The state of your game?

I'm seeing some real improvements in my short game lately - I've hit some sand shots that I never thought we attainable for me, and some very strong chips and fairway putts to give me more chances for par saves than I've ever had. The problem is that I don't capitalize often enough - my 10-20 foot putting game is highly streaky at best, I miss way too many putts inside of 5 feet, and I often don't lag it well enough when I have a lot of distance left on the green.

The other problem is that while my short game was crapola last year, my driving was on point - but in the last couple of months I haven't been able to hit the broad side of a barn with my driving, particularly with driver. However, I've made some slight changes in technique and some pretty major changes in equipment lately, both with the goal of getting back to favoring accuracy over distance, and so far it seems to be helping - hit 64% of fairways my last time out. Couple that with my recent change to GI irons, causing me to hit 56% GIR in my first 9 with them last week, and I'm feeling better and better about my tee to green game as well.

I really feel like I'm close to turning a corner, but I'm gonna need to get clutch with the putter and not get sloppy off the tee.

I have been working really hard grooving a swing and yesterday was a big reward for my work. I still am working on my aiming point for non-tee shots, but of the 24 non-putts I had yesterday, only 2 were bad shots. So many of them went dead straight, I was excited to see this work paying dividends. It was the littlest thing too that made a big difference. I choked up on all my clubs 1". Instant results with no loss in distance.

I need to keep grooving this, and the next step is to improve my putting between 6-10'. 5' and in I am really solid right now, but I am 2-putting far too much from 6-10'.

My game is slowly improving! I'm finding the fairway more often off of the tee since It was pointed out to me that I did not keep my left wrist flat. Sure helps get on the green easier when playing from the fairway. Iron play is pretty consistent. I love to chip, this is probably the strength of my game. I'd rather chip than putt. Putting sucks - (39 -41 rd). Recently started working on this. New putter purchased (Spider series) and watching you tube putting tips. Last two rounds I've seen some improvements. I have depth perception problems and tend to leave putts short. I'm working on picking a spot further back of the hole as a target and playing a little more break than I think I need. Seems to be helping. My last round I shot 83 with 29 putts (only 1 3 putt) Progress!!!

The best way to describe my game is Feast or Famine. I either have a good look at birdie or I have a 10 footer for bogey.

Basically from 120-300 yards I need to improve consistency right across the board. I'm capable of high and straight drives that go 275 and I'm capable of sticking a 7i close from 170 but the misses are just too penal right now.

Consistent. I am scoring in the mid to low seventies now when 2 months ago I shot 90 (Ugh)

Iron game is spectacular and wedges are coming back nicely.

Not where I want to be at all. High 70s almost every time out. Driving is going well, irons are terrible, wedge game is decent and putting has been better.

I just can't score any more. Blow up holes are rare but so are birdies.

Flashes of brilliance with a steady amount of ineptitude...story of my golfing life.

I'm good with most things but long irons are very streaky and FW's off the deck are terrible. And I thin irons too much. I'm still laying off and have to figure put how to stop.

Still though, best season ever for driving, putting and short game. Just need to tighten up the ball striking. A lot.

My game is basically stuck in a repeating loop of 6 weeks of steady improvement, then sudden and permanent regression, then six more weeks of steady improvement, then another bout of sudden and permanent regression.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I'm getting fed up with having to start from scratch 3 times a season. If my next round of improvement doesn't achieve some permanency, I may just give up golf completely.

Elbow and achilles tendonitis have reduced my game to chipping and putting practice. I hope to be able to play in August.

Have been really encouraged lately. Haven't done much with before this summer but have seen loads of improvement, as in I think I'm 1-1.5 years ahead schedule and have just been going on feel. Will be getting regular lessons soon and taking a big leap, hopefully, forward once I can clean up my inconsistent swing.

Driver is being hit, somehow, a good 40 yards farther. Irons are 20-30 yards farther. And I'm hitting irons flush and dead straight much more often, though not often enough (been hitting almost every par 3 green).

The consistency is not there, but the gems every now and then are. Loving the possibility, looking forward to the challenge.

The state of your game?

New Jersey?

Oh, I see what you meant. For me right now its been driver troubles. And it puzzling because through the years its one area that I have managed pretty decently on average (relative to my game). Not that I don't have bad days or holes but overall its usually pretty ok or even pretty good. For some reason although my iron striking has become better mostly due to better tempo and lessons. But my driver has taken a turn the other way lately. To be honest I gained wait and my pot belly I believe is preventing me from doing what I normally do. I am at least hoping that's what it is. Trouble is that losing weight takes time and if I do it will probably be the off season before a difference is determined.

I feel like my game is on the up rise. My irons and short game are my strong points. I'm working hard on driving the ball which is my weak area and my putting comes and goes.

Haven't quite put everything together for a personal best this year but my scores have been consistent compared to previous years. My swing feels like it's better than ever. .. but the results are gradual not huge gains. I'm OK with that. ...

I am progressing along my HDCP goals. My putting has improved a lot with the SeeMore and the work done with that. My biggest concern now is that I have begun hooking drives and it started to setup my irons in bad lies.

Game is improving. My problem is if i take a small amount of time away from practicing/playing my pull shot come back. In the process of testing putters.

After this weekend, heading straight up like a rocket ship...and we've got plenty of fuel

After this weekend, heading straight up like a rocket ship...and we've got plenty of fuel

Man, I'm so proud of how you were able to play this weekend. From everything I have seen, the sky is the limit for you brother.

Man, I'm so proud of how you were able to play this weekend. From everything I have seen, the sky is the limit for you brother.

You too! I've never seen a game be changed so much from properly fitted equipment.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Playing the best golf of my life, currently. My last 5 rounds all would have been personal best 6 months ago. My handicap is also at an all time low. Plenty of room for improvement still but I am very pleased with the state of my game.

My handicap is as at an all time low of 15.8. I'm realistically able to get it down to low double digits - 10-12 most likely based on my play.
But I'm sidelined right now due to old age. (Aches and bad back pain).

What I need to work on is putting and greenside bunker play. My ball striking is as good as it's ever been before, which is pretty darned encouraging.

Not where I want to be at all. High 70s almost every time out. Driving is going well, irons are terrible, wedge game is decent and putting has been better.

I just can't score any more. Blow up holes are rare but so are birdies.

I feel ya there, pal. Funny how those combos seem to stick together.

Not where I want it. Time to evaluate and re-group.

I feel I've finally bottomed out of my downward spiral after some swing changes and have begun to tick back up. I've started making birdies again and I had a season high of 4 on Sunday with 3 other very good looks. I have five weeks to shore up my short game before The Gauntlet and that's exactly what ill do. My confidence is rising and my scores are dropping. I was getting worried there for a while.

Good my handicap is the lowest it has ever been at 17.7 but my goal is 15 before the season ends. My last round gave me some confidence and now I need to get out and challenge myself to reach my goal. I am now to the point where I need to be knocking in the birdie opportunities I am giving myself and man is it tough.

The state of my game is in flux. I haven't played since Father's Day, but I have hit a few balls. I know my game will fire right back up, but I know I need to at least practice. Our local country club changed hands recently and so my hook up is now gone. I don't think it would be a problem to keep practicing there, as I know a number of members, but I don't know the new owners at all. As for my game, well...my swing feels good, that I know for sure. However, not hitting a ball makes me wonder about timing and consistency.
I think it's time to invest in a really good hitting mat and some nets for my garage, especially since fall is now on the horizon.

Back