The Gauntlet w/ THP & Callaway Golf - Do You Dare Run The Gauntlet?

I know dude. After seeing all the excitement this weekend I can't wait to suit up with Team Finley and have a great time in HHI.
If I'm pumped up after following the MC this weekend, I can't even imagine the high you're on. No matter the outcome it will be the best golf weekend of our lives. We're up next. #theGauntlet #GiveItAllYouGot

Hopefully each participant is really working on their games. Spoke to some of the captains recently and they are all fired up and ready to go. They each want to win and do so with solid golf. Not sure who is out there working as the updates are a bit slower than other events, but you are on deck now. Lets hear how people are preparing.

I've been trying to play more often. And from varying tee boxes, just to get a many shots in the bag as possible. There's been some crazy windy days up here lately. I figure that has to help with the prep.

Swing is shaping up nicely. It can be seen in the swing tips section.

I've also been wagering a bit more, just to foster some sort of competitive environment

With a wedding, house move and now a business move my prep has been slowed way down. Throw on top of that I sliced my fingers wide open last week and haven't swung a club, I feel good about my game overall.

I've got multiple practice sessions set up with my coach and will start back at the range after we move the business and have time.

I'm shooting high 70s right now and really hoped to be shooting low 70s so it will take some work.

I've been trying to play more often. And from varying tee boxes, just to get a many shots in the bag as possible. There's been some crazy windy days up here lately. I figure that has to help with the prep.

Swing is shaping up nicely. It can be seen in the swing tips section.

I've also been wagering a bit more, just to foster some sort of competitive environment
Wind practice is good! There WILL be wind on those RTJ holes out by the ocean!

My prep has consisted of coming on THP and talking about how poorly I'm playing to lull my opponents into a false sense of security.

Aww crap.

My prep has consisted of coming on THP and talking about how poorly I'm playing to lull my opponents into a false sense of security.

Aww crap.

Any chance at a real update?
Are you working on your game? What is working and what isn't?

My game is in pretty good shape right now, if my putting does not improve in the next few weeks I will bear down & hit the putting green pretty hard, my putts are all around the hole just not dropping. As for practice, at least once week I spend 90 minutes chipping & putting, I don't find myself standing on the range hitting balls much lately due to the heat/rain, I would prefer to play some holes & hit random shots from odd spots.

Any chance at a real update?
Are you working on your game? What is working and what isn't?

Sure. I've been working periodically with an instructor at the course I normally play at. I've started playing more regularly in the Saturday points game there, and last I saw a score sheet I had a 5 point lead for the 9 week period. I went three weeks straight covering my points and scraping to low 90s without hitting a single fairway and then got the driver back on track, or at least on track for my skill level. Spent a couple weeks earlier this month where I couldn't hit a thing and was even shanking short chips and pitches, and brought it back to one of the best ball striking range sessions I've had since I got these Apexes. My index is as low as its ever been, and I feel confident it will continue to fall. I'm hoping to get at least one round in with some THPers in Orlando before heading to HHI, and some more instruction to tidy up my game before the big show.

Nice stuff guys. With a month still to go, there is still plenty of time to make a difference.

My swing has really settled in since the changes so my current goals are to gain consistency in my short game and to maintain my focus for all 18 holes. I'll have days where my short game is great and the next its nowhere to be found.

I play competitive match play with hcap every week and I've really noticed a big improvement in my ability to make a shot when I need it. For example, I was down 2 holes going to #16 last Sunday and shot -1 from there to win all three holes and the match. That followed another match where I had to win the last hole to not lose overall and birdied it.

I also have a member/guest tourney this weekend where ill get more competitive experience and experience different scoring systems and games over 36 holes.

5 weeks left and the intensity is ramping up big time!

I've been working a lot on my short game lately, namely putting and chipping. I have definitely seen improvement so far. I will be playing twice next week, once on a course I have never seen before since that is what I'll be walking into down in HH. The second will be on a local Nicklaus track that has ridiculous greens. They have two to three tiers on each green and they are smoking fast.

I spent some time at the range last night and everything was good but my driver. I just can't seem to hit it consistently. I'll hit 3 or 4 perfect shots in a row, then hit a low hook. I'm pretty sure it is my swing. I might have to take a visit to a pro in the next week or two.

Hopefully each participant is really working on their games.
Every Tuesday, $5 all you can hit and the pro comes out for tips, which I generally don't bother with, but out of freaking nowhere, I'm off on my timing somehow.
I hit 5 buckets last night. I also hit a bucket before every round. I am playing at least 36 a week.

Last night I was setting up over balls and my hat was just dripping. And it really wasn't that bad here yesterday, much cooler than normal.

Every Tuesday, $5 all you can hit and the pro comes out for tips, which I generally don't bother with, but out of freaking nowhere, I'm off on my timing somehow.
I hit 5 buckets last night. I also hit a bucket before every round. I am playing at least 36 a week.

Last night I was setting up over balls and my hat was just dripping. And it really wasn't that bad here yesterday, much cooler than normal.

I know that drip.

