Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV ratings don't win tournaments and they won't win the US the Ryder Cup either.

That's irrelevant to the "growing the game" discussion that was going on in the middle of this thread.

That is a tough question! If it were this time last year, I would have said far and away yes. However, he's just off injury and not playing too well. He looked like me out there with a bad blow up hole in 3/4 rounds. Right now, I say no I guess. This year he just hasn't had it together for any number of reasons.

Looking at the Ryder Cup standings, I am starting to be more inclined with him playing. I would rather him than Todd, Kirk or Steele.

The conversation is not evolving the Tiger fans keep repeating the same thing. Yes it is my opinion, but mine are backed up with stats, like he's 70th in the points standing, 214th in the FedEx standings (he's behind Duval and Daly for gosh sakes), a 13-14-2 all time Ryder Cup record. Tigers fans opinion is purely based on their love for the Tiger of old.

I'm not even a Tiger fan so there goes that theory. Never loved or hated him. But do admire what he has done. Just stating the truth about how he does bring more attention to the game.

As far as him being on the team for purposes of trying to win it. I'm not really sure 100% what I would do. Like I said earlier its kind of like a baseball manager having to win a huge game while having one of the greatest pitchers or hitters available but hasn't played well. What do you do? I don't think there is right or wrong with either answer. If he comes through, your a genius, if he doesn't, you made a horrible choice. If you don't play him and lose you still made a horrible choice. Damned if you do and if you don't. As far as the earning it part. That's hogwash. His career speaks for itself even if he is not playing well. It is about both how he is playing and also what he is capable of just like that greatest pitcher or hitter sitting on the bench. Its really no different.

If he is chosen and anyone feels slighted or complains about not being there then go and first get a career like Tiger has had. Just like the manager giving the call to that great pitcher even though you have had the hottest hand lately. Until that time comes when/if you have achieved what the other guy has achieved just go about your business and be quiet. The other players career has earned him the right to be considered more than what you may think you have earned as of late.

If it were me (not 100% sure) but I would probably lean on the side to give him the nod and take the gamble but I don't think it right or wrong either way. But I do have to wonder if there will be any kind of pressure we will never know about that goes on behind closed doors.

I'm not even a Tiger fan so there goes that theory. Never loved or hated him. But do admire what he has done. Just stating the truth about how he does bring more attention to the game.

As far as him being on the team for purposes of trying to win it. I'm not really sure 100% what I would do. Like I said earlier its kind of like a baseball manager having to win a huge game while having one of the greatest pitchers or hitters available but hasn't played well. What do you do? I don't think there is right or wrong with either answer. If he comes through, your a genius, if he doesn't, you made a horrible choice. As far as the earning it part. That's hogwash. His career speaks for itself even if he is not playing well. It is about both how he is playing and also what he is capable of just like that greatest pitcher or hitter sitting on the bench. Its really no different.

If he is chosen and anyone feels slighted or complains about not being there then go and first get a career like Tiger has had. Just like the manager giving the call to that great pitcher even though you have had the hottest hand lately. Until that time comes when/if you have achieved what the other guy has achieved just go about your business and be quiet. The other players career has earned him the right to be considered more than what you may think you have earned as of late.

If it were me (not 100% sure) but I would probably lean on the side to give him the nod and take the gamble but I don't think it right or wrong either way. But I do have to wonder if there will be any kind of pressure we will never know about that goes on behind closed doors.
Then lets bring Nicklaus and Palmer back. Are we going to be having this same conversation 10 years from now? Give Tiger the nod because has done so much for golf the least we can do is give him a charity pick.

That's irrelevant to the "growing the game" discussion that was going on in the middle of this thread.

Maybe that should be talked about in a different thread since this one is about whether or not Tiger should be picked for the Ryder Cup team and is not part of the discussion.

I'm a Tiger fan but right now I'd say no. However there is a chance he shows more between now and Bridgestone.

Tiger, Ryder Cup, Yup.

Still the best game out there. Did anyone else have 5 wins last year? Has anyone dominated while he has been struggling with injury? He'll hit form and be a force for the US!

As far as him being on the team for purposes of trying to win it. I'm not really sure 100% what I would do. Like I said earlier its kind of like a baseball manager having to win a huge game while having one of the greatest pitchers or hitters available but hasn't played well. What do you do? I don't think there is right or wrong with either answer. If he comes through, your a genius, if he doesn't, you made a horrible choice. If you don't play him and lose you still made a horrible choice. Damned if you do and if you don't. As far as the earning it part. That's hogwash. His career speaks for itself even if he is not playing well. It is about both how he is playing and also what he is capable of just like that greatest pitcher or hitter sitting on the bench. Its really no different.

If it was based on his past career I would agree with you 100% he's earned it in the PAST, but trying to win off of nostalgia now is a recipe for a big disappointment. I am a huge Tiger fan (not as big as Wardy) and he just doesn't have it, he can't even dial a wedge in from 100yds right now. Watson should pass and if Phil doesn't come around soon I say the same for him, give it to the hungry.

Tiger, Ryder Cup, Yup.

