scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
Discuss here please.
I never had any real interest in the Japanese clubs other than hearing Miura all the time for the softest of the soft. I stumbled onto my TM R7 forged Japan issues and REALLY like them, so the sparks are hovering overhead.

ONOFF look real interesting.
Epon, Tourstage, XXIO, Fourteen, etc. They all are intriguing to me and of course Miura.

Are they the same as our lines in the sense that as some will love one iron, the next will hate it? Basically Titleist vs. Cleveland type thing only with cooler names and some weird and cool looks?

It is the old saying of "want what you cannot have".

Assuming you were to play one of the Japanese clubs off the shelf not fitted for you, do you think they adjust for the average height of Japanese males? I think its almost 5 inches below Americans.

Oooh, good point Gasman!

IMO... As much as I hate to say it... Japanese clubs are best... when we are talking about forged irons because they were the originators.

Cast clubs... USA based companies probably have a leg up on the competition.

Originators may be innovators but sometimes they fall flat with keeping up.

We're basically speaking irons and wedges here, but what about woods? I know the name Nakashima comes up in the wood dept.

We're basically speaking irons and wedges here, but what about woods? I know the name Nakashima comes up in the wood dept.

Never heard of them.

Good company, but I thought you had found your driver in the 909

Good company, but I thought you had found your driver in the 909

JB, I already have one wife and my mom has already given up on me:D

I know, just saying...
Irons are what interests me. I have to spark your guys' curiosity don't I:confused2:

I would like to try out some Japanese wedges. They seem to be superior to American wedges feel wise

I have tried quite a few Japanese wedges and while I think some are great, I think MOST players will not be able to tell the difference in the feel

I was looking at a selection of Fourteen wedges in a local store, today. Nice looking clubs, no doubt.
Best part? They were part of an inventory that the shop had recently purchase as a "LOT". They know the ballpark value, but the price I was given on the "used" pair was very hard to turn down. I may be back at their door, next week.
LaMont in AZ

I play XXIO forged irons (rifle shafts) and love them, they are super sweet off the face, they do weight a little more than the i25 irons I had in the past and I did have to get them adjusted 2 degrees down, I would say they are the purest feeling irons I have hit - I tried a number of other forged irons (titleist, ping, callaway, mizuno etc) before jumping into a brand that I had heard little about but I must say I am happy that I did

You should post pics :-D

My irons were forged in Japan. No wonder I am so good.

will do shortly

Once you go JDM in irons, it's hard to go back. Epon AF-302 irons and Miura K Grind wedges. The ball disappears into the irons but you can tell where you had a mishit. The wedges have a more solid feel which I prefer for more touch shots. If "refined" can apply to feel in irons, then that would describe it. It's a step beyond Mizuno or other USDM forged clubs. I use to love my forge ATV wedges - they don't compare.

I haven't hit any Japanese woods yet. I'm afraid to.

bag-002_zps294425a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

here are a couple of some of the XXIO kit I run

Always keep the XXIO series 7 forged irons in the bag - smooth as silk
Hybrids are fluid off the face and long, used to use Callaway's but these are light years apart

Also have in the spare bag an XXIO 9.5 deg S forged driver and 3 & 5 woods

xxio8iron_zps33a80e0a.jpg
xxiohb6_zps176a9695.jpg

With Japanese clubs being "softer" than the American counter parts, does that make them pretty high maintenance (making sure the loft and lie doesn't change too much throughout the year)?

I get my clubs checked once a year and they usually need a little bit of tweaking to get them back to spec, so I'm curious if the "softer" clubs get even further out of whack.

I usually get mine looked at prior to the serious summer season just to make sure, forged clubs do need to be watched so its just become part of my routine now - I am a heavy (in terms of rounds) golfer - so coming into the start of the season my local pro shop gives them a once over and makes sure they are all up to scratch

I would say that all forged clubs should at least have a lie check annually, not only Japanese - just due to their softer nature

I usually get mine looked at prior to the serious summer season just to make sure, forged clubs do need to be watched so its just become part of my routine now - I am a heavy (in terms of rounds) golfer - so coming into the start of the season my local pro shop gives them a once over and makes sure they are all up to scratch

I would say that all forged clubs should at least have a lie check annually, not only Japanese - just due to their softer nature

I wasn't insinuating that it was only Japanese clubs that needed checked, I was just wondering if they are softer do they get further out of spec than the American counterparts.

Back