Android Phone Thread

I just got a note 3 and my wife got an s5. Not a ton of differences from my perspective. Note is bigger (by about a half inch on the side and a half inch on the top) and has a better battery, has 32gb internal vs 16gb but both are micro SD capable so internal storage shouldn't be an issue. The s5 has a better camera but not a better video camera, and has a slightly faster processor but 1 gig less ram, and is a little lighter. Both are great phones IMO.

this is going to be a tough decision. I really like the note 3 but looks like based on processor it might be a S5 instead.

this is going to be a tough decision. I really like the note 3 but looks like based on processor it might be a S5 instead.
I just picked up my S5 on Tuesday and it's my first Android. I've had an iPhone for years and is definitely a learning curve but I think it's going to be worth it in the long run. There's just so much more these phones have to offer over an iPhone, but it also makes them trickier to navigate and adapt. I feel your pain though. I was between the S5, M8 or waiting for the G3. I went with the S5 but I have 2 weeks with it to decide if I want to keep it or switch to the G3. Which I will be testing once it is released.

I think they are close enough in power by the time you balance processor and ram that I'd let the other aspects of the phones be the deciding points. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. One thing that we did find out that my wife wishes she knew was that on the note 3 you can set custom text ringers for people in addition to the custom phone ringers. Not a huge feature, but to my wife that is something she really wants.

I got wild and crazy tonight and installed the developer preview of Android L on my Nexus 5. All I can say is wow, this is excellent and it's only the beta! I'll try to take some screenshots for everyone and post them on here. In the meantime, if anyone had any questions, fire away.

I got wild and crazy tonight and installed the developer preview of Android L on my Nexus 5. All I can say is wow, this is excellent and it's only the beta! I'll try to take some screenshots for everyone and post them on here. In the meantime, if anyone had any questions, fire away.
Nice. I remember seeing them announce Android L but haven't had a chance to really read up on it. What are the the benefits as compared to regular Android?

Quick question for you guys. It may sound dumb, but coming from iOS, everything was backed up on icloud, including apps and user settings. What's the best way to do that on Android, in case you loose your phone? So you can just restore and have all your apps, settings and home screen arranged the way it was. Because let me tell you, 3 days in and I'm finally set up to where I want everything and it was a lot of work!

Quick question for you guys. It may sound dumb, but coming from iOS, everything was backed up on icloud, including apps and user settings. What's the best way to do that on Android, in case you loose your phone? So you can just restore and have all your apps, settings and home screen arranged the way it was. Because let me tell you, 3 days in and I'm finally set up to where I want everything and it was a lot of work!
Not sure about all of the user settings and apps but with Google you can have all of your contacts backed up and photos can be backed up through Google +. I would also recommend Dropbox for photo back up.

You can have everything backed up through Google, however, I haven't used it myself since Froyo and it didn't work very well back then.

The great thing about Android is all of the options and customizations so I've never really worried about backing up settings and homescreens since I'm always changing everything anyway haha

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. I realized I have Verizon cloud, which came on the phone and is essentially like icloud. This seems to back up everything but the apps, so I'm gonna try thst for a bit.

Another thing.... Idk if it's just me or other S5 users out there notice the lag on this thing. I was hoping for snappy and quick response, but everything from multitasking, keyboard waiting to catch up, apps taking a bit to load. It's kinda frustrating especially the lag on the keyboard. I installed swiftkey and that helped a bit but not much it's still laughing pretty bad. I do love the layout and gestures of swiftkey though.

There must be something running that is slowing things down because while I don't have that phone I do have the note 3 and have no lag at all.

Can you take a look at running programs?

Also don't forget to stop apps that will help with the lag.

If you go to setting and app manager you will see which apps are still running and taking RAM

Ya I checked the application manager. Closed everything down, and also tried restarting the phone. Still some serious keyboard lag. Everything else is fine. But if I switch to Chrome or messages and begin to type the keyboard has a delay and lags catching up to my typing.

Ya I checked the application manager. Closed everything down, and also tried restarting the phone. Still some serious keyboard lag. Everything else is fine. But if I switch to Chrome or messages and begin to type the keyboard has a delay and lags catching up to my typing.

That's odd, my s4 very rarely experiences that at all.

Thinking of switching back to android. I want that LG G3 bad. I will have to see what is new from apple next year though.

Thinking of switching back to android. I want that LG G3 bad. I will have to see what is new from apple next year though.
I switched from iphone5 to samsung s5 a couple months ago and I could not be happier.

They might add a row of icons..

G3 ordered. Should be here tomorrow.

G3 ordered. Should be here tomorrow.
Looks sweet man. Did you try it out before you bought it? What kind of skin does LG put over Android?

Debating switching my S5 for the G3 after playing with it today. Love the bigger screen and simpler OS. The backplate has a great texture too.

Debating switching my S5 for the G3 after playing with it today. Love the bigger screen and simpler OS. The backplate has a great texture too.

Got tracking info on mine and it will be here tomorrow.

Awesome. Love my G2

Very minimalist skin. Their knock on feature might be the best feature of any phone out there.

You ever have an iPhone Joe? The reason I am leery of switching back to android is all the stupid things you have to uninstall and shut down so you get decent battery life.

How is the G2/3 compared to an iPhone?

You ever have an iPhone Joe? The reason I am leery of switching back to android is all the stupid things you have to uninstall and shut down so you get decent battery life.

How is the G2/3 compared to an iPhone?

Never had an iPhone but the battery life on the G2 is incredible so I'm sure G3 is the same. G3 has a removable battery, too.

I haven't used my G2 much today. Unplugged my phone at 7am, Some thp browsing when I was at the range, updated some apps, and 2 short phone calls and still have 93% battery left

Everytime I see a preview of the G3, all I can think of is, yup LG will screw that one up just like they did the G2.

On a side note, anyone else with a G2 experiencing the now semi-legendary touch screen issues? I've lost my KnockOn feature, have a dead zone about 4/5 up on my screen, and the touchscreen about once a day will just go absolute beserk on my and my phone becomes useless.

Everytime I see a preview of the G3, all I can think of is, yup LG will screw that one up just like they did the G2.

On a side note, anyone else with a G2 experiencing the now semi-legendary touch screen issues? I've lost my KnockOn feature, have a dead zone about 4/5 up on my screen, and the touchscreen about once a day will just go absolute beserk on my and my phone becomes useless.

Wife and I both have g2s on Verizon with no issues

Back