Considering changing instructors...

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
A little background:
I started off taking lessons with my instructor Josh last winter.
We get along great, and he has really helped me and my game, but I think my flexibility issues are
preventing us from getting where we need to be.
In saying that, I mean he wants me to ingrain movements that just don't seem to be there due to me lack of flexibility.

He has helped me drop from a 36 to just recently a 19.2.
His help has been awesome, but I just feel like I am in a rut.
His typical client is high school and college players who don't lack flexibility.

I am considering seeking out someone who maybe works with seniors, who have lost some flexibility.

Is this a recipe for disaster?
Or, could this kickstart more improvement?

Thoughts please.

To me, trust is the number one factor CJ. Trust your instincts and nobody says a change has to be permanent. I lack some flexibility and deal with neck and. Lower back pain, so I know what you mean. My guy knows my limitations and works with me around them.

On a side note, FK has never showed me anything that my body is not capable of doing. Send him some video.

You are on a handicap dropping roll. Keep it up bud!

JM

As long the new instructor doesn't try and change your whole swing and builds on what you have already learned, then there should be no problems at all. Butch Harmon has said many times that he does not try to rebuild a swing, he fine tunes the swing you already have.

If you're not comfortable with what the instructor asks you should change instructors. You'll get more out of the instruction and avoid the pressure of maybe trying to do something your body isn't comfortable with and risking injury.

Have you brought these concerns up with your instructor?

What are you doing to improve your flexibility? Seeing a trainer? Stretching on your own?

What are you doing to improve your flexibility? Seeing a trainer? Stretching on your own?

I have went from stretching never to twice a day, It is improving, but I don't think I will ever be described as limber.

I have went from stretching never to twice a day, It is improving, but I don't think I will ever be described as limber.
Man that sounds like a lot of effort to golf!:call-me:

If he's trying to make you do something that you physically cannot do or are extremely uncomfortable doing, then by all means look for someone else. I cannot swing my clubs like I did 15 years ago and have since adjusted my swing. If my instructor, which I don't have right now, tried getting me to change my swing up to swing like I was 21 again, I would have to put my foot down and ask him to work with what he's got in regards to a student. If he's unwilling, then it's time to look for someone else.

I think if you feel that you need to a change to jump start improvement then do it you can always go back to the old guy if things don't improve

Thanks for the input everyone, I will say Josh has got me doing some good things,I have appreciated him dropping a good 16 points off my HCP.
He IS a good instructor IMO, but maybe just another set of eyes would have an idea to push me over a hump.

I got to a point with my previous instructor where I felt like I plateud. He started saying things repeatedly or telling me to do something instead of how to do something...it just wasn't working anymore. I just took a break. When I was ready to return to working on my game I went with a different guy. His different way of teaching and explaining and communicating really let me get to a next level. To me the key is this: if either the old or new teacher are the kind of person who teach a specific technique you are doomed. If the new guy is a teacher who works with what you have, you should be fine.

I say follow your heart. If you're thinking a change is needed, give it a try. You can always go back if you decide the change wasn't for the best. Have to do what makes you the most comfortable and confident, imho.

I would say if you have to start this thread you have already made up your mind, go kick the tires somewhere else to get to the next level.

As long the new instructor doesn't try and change your whole swing and builds on what you have already learned, then there should be no problems at all. Butch Harmon has said many times that he does not try to rebuild a swing, he fine tunes the swing you already have.

I agree. My teacher has been teaching me since the early 70's when I was a kid and now I'm almost 53. Lots of things have changed body/health wise and my teacher does nothing to change MY swing, just fine tune and make sure I'm still in correct positions with each club.

I have switched instructors a few times. Sometimes another instructor says something in a different way than the previous one and it sinks in/hits home easier. I have gone back to my previous instructor since he knows my swing and tendencies and can make the necessary tweaks pretty easily. I have heard him talk with other students of his who have the flexibility issues and prevent them from getting to certain positions and he works with them to make adjustments around these limitations. It wouldn't hurt to work with someone else for awhile who understands your limitations.

CJ, changing instructors isn't going to help. Your flexibility can not be worked around. It has to be taken care of. You really need to get on a program that will help you to lose weight and become more flexible. There is really no way around that and I say this with the upmost respect. If you want to improve your golf game then your physical presence needs to be adjusted.

Any tips you get will be temporary as your flexibility or lack of flexibility will always come back into play. I think you should find a nutritionist and strength coach to get your body where it needs to me.
A little background:
I started off taking lessons with my instructor Josh last winter.
We get along great, and he has really helped me and my game, but I think my flexibility issues are
preventing us from getting where we need to be.
In saying that, I mean he wants me to ingrain movements that just don't seem to be there due to me lack of flexibility.

He has helped me drop from a 36 to just recently a 19.2.
His help has been awesome, but I just feel like I am in a rut.
His typical client is high school and college players who don't lack flexibility.

I am considering seeking out someone who maybe works with seniors, who have lost some flexibility.

Is this a recipe for disaster?
Or, could this kickstart more improvement?

Thoughts please.

CJ have you ever given yoga a thought? I know it sounds odd but it will really help with your flexibility. I have taken a few classes at our YMCA that I belong to and already notice a difference in my flexibility

Like many have said, trust your instincts. If i was in your position, I would move on from this teacher. With your lack flexibility this instructor took you as far as he can. I would find someone that could build off of where you are today and help you achieve your goals but not changing your current swing.

I wish I could give you some good advice, however seeing as I have never had an instructor I just dont have much to offer other than trust your gut...its usually right. If you feel its time for a change then do it. Even the pros don't stick with the same coach forever. Maybe he has taken you as far as he can.

Thank you everyone, I think I know my path.

CJ have you ever given yoga a thought? I know it sounds odd but it will really help with your flexibility. I have taken a few classes at our YMCA that I belong to and already notice a difference in my flexibility

I second this. I'm not into yoga myself, but one of my good friends is a yoga instructor and his flexibility is impressive. My boss also swears by yoga... although he does DDP yoga (Diamond Dallas Page) because he thinks it's more manly :D

I think trust is huge and maybe a change would help.

If flexibility is your issue than I highly suggest an instructor I met in person in late 90's . Aj BonAr Golf , he has some videos out I believe . It is strictly about releasing the club. Out of 5 people in the seminar , at least 3 were pushing 350 to 400'lbs . He had them hitting real well after 2 days . I played that way for a few years , but reached a point where I wanted more. For flexibility issues his stuff worked best for guys that struggle with that area

Highly recommend The "fix your body, fix your swing" book for golf specific exercises. There's a thread on it I here. It's helped my flexibility a lot in a short time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CJ, changing instructors isn't going to help. Your flexibility can not be worked around. It has to be taken care of. You really need to get on a program that will help you to lose weight and become more flexible. There is really no way around that and I say this with the upmost respect. If you want to improve your golf game then your physical presence needs to be adjusted.

Any tips you get will be temporary as your flexibility or lack of flexibility will always come back into play. I think you should find a nutritionist and strength coach to get your body where it needs to me.

I wouldn't quite take this advice to bank. Plenty of sound golfers out there with limited flexibility. Flexibility allows you to hit the ball further, it isn't going to do much for keeping the club on plane.

In general, being more flexible and losing weight is good for the self overall, but it doesn't necessarily correlate to improved golf game. Carl Peterson lost a bunch of weight in previous seasons and his golf game went to junk.

Back