However, having a shaft that is too stiff for you will usually cost you some distance.

As JB said though, there have been a lot of advancements in iron technology since the Titleist 981's. It's awesome that you found a great set of irons you enjoy though. Those Adams are very nice!

Let me know if you need some spares of your 981's these ones will be getting sold very quickly if the Super S's feel as good on the course as they did at golfsmith.

You will get more forgivness from the adams but both are very nice irons

I'll be quickly picking up the matching woods with the set, i hit those things a mile and dead straight. where my Titleist 983K driver i slice all over the place and cant get it more than 5 feet off the ground.

I'll be quickly picking up the matching woods with the set, i hit those things a mile and dead straight. where my Titleist 983K driver i slice all over the place and cant get it more than 5 feet off the ground.

Shafts can have a great impact on that as well as loft. The Super woods are great. I played a Super LS for a bit. If they made one in the 430cc range or lower I would still be playing it. Just remember, newer isn't always better, but it is always better to have clubs that fit your swing.

is there anything about the 983k that was / is detrimental? it had a regular shaft in it as well...

983k was an awesome driver - in 2003 or whenever it came out. It's pretty small though - so you're giving up forgiveness.

Not at all.
However despite what some believe there have been design advancements in terms of forgiveness, face materials and design that have really helped golfers.

Precisely. Despite what some like to shout from the mountaintops, things HAVE changed and improved to benefit golfers.

To the OP, glad you found something making the game more enjoyable, THAT is what its all about.

Precisely. Despite what some like to shout from the mountaintops, things HAVE changed and improved to benefit golfers.

To the OP, glad you found something making the game more enjoyable, THAT is what its all about.

Absolutely agree!. I used to be on the other side of the fence with my "blades", now with the PING i25's in my bag I'm going to break 70 very soon. (Thank you technology!)

Tech has come a long way recently with getting the ball higher and strait on every club in the bag. You may not see it on "every" shot on the course but it adds up over a round.

I can not really speak to the new tech as i just started really paying attention in the last 2 years. But what i will say is i cant wait to hear how you like the new irons, was looking at a set for my cousin. I hit them a bit, as a friend has a set, and I really liked the way they felt. But I am NO expert I am just an average hacker. Enjoy them!!!

haha, I've still got the 'ole Callaway X-12's .. got away from them briefly a couple times, came back to them real fast!

Back