Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

I'm still having some issues finding my best settings. Most of this is due to me working on my swing - if I had a repeatable swing, I'd be golden. Tonight I hit a couple of heavy fades due to not doing what I'm supposed to, and as soon as I got into the correct position (I've been setting up with my shoulders wide open unknowingly) I started hitting some big draws. I took the BB off of the D setting, back to N, and put the weight at 2 on the Draw side. That really changed how the club felt, but it straightened out the ball flight. The last 3 balls were hit well, and in my "fairway" at the range.

I noticed that I have to tee the ball a bit lower when I go to the +2 setting, anyone else have that issue? When I teed it at my normal height when I first got it, I was hitting popups that just died in the air and dropped. With it teed lower, I get much better flight and a decent amount of rollout.

I had a really nice round with Bertha yesterday. Only had occasion to hit it 5 times - lots of cross hazards and accuracy driven holes - but out of those 5, 4 were bombed, with 3 finding dead center of the fairway and 1 going just through the fairway but still a good lie. The one bad one was a little wrist hook on the first tee that was more nerves than anything, and even that could have been much worse with a different driver. I think the XCG6 is longer on a good strike, especially with dry fairways, but Bertha is unquestionably more forgiving, particularly on low face strikes. Hell of a 2 driver rotation!

I put mine back in the back last Saturday and had good results. It's a great driver however the Indian gets crooked now and then.

reading all these I am going to have a hard time picking a new driver.

reading all these I am going to have a hard time picking a new driver.

You really can't go wrong with the Bertha in my opinion, as long as you don't need massive spin reduction. She just wants to launch em mid-high with moderately low spin - perfect for most players. And the lateral and low face forgiveness is pretty well unmatched in the marketplace right now - I would argue that the only others in the discussion are the Adams XTD and the Cobra Bio Cell.

You really can't go wrong with the Bertha in my opinion, as long as you don't need massive spin reduction. She just wants to launch em mid-high with moderately low spin - perfect for most players. And the lateral and low face forgiveness is pretty well unmatched in the marketplace right now - I would argue that the only others in the discussion are the Adams XTD and the Cobra Bio Cell.

Alright thanks. I haven't hit the Bertha or the others you mentioned. I did the sldr and hated it

I did the sldr and hated it

Well then you're on the right track, I hated the SLDR with a burning passion haha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Well then you're on the right track, I hated the SLDR with a burning passion haha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Yea I found it to be junk

The SLDR and Bertha are def polar opposites IMO.

But both fit an area of golfers and fit it well.

I hit the fat gal well again today. That means she will stay in the sack and make me happy :golf2:

Very well said.

Neither is bad. They're different. And that is awesome.

I hit the fat gal well again today. That means she will stay in the sack and make me happy :golf2:

Hahaha, good to hear OG. She's gonna make it out for a dual with my Bio this week or next I think!

Yup. Hence the importance of fitting

Hahaha, good to hear OG. She's gonna make it out for a dual with my Bio this week or next I think!

Yea every now and then you have to stir up the ole gal. Rustle up her skirt a bit and she will lay down the law on the Bio.

Yea every now and then you have to stir up the ole gal. Rustle up her skirt a bit and she will lay down the law on the Bio.

OG, eat a snickers. You turn yokel when you're hungry ;)

I had a pretty magical first weekend with my new mistress Bertha this past weekend. Paired with a beautiful Fujikura Speeder 661 (via my May fitting or I never would have tried that shaft), I was hitting some absolute Donne-bombs. The interesting thing to me was how far out there the ball got on shots I cut pretty badly. I have been playing some low spin drivers, and the distance would really suffer if I forgot to get the hands turned over. Bertha really just seems to have a huge area that you can get great distance.

I had a pretty magical first weekend with my new mistress Bertha this past weekend. Paired with a beautiful Fujikura Speeder 661 (via my May fitting or I never would have tried that shaft), I was hitting some absolute Donne-bombs. The interesting thing to me was how far out there the ball got on shots I cut pretty badly. I have been playing some low spin drivers, and the distance would really suffer if I forgot to get the hands turned over. Bertha really just seems to have a huge area that you can get great distance.
I have a 757 on the way and can't wait to pair it with Bertha. Just can't decide between regular or alpha. I spent a little time with both and I liked the alpha at address. Didn't see too much of a difference performance wise between the two but I didn't get to really tweek them much.

I have a 757 on the way and can't wait to pair it with Bertha. Just can't decide between regular or alpha. I spent a little time with both and I liked the alpha at address. Didn't see too much of a difference performance wise between the two but I didn't get to really tweek them much.

I need to play with the adjustable perimeter weight a bit. During my fitting, I was pulling the ball rather badly, so he had me as a +3 Fade, but a few balls on Friday showed me this was too much and I backed it down to +1. Still had a fade present, so I'll be curious to play with neutral or +1 Draw to see what happens. Maybe increase the loft a touch also to see what happens, just on a standard 9 deg right now.

Sooooooo, yeeeeeah, Bertha. She likes me, what can I say?

Sooooooo, yeeeeeah, Bertha. She likes me, what can I say?
My head arrives tomorrow and I can't freaking wait!!! You guys got me all excited. I tell you what tho, the 3w........woooooo is it a monster as well. Been my tee club while waiting for my head

Last edited:
Ugh I went to golf galaxy to hit this and the 3w one last time before pulling the trigger and it just did not work for me today. To be fair I don't think I would have hit anything well today. Stores were crowded and I felt rushed in the hitting bay so that didn't help. Ultimately I left empty handed and disappointed. Back to the grind and I'll try again another day.

Got the alpha in play this afternoon and was very impressed. I missed a few hard left but I haven't tinkered with the weights yet. I want to take the heavier one out of the heel and switch it. I had two that carried 240 yards and for me that's pretty long.

Went in today to see if the G30 driver was enough better than my G25 to make a switch. The improvement was marginal. Since it was not too busy the fitter suggested I try the regular Big Bertha. Spin was reduced, better launch angle and about 8 yards more carry. Walked out with the BB. Hope on the course results mirror the launch monitor.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Went in today to see if the G30 driver was enough better than my G25 to make a switch. The improvement was marginal. Since it was not too busy the fitter suggested I try the regular Big Bertha. Spin was reduced, better launch angle and about 8 yards more carry. Walked out with the BB. Hope on the course results mirror the launch monitor.

Bertha definitely has cause many a golfer to cheat on his/her driver this year :D Can't wait to hear how she works out for ya. I had a bit of a slow start with the BB down at #TheKing, but I have since found my groove with it. I've been experimenting with a TEE XCG6 as well, but they are fundamentally different drivers, and it's great to have a high launch big carry driver (Bertha) and a lower launch big runout driver (XCG6).

Back