Still the best game out there. Did anyone else have 5 wins last year? Has anyone dominated while he has been struggling with injury? He'll hit form and be a force for the US!
Are we still living in the past? Has Tiger not had back surgery since then? Will Tiger even play 5 tournaments this year?

Are we still living in the past? Has Tiger not had back surgery since then? Will Tiger even play 5 tournaments this year?

So while he was rehabing injuries who lit it up?

Oh right, no one.

Then lets bring Nicklaus and Palmer back. Are we going to be having this same conversation 10 years from now? Give Tiger the nod because has done so much for golf the least we can do is give him a charity pick.

If Tiger goes the next 10 years with nothing to brag about then no. But if he makes another great run at things over the next several years, then yes we probably will. But now your mixing or confusing that its been two discussions. One is to play him if one thinks its good for golf. The other is about (the exact thread topic) of what gives you the best chance at winning. Like I said before, for purposes of winning its a gamble just like that manager who has to make that decision to try to win his game in a huge spot. Put in the all time great that has done it many times before but hasn't been good as of late? I don't think one can say the managers choice could be right or wrong. If he loses he will be damned for his decision either way. If he wins he will be praised for it either way. If you had mariano rivera on your team in the 8th inning in the biggest game of the season but he hasn't been good lately do you play him? I think most would say yes of course. Its the same kind of gamble.

Is he lighting it up? No. I would rather see Brooks Koepka playing in the Ryder Cup over Tiger. If standings don't matter why not him? He plays a regular European schedule, he's used to those conditions, he beat Tiger at the open, why not him.

I agree right now its hard for me to pick him but I think if he rounds into any kind of form by then he should definitely make the team. I'm of the opinion he's good the game and people love seeing him play especially in the Ryder cup

Is he lighting it up? No. I would rather see Brooks Koepka playing in the Ryder Cup over Tiger. If standings don't matter why not him? He plays a regular European schedule, he's used to those conditions, he beat Tiger at the open, why not him.

Beat him in one tourney. Def a better player overall.

Edit: By 1 stroke LMFAO.

This thread is too good.

He beat Martin Kaymer too, that guy is so garbage.

Lol who the F is Brooks Koepka?

Beat him in one tourney. Def a better player overall.

Edit: By 1 stroke LMFAO.

This thread is too good.

Overall sure, I'm not arguing what Tiger has done over his career is anything short of amazing. But right now he is not competing. And right now (as of Sunday) Koepka is playing better golf. And as of Sunday so is Bradley, Moore, Kirk, Todd, Points, Mahan, Na, Streelman, Snedecker, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe that should be talked about in a different thread since this one is about whether or not Tiger should be picked for the Ryder Cup team and is not part of the discussion.

Did you read the entire thread? The discussion about "growing the game" came up in this thread with regards to the Ryder Cup and Tiger.

It's all I hear about on TGC and PGA Tour Radio. Sort of a pointless debate at this point. Let's talk in a month or two.

Nope not on his current form, Phil neither to be honest. Win one or two events, qualify for the FedEx and then come back an look at it. That goes for both of them!

I think the OP mentioned his leadership skills as a reason to take him, does Tiger have that? I don't think so, his record at the Ryder cup is not the greatest. Tiger is the ultimate one man golf machine and I don't think he's good in team events like the Ryder Cup and this shows when they try and match him with a team mate.

If I was Tiger I would be forgetting about this year as far as the Ryder Cup, fill your schedule with some no events you usually don't play and get you game back and give yourself a springboard for the start of next year.

Hell what do know anyway, even in my dreams I'm still not as good as these guys

Pick up Overton he played well last RC.

Two RCs ago. He might be available since I'm not sure he has his tour card anymore.

The discussion has taken a couple of turns since this morning.

I think if ratings are what you are after, then yes pick him bc his name still rings with the non golf fans. It will attract people on a slow weekend, but that won't grow the game at the level we play at. That will just fill sponsors pockets with $$.

If you want to win this thing no way, right now with his current game can't put him on that team. Hell I think Phil is on that bubble also, but give him a slight nod bc he doesn't have the health issues TW does. Someone posted earlier that if he was higher in the standings (top 15-20) you could make a case, but not currently at 72. The animosity that would create isn't worth it IMO.

As far as growing the game, Tiger served his purpose. Late 90's & early 2000's he brought more of the fringe or "non" golfer to the game and many have stayed (myself included). Do we need another star to capture that fringe golfer again? It wouldn't hurt & many would argue Fowler is doing that pretty well even though he hasn't won much. I've said it before & will continue to say that our game will not grow until the economy is fixed. Discretionary income just isn't there for many as it once was when the golf business was good. This is the biggest factor for dwindling numbers. Others will argue pace of play, complicated rules, too expensive, etc., but not having the extra money to even consider golf as a hobby is hurting the game more IMO.

Overall sure, I'm not arguing what Tiger has done over his career is anything short of amazing. But right now he is not competing. And right now (as of Sunday) Koepka is playing better golf. And as of Sunday so is Bradley, Moore, Kirk, Todd, Points, Mahan, Na, Streelman, Snedecker, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So he beats him by one stroke and that is defined as playing better golf even though Tiger just came off a 3 month layoff? Check. Koepka is definitely our guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back