I've been playing more than usual for me lately. I have a couple 36 hole days planned during August. I've been practicing different aspects of my game a lot. Short game, putting, long game. Lately I haven't been striking the ball very well on full iron shots so I've focused on making solid contact and hitting down and through the ball. I've seen improvement. Been shooting some good scores but a couple bad holes have cost me in the overall department. Those blow up holes are mostly due to bad decisions to go for low % shots. For example, I recently carded a 9 on a relatively easy par 4. My drive was just off a little bit but really long putting me in a bad spot. Instead of just chipping out into the fairway and trying to save par that way, I tried to thread it between two trees and draw it onto the green, which led to me taking 4 to get out of a really wet and deep but flat bunker. All that to say I've learned my lesson about trying to always play Roy McAvoy golf when I need to be a little more like David Simms. During that round, after 10 holes I had 7 pars and a birdie but was still 6 over. I've had a lot of great holes lately but just need to put them together into great rounds. I plan on practicing my smart game from now until the Gauntlet.

I got my new sticks on Monday and was at the range with them yesterday. I have been playing at least once a week and practicing at least once a week. Sometimes it's as simple as putting in the house or hitting at the range. I will get a few more lessons in before the Gauntlet to dial in my driver. I also have been swinging my orange whip to help with tempo. I'll be on vacation in Rochester the week before the gauntlet but will have my clubs. I have an annual scramble to play in and then a round with my brother in laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sustained a rib injury 5 weeks ago so it's been mainly short game with focus on chipping. I have a driver session with my instructor this weekend and a putting one to follow just to dial in. The ribs felt better last week so I played 3 rounds at different courses which has helped me in my course management. I'll get 8-10 rounds of at least 9 holes in before the event.

I got my new sticks on Monday and was at the range with them yesterday. I have been playing at least once a week and practicing at least once a week. Sometimes it's as simple as putting in the house or hitting at the range. I will get a few more lessons in before the Gauntlet to dial in my driver. I also have been swinging my orange whip to help with tempo. I'll be on vacation in Rochester the week before the gauntlet but will have my clubs. I have an annual scramble to play in and then a round with my brother in laws.
Keep treating every time out at the range or the course as an opportunity to get better. Short game and putting are going to be crucial. I can't wait till we tee it up in Hilton Head, partner!

Keep treating every time out at the range or the course as an opportunity to get better. Short game and putting are going to be crucial. I can't wait till we tee it up in Hilton Head, partner!

I just text my instructor about a lesson this Sunday. I want to really focus on short game and just tweak driver. I am going to film my swing and see if Mr.kong can see any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working a lot on my short game lately, namely putting and chipping. I have definitely seen improvement so far. I will be playing twice next week, once on a course I have never seen before since that is what I'll be walking into down in HH. The second will be on a local Nicklaus track that has ridiculous greens. They have two to three tiers on each green and they are smoking fast.

I spent some time at the range last night and everything was good but my driver. I just can't seem to hit it consistently. I'll hit 3 or 4 perfect shots in a row, then hit a low hook. I'm pretty sure it is my swing. I might have to take a visit to a pro in the next week or two.
Great stuff, Andrew! Keep working on that short game. That is one of the quickest ways to get better. Playing difficult greens really helps too. My home course has crazy greens and it has really helped my putting. Especially lag putting. Looking forward to teeing it up with you in Hilton Head!

I just text my instructor about a lesson this Sunday. I want to really focus on short game and just tweak driver. I am going to film my swing and see if Mr.kong can see any issues.
Awesome stuff, Andy! I'm sitting here at work and I just got really excited for September hearing about my partners putting in the work!

My Captain is getting better

First of all, I want to say thank you to the other participants. I have been rather predisposed with another special event since selections were finalized back in May. It has not been particularly fair to this great event or it's participants. I am fully on board now, and can't wait to hear more details on what that weekend will entail. Meeting my teammate Chris (KnightLightPro) and Cace (Orange Hog) this weekend was terrific, as well as seeing my buddy Freddie again. I look forward to seeing and meeting everyone in just a few weeks.

On the plus side, I was rather pleased with how I played this weekend, in both team and individual formats. I have still got swing thoughts from my lessons of the past few months that I need to firm up, which could tighten my game up a bit further. I will be mainly focused on those at the range and course over the next 5-6 weeks.

Really looking forward to meeting and playing with you Donne!

First of all, I want to say thank you to the other participants. I have been rather predisposed with another special event since selections were finalized back in May. It has not been particularly fair to this great event or it's participants. I am fully on board now, and can't wait to hear more details on what that weekend will entail. Meeting my teammate Chris (KnightLightPro) and Cace (Orange Hog) this weekend was terrific, as well as seeing my buddy Freddie again. I look forward to seeing and meeting everyone in just a few weeks.

On the plus side, I was rather pleased with how I played this weekend, in both team and individual formats. I have still got swing thoughts from my lessons of the past few months that I need to firm up, which could tighten my game up a bit further. I will be mainly focused on those at the range and course over the next 5-6 weeks.

Back