Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were anti apple products. (I don't mean that as a shot, just thought you preferred non IOS) Anything in particular about the Air you like or is just the weight.

I use all of it. Windows, Android, Apple, etc. I happen to feel as though that the cult like following that Apple products receive is a bit laughable, but I will use anything that works for me. This would not work as my regular computer since its a glorified tablet but more expensive, but in a pinch and for traveling, the form factor is solid.

Electronics Pondering

I use all of it. Windows, Android, Apple, etc. I happen to feel as though that the cult like following that Apple products receive is a bit laughable, but I will use anything that works for me. This would not work as my regular computer since its a glorified tablet but more expensive, but in a pinch and for traveling, the form factor is solid.

Makes complete sense. I tend to agree with the cult like following. I have a iPhone and IPad Air.

But you and others have me seriously pondering a Galaxy for my next phone. I think it would be silly to only consider one brand, and not be open to other options that might be a better fit.

Last edited:
Picked up another laptop to use since my other two are a bit bogged down editing video coverage for the Morgan Cup.

Grabbed a MacBook Air since they got discounted.

Interested to hear your thoughts on that one. Have pondered grabbing one myself for home use.

Perfect description...works great for me as a tablet with a keyboard for Citrix access to work when I don't want to carry the bigger laptop.

Are you going to try video editing on it? I'd be curious as to how that works out for you.

Interested to hear your thoughts on that one. Have pondered grabbing one myself for home use.

We have had a MacBook Air for a little over a year and love it. It's very convenient and does everything my wife needs it to do. Any heavy workloads goto my desktop but I have been 110% satisfied with the Air for what we bought it for. With the limited power and storage capacity I wouldn't have bought it for a primary computer, just had to keep realistic expectations and it has exceeded them.

Are you going to try video editing on it? I'd be curious as to how that works out for you.

I have done a little gopro editing on ours, the speed is decent but the limited storage has been a drag. Longer videos required me to import, convert, edit and export 1 video at a time so those get done on the desktop now.

After one full night of using the Air, I am shocked that they can charge what they do for it. But it will serve the purpose for the most part and I got a heck of a deal on an open box. Great look and form factor, but the speed is attrocious for what you pay. There are small laptops that cost a third of the price that have the same specs it appears and similar weight.

But none of them will handle MTS files natively and those machines are not going to handle Vegas, Final Cut or anything of the like. I can at least take the MTS files and order them correctly natively in iMovie (FCP slows this machine down to a crawl) and then export them into a batch and move them to the PC for full editing or my MBP for full editing.

It really is a solid backup computer, that is quite pricey, but if one only lives in the Apple Ecosystem, then it would work solidly (meaning iPhone, MBP and iPad). For just browing the internet and simple tasks, it handles it just fine as expected. Handles the Mac Apps just fine. It even handles Garage Band just fine (we do some minor audio stuff in that).

It reminds me quite a bit of a Surface Pro, minus the tablet abilities. The MBP 13.3 is about $500 more, and since I have a 27" monitor I use for my office, probably should have opted for it, but with the 17" MBP already (and it wreaks) and the 15" Samsung as my primary, I could not justify spending over a grand for another backup computer.

Sandisk Connect:
Anyone use this device? It looks very good. I'm thinking of using one for an upcoming family trip to replace the Dual-screen DVD player that I usually install.

Thought is that this device, streaming video to the kids' iPads would be better, BUT, I also need it to stream a video to all simultaneously so they can watch together, not just their own streams.

Anyone have experience with it and know if it can stream a single video to multiple devices synchronously ?

Not really sure where to post this but this seems like the best spot IMO. I am looking for Free Antivirus software, I had Kasperkey installed on my laptop when i bought it years ago and had the automatic renewal set up through the Geek Squad but the 50 bucks a year they were charging seemed to be too much.

What do you use on your PC for Antivirus? I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

Not really sure where to post this but this seems like the best spot IMO. I am looking for Free Antivirus software, I had Kasperkey installed on my laptop when i bought it years ago and had the automatic renewal set up through the Geek Squad but the 50 bucks a year they were charging seemed to be too much.

What do you use on your PC for Antivirus? I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

Avira. used it for years working in the industry and still use it today.

AVG
Thank me later.

Thanks guys I will check those out.

Some good deals on the galaxy tab 8.4 pro today. Makes me ponder, even though I like my tablet

Some good deals on the galaxy tab 8.4 pro today. Makes me ponder, even though I like my tablet

I love my tablet. Love it. If it still comes with a year of GoGo internet, its even a sweeter deal.

I need to figure something out. The wife is sick of me stealing her laptop and the ipad just isn't getting it done. THP and browsing the Internet will be the main use. I would also like to have some kind of word program and need a keyboard.

Before winter I would like to get my hand on a Voice Caddy Sc100...

#GarageSwingWork

I need to figure something out. The wife is sick of me stealing her laptop and the ipad just isn't getting it done. THP and browsing the Internet will be the main use. I would also like to have some kind of word program and need a keyboard.

Toshiba Chrome Book....awesome. Love love mine and use it at work everyday for THP.

I want a G3

I want a G3

As a member of the Apple Fan Club, I support this ponder. G3 is a beast of a phone and I'm so happy I made the switch.

As a member of the Apple Fan Club, I support this ponder. G3 is a beast of a phone and I'm so happy I made the switch.

Well hell it's a must now!

FUPY!!

Well hell it's a must now!

FUPY!!

We can touch phones and do sweet Android stuff.

Wait, did that sound weird?

We can touch phones and do sweet Android stuff.

Wait, did that sound weird?

Seriously though, the more I research the more it does everything I want. But the battery and MicroSD really round it out for me over the Samsung.

But hell, I'd be happy with the 5 or the G3 to be honest.

Seriously though, the more I research the more it does everything I want. But the battery and MicroSD really round it out for me over the Samsung.

But hell, I'd be happy with the 5 or the G3 to be honest.

I don't think you can go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back