Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But they were playing their rounds with someone who couldn't miss, we all know what that's like.
But you have to play better. You can't go 0-3-1 in the previous Ryder Cup, then not play pretty much the whole year and still expect to get a captains pick.

But you have to play better. You can't go 0-3-1 in the previous Ryder Cup, then not play pretty much the whole year and still expect to get a captains pick.

Wait.
Since that Ryder Cup, the dude does in fact have 5 wins. Its not like he went winless then did nothing.

well... the US team and the entire sport needs to weigh in.

With tiger you get higher ratings, and more publicity than you know what to do with. What is this match about? Is it going to be a truly competitive outing where the golfers are actually vested in the outcome at the cost of ratings??? Some will say "This isn't true... golf (and the ryder cup specifically) will be fine without Tiger. TV ratings argue otherwise. The hardcore fan won't miss Tiger in this event, but everyone else will be like this the Monday after "Wait... the Ryder Cup was this weekend?"

Wait.
Since that Ryder Cup, the dude does in fact have 5 wins. Its not like he went winless then did nothing.
True, but since those 5 wins he has had Back Surgery and done much of nothing.

True, but since those 5 wins he has had Back Surgery and done much of nothing.

And in that time, the guy you were saying should be chosen, has how many wins?
I dont have a side here, because I think the debate is fairly meaningless since there is still plenty of time, but I think some have very short memories.

What other kind of answers are there. A question is asked and people answer with their opinion and then those opinions are further debated in conversation. This is part of what the forum is for. For debate and conversing and includes both facts and opinions. Only when one may get personal does it then become problematic. I'm not really following your point.

With Tiger its different. You see it here clearly. This is as much a referendum on how much people like Tiger (or not) as it is a debate over the logic of a potential pick. You can see it in the absurdity of some of the arguments for both sides. Every Tiger thread I've seen on here since I was a lurker is, generally, the same.

With Tiger its different. You see it here clearly. This is as much a referendum on how much people like Tiger (or not) as it is a debate over the logic of a potential pick. You can see it in the absurdity of some of the arguments for both sides. Every Tiger thread I've seen on here since I was a lurker is, generally, the same.

I dont think that is what is happening here at all. I think people look for it, but its just not here. People are having a well thought out debate about a guy that might be the best ever, that is struggling in a Ryder Cup year.

True. But they were playing their rounds with someone who couldn't miss, we all know what that's like.

To his defense, one loss was after the cup had already been clinched.

Another loss, opponent shoots 63 on his own ball and Stricker was pretty much doing nothing.

At this point he could beat with an even par round of 72, never mind 63. If he does not improve and is taken his outcome will be the same this year.

Does his play in 2014 warrant a spot on the team? No, not even close. However since the last RC he has won 5 times. Prior to his injury he was the #1 golfer in the world. I think all he needs to do is show improvement in his next 2 events. I don't believe that he needs to win either of them, but just show improvement and more consistency. I would put him on the team. I would rather take a chance on Tiger Woods, and win or lose with that decision, rather than go over to Europe and think "what if he were here?"

I dont have a side here, because I think the debate is fairly meaningless since there is still plenty of time, but I think some have very short memories.

The problem with sports in general is people let feelings get in the way of reason a lot.

So 0-3-1 last Ryder cup with the super team of stricker/woods everyone talked about. How do we know the same thing isn't going to happen again? It's not as if Kuchar is playing stellar golf either.

I can ask a similar question to you, how do you know he won't go 4-0 this year?

If you remember in 2010 when he was a captains pick for Pavin, he went 3-1.

The problem with sports in general is people let feelings get in the way of reason a lot.

Ding Ding Ding...

I was simply saying a name. I wasn't actually saying Koepka should get the nod. But he is ahead of Tiger in the Ryder Cup points, fed ex points, competitive rounds, etc. I just find the idea of Tiger getting the nod for the simple reason of being Tiger ridiculous. Honestly I think I would like to see Tom Watson competing over Tiger this Ryder Cup. There are some TV ratings for you right there

I was simply saying a name. I wasn't actually saying Koepka should get the nod. But he is ahead of Tiger in the Ryder Cup points, fed ex points, competitive rounds, etc. I just find the idea of Tiger getting the nod for the simple reason of being Tiger ridiculous. Honestly I think I would like to see Tom Watson competing over Tiger this Ryder Cup. There are some TV ratings for you right there

Okay so instead of saying "Because he is Tiger", assume everybody says "Just a few months ago he was #1 in the world and he has won 5 times since the last Ryder Cup".

Nobody can say they have the same resume.

I couldn't agree more, on both sides of the coin

Okay so instead of saying "Because he is Tiger", assume everybody says "Just a few months ago he was #1 in the world and he has won 5 times since the last Ryder Cup".

Nobody can say they have the same resume.
But he longer is number 1, hasn't had a top 10 in his last 10 events or so, he's had back surgery, and he's still working on his new swing. Yep that sounds like a winning combination. But hey we don't know he could easily win The Bridgestone for like the 10th time, he could be in contention at the PGA, we don't know. But asking right now and to get any other answer than No is ridiculous.

As of right now, I would say no. There are better performing golfers who should get in ahead of him RIGHT NOW if he goes on a tear and wins the PGA and/or even the Bridgestone, then yes absolutely. I think he has other intangibles, but he needs to play well down the stretch to get in.

But he longer is number 1, hasn't had a top 10 in his last 10 events or so, he's had back surgery, and he's still working on his new swing. Yep that sounds like a winning combination. But hey we don't know he could easily win The Bridgestone for like the 10th time, he could be in contention at the PGA, we don't know. But asking right now and to get any other answer than No is ridiculous.

You do know that it wasn't too long ago that the Ryder Cup points list was based on the prior two years, right? For instance for the 2004 Ryder Cup, points were accumulated from Jan. 15, 2002 through Aug of 2004.

If I'm not mistaken it was when Azinger was captain in 2008 that they changed the Ryder Cup points accumulated to based on just the current calendar year.

I know that's not how it's done anymore, but it was how it was done, so it's really not that inconceivable.

Yes he should.

I dont think that is what is happening here at all. I think people look for it, but its just not here. People are having a well thought out debate about a guy that might be the best ever, that is struggling in a Ryder Cup year.

Your definition of well thought out is pretty loose.

Your definition of well thought out is pretty loose.

Ummm. Not sure I would go that route, and every thread has some quick posts when you have thousands of members, but I think you are looking for things that are not here. It happens to everybody as they join in on the fun at THP. They are used to ways seen at other places and assume it will be the same here.

Ummm. Not sure I would go that route, and every thread has some quick posts, but I think you are looking for things that are not here. It happens to everybody as they join in on the fun at THP. They are used to ways seen at other places and assume it will be the same here.

I almost took the bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back