A pre-packaged little cup of sugar free jellow, sometimes with a little bit of sugar free whipped topping. Sometimes just 2 or 3 chocolate chips.

A pre-packaged little cup of sugar free jellow, sometimes with a little bit of sugar free whipped topping. Sometimes just 2 or 3 chocolate chips.

I'm going back to it, artificial sweeteners scare the bajeesus out of me. Just reduce the amount of natural sugar. Avoid artificial sweeteners.

I hit the gym four times per week. I love fruit and veggies however don't sit a family size bag of m&m's with peanuts beside me. I'll demolish nearly the whole bag. Also ice cream is a weak link. Put a box of chocolate covered brown mules beside me and it's on like donkey kong. I'm going to have to NOT buy anymore junk stuff for our home. My craving these days is too strong to not submit.

I am an ice cream fiend too haha. Definitely a weakness of mine.

I exercise a ton and generally eat reasonably healthy, so I allow myself a small tea cup of ice cream every so often. I eat virtually no candy though, eat a lot of fruit and drink juice mostly for sweets.

I'm going back to it, artificial sweeteners scare the bajeesus out of me. Just reduce the amount of natural sugar. Avoid artificial sweeteners.

Like you said earlier, I'm most likely craving energy more than I am sugar. Sugar is just a quick fix for feeling lethargic .

Like you said earlier, I'm most likely craving energy more than I am sugar. Sugar is just a quick fix for feeling lethargic .

Yeah - please avoid the artificial stuff. It won't help what you're fighting. BTW - what you're fighting isn't abnormal. Your body is just telling you that it needs something that it's not getting. Healthy alternatives and cutting back on the exercise will help.

I just don't even combat it anymore, I love sweets and eat the hell out of them. I came into the world on my moms terms lol, I'll go out on mine.

I just don't even combat it anymore, I love sweets and eat the hell out of them. I came into the world on my moms terms lol, I'll go out on mine.

Pretty funny right there buddy

I have had t worst sugar cravings lately. It's driving me nuts because I'm afraid it could not only cause the unwanted weight gain, but diabetes too. Last Thursday I had a follow up on some blood work with my doc. She said I had a condition called hypothyroidism which can cause carb craving. That's because energy levels are low and you're trying to get some pep in ya step by eating stuff that makes you feel better. Well it might make ya feel better temporarily however it kicks your butt in other ways.

How do you combat the sugar cravings?

OG, I can relate man. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 5 years ago and the immediate withdrawal from sugar and total diet change was tough. I think I was a bit unique though, I ended up in the ER with a blood glucose of 675. That was my first diagnosis. Now, my sugars are more manageable, 140-180. What I do is NOT eat anything that is "sugar free" or has some chemical substitute. I go for moderation. Once per week I'll have ice cream, real ice cream. Occasionally my wife will bake a cake....New York Cheesecake! I'll get a small piece, the rest goes to my nephew and his family. Everything in moderation OG! The diet kicked my butt for a year but I lost 55 lbs and to be honest, I don't miss the sugar all that much and feel like a 50 year old! And losing 55 lbs did help my swing!

OG, I can relate man. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 5 years ago and the immediate withdrawal from sugar and total diet change was tough. I think I was a bit unique though, I ended up in the ER with a blood glucose of 675. That was my first diagnosis. Now, my sugars are more manageable, 140-180. What I do is NOT eat anything that is "sugar free" or has some chemical substitute. I go for moderation. Once per week I'll have ice cream, real ice cream. Occasionally my wife will bake a cake....New York Cheesecake! I'll get a small piece, the rest goes to my nephew and his family. Everything in moderation OG! The diet kicked my butt for a year but I lost 55 lbs and to be honest, I don't miss the sugar all that much and feel like a 50 year old! And losing 55 lbs did help my swing!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/basics/symptoms/con-20021179

Very encouraging and uplifting! I'll do best coach and it all starts tomorrow the in moderation element will be my primary focus. I honestly believe once I get on my medicine, the heavy craving for sugar will subside.

Tee is not naturally sweet, to my understanding, how is your sweet tee sweetened?

In the south tea is sweet, but tons of sugar is used. MIO uses a flavoring that matches the sweet tea flavor most southerners enjoy.

In the south tea is sweet, but tons of sugar is used. MIO uses a flavoring that matches the sweet tea flavor most southerners enjoy.

I wouldn't touch that MIO for what Bill is dealing with here

When I get those cravings lately I have been turning to Almonds.

If I find myself hungry at all, almonds are my first choice. I tend to find even 5 or 6 of them turn off the hunger pretty quickly.
This is my quick fix go to as well.

Are you eating regularly? One thing that could be happening is you are whipsawing your blood sugar by going too long between meals...blood sugar drops and you feel lethargic, then binge on sugar and spike it, then repeat the cycle.

Also, remember you can overdo the fruits as they are very high in simple sugars. You want to go for more complex carbs, like broccoli and green beans.

Craving sugar!

This is my quick fix go to as well.

Are you eating regularly? One thing that could be happening is you are whipsawing your blood sugar by going too long between meals...blood sugar drops and you feel lethargic, then binge on sugar and spike it, then repeat the cycle.

Also, remember you can overdo the fruits as they are very high in simple sugars. You want to go for more complex carbs, like broccoli and green beans.

We have been in a whirl wind the last few weeks and eating well has not been done. I'm hoping that things including better food choices will be on the agenda soon

Last edited:
We have been in a whirl wind the last view weeks and eating well has not been done. I'm hoping that things including better food choices will be on the agenda soon

Well that could be a lot of it! Just be careful, thyroid problems can be tricky!

How do you combat the sugar cravings?
Strawberries! And then I add sugar!

I don't bother combating them, I succumb to them.

I had more blood work done today. :beat-up: My Internist said if I'm still out of range with my thyroid, she would be putting me on medicine. All I know is I've felt like hell for quite some time in the low energy department. I thought I was just getting old. :alien: I'm proud of myself as I didn't raid the grocery store today for sweets. I'm really gonna kick the sweet tooth's arse although it will be an uphill battle. It's got to be done....

Back