Hole in One or Even Par?

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
I'm sure there are quite a few that have had both, but for most amateur golfers these are two of the most sought after achievements in the game. If you could only have one of these, which one would it be for you and why?

My answer: I've not had either. I've been close to a HIO on several occasions. Its something I'd really like to have one day. As much as I'd like a HIO, I think of the two I'd prefer an even par round. Achieving an even par round shows a solid total golf game. How about you?

I would way prefer to shoot a round at even par. My all time PB is 75 and 72 seems like something I may never achieve, whereas I'm bound to get lucky at get a Hole In One one day.

Hole in one. I've only had one and had a bunch of even par rounds.

Mine would be even par.
Just tonight I had my personal best. I took my time and kept calm. It was going pretty good and felt as though I was hitting decent shots. I ended +1 on our 35 par 9 holer. Back 9 I out 2 in the water and ended it at 42.
Just hope I can repeat and eventually get even par or under.

I have had a hole in one and a couple of flag pops, but right now even par or under is the goal.

since i've shot under par before i have to go with a HIO i think even before that i would have still wanted the HIO because its just never happened for me i've been really really close a few times but its just hasn't happened. i know when it does i'm gonna flip out.

I have shot even par once, playing it down and doing everything right.... never had an ace (had several flag knockers, 2 inch misses, pitch marks within a few inches).... but unless I could ace one of those "Win A New Car" holes in a tournament I would much rather have more even par rounds instead of an ace... although a better player has a better chance at making a HIO, anybody can luck into an ace at any time... you can not luck into anything when adding up 18 holes, so to me a par round, a PB round, or a major achievement compared to your ability is much more of an accomplishment.

HIO!! I have came within inches of getting one more times than I can count and I have driven a few short par 4s and been within a foot. I have witnessed a few but never had one myself. A HIO would be awesome!

Having done both once, the even par round felt more like an accomplishment. Hole in ones are awesome, but I think we can all agree they are aided a little bit by luck, where even par is a process maintained over an entire round.

Definitely an even par round for me, that means my game has made dramatic improvements.

I've had both and it comes down to this... You can work towards even par, HOI just happen. I'll take the chance occurrence

Hole-in-one for me, please.

is both in the same round an option :wink:

in all seriousness, id much rather have the Even par round. like many people have already said, HIOs are luck, one of my mom's good friend's son has 4 and he is 12 years old! but an even par round is something that i have worked toward since i started really playing golf again. would love to have that by this time next year!

Having done both once, the even par round felt more like an accomplishment. Hole in ones are awesome, but I think we can all agree they are aided a little bit by luck, where even par is a process maintained over an entire round.

Exact same thing for me, minus having a hio and an even par round!

2 hole in ones, only once I've played to par or better. HIO is just another shot, sure you gain 2 shots, but par is most likely 69-72 good shots in a row.

I'd rather play to par than make a HIO and shoot 97.

Even par. I was fortunate to make a HIO and it was incredibly special. But the truth is that it was luck. Staying at even par for 18 holes would be a real accomplishment.

I've had 5 HIOs over the years. I can testify to the luck factor, and I've had more than my share. If you can reach a par 3, you can get an HIO.
Give me the even par round. That's consistent skill over 18 holes. I've done it once, years ago, and that's still my proudest golf accomplishment. Haven't been within 4 strokes of it again.

Hole in one WITH a witness. Had one w/out 15 or so years ago. If the question were shooting even par consistently, that would have been the choice.

Shooting an even par round to me is my choice. The achievement of shooting even par shows that my all around game was good for all the holes. That is special to me. Getting a HIO is just one lucky shot. Yes, its pretty special, but not a big goal of mine.

As others have said, I think even par shows a great game, a hole in one shows a lot of luck. Multiple HIOs shows a either a consistently good game by putting the ball in position to go in from a long ways away, or an IceyShanks level of luck.

I know a guy who rarely golfs, has a horrible swing and hand me down set of clubs, and he actually has two holes in one. Anyone can get lucky and get one if luck is on their side. I'd take an even par round any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd choose even par, it's when the game is dialed in and all your hard work has paid off and is paying it's dividends. I've had 2 holes in one and both were bad shots that were lucky lol.

I'm sure there are quite a few that have had both, but for most amateur golfers these are two of the most sought after achievements in the game. If you could only have one of these, which one would it be for you and why?

My answer: I've not had either. I've been close to a HIO on several occasions. Its something I'd really like to have one day. As much as I'd like a HIO, I think of the two I'd prefer an even par round. Achieving an even par round shows a solid total golf game. How about you?

Give me that hole in one in the rain today with a cool 73 and I'm all set hahahaha!!

Good question.

No doubt I'm sure the low single digit guys who flirt with par on a regular basis will say the hole in one.

Higher handicap like me I'm sure will say the par round as it would demonstrate great golf over an entire round, versus one very good shot, with some luck thrown in.

I would take the hole in one!!! Ive shot par numerous times and IMO it can be done with some hard work and dedication. Hole in ones are just lucky to go in. Yes good players it closer more upping their chances but for a ball to actually go in the hole as a one is pretty special. Ive had 1 hole on 1, 188 6 iron :)

Having gotten incredibly close to both of these, I'd have to say the even par round. A hole in one can be done by just about anyone and, while it is a great feat and I mean to take away nothing from it, it has a certain degree of luck associated with it. A round at par has so much more involved with it and is actually a reasonable goal going into a round for some. I don't go into rounds with the goal of a hole in one, I go in wanting to shoot par. After all, a birdie on that par 3 helps the cause too! Great topic Barry.

Back