Best/Worst Marketing Of The Year So Far

Best-Tied between Callaway using Berthas Back and Bridgestone "Made in the USA" theme

Worst-Taylormade Jetspeed and by a LONGSHOT

honorable mention-Titleist and the ProV1 commercials, im sick and tired of Jim Nantz telling me 1 ball is good for every player out there

For casual people:

Best- Probably Bridgestone. Their commercials have been great.
Worst- Nike. Their newest irons are the top rated iron on Golf.com reviews and I have seen almost zero about them on television. From a marketing standpoint, it's even hard to tell their irons apart from one another.

I agree with the Nike part but Nike knows what they're doing. Their biggest seller is clothes, shoes and golf balls. They can't and won't compete with other golf club brand manufacturers out there as it's not there bread n butter and they know they cannot compete on that level. I think financially it would be a losing battle for them in that department. I will agree that there clubs are great though. Great for me at least.

Best - Bertha and Cleveland/Srixon Journey to Better. Two campaigns that were just awesome. Bridgestone's commercials have had me laughing my head off they have been so good/funny.

Worst - TaylorMade Jetspeed (when you are in the store and even the salespeople laugh at the Jetspeed promotions, that is not a good thing)

I agree with the Nike part but Nike knows what they're doing. Their biggest seller is clothes, shoes and golf balls. They can't and won't compete with other golf club brand manufacturers out there as it's not there bread n butter and they know they cannot compete on that level. I think financially it would be a losing battle for them in that department. I will agree that there clubs are great though. Great for me at least.

They didnt get into golf to not sell hard goods. Their goal is to sell equipment.

For me...

Worst is clearly the TM JetSpeed campaign. It was like TM didn't know how to describe this line of woods, so they just put Wayne Gretzky's daughter in some tight clothes.

I thought the #BerthasBack campaign was really impactful and well done. I agree with many that the Bridgestone USA marketing was also really good.

Best-Tied between Callaway using Berthas Back and Bridgestone "Made in the USA" theme

Worst-Taylormade Jetspeed and by a LONGSHOT

honorable mention-Titleist and the ProV1 commercials, im sick and tired of Jim Nantz telling me 1 ball is good for every player out there

I especially enjoy seeing a ProV1 commercial telling me that everyone only needs a ProV1 or ProV1x, soon to be followed by commercials for Titleist NXT and Velocity balls. Makes sense to me.

Its funny about Nike. They make some really great equipment and their new line of RZN balls is outstanding. I sometimes feel like Nike could be the manufacturer to start getting more people into the game, they just haven't found the message yet.

Best: this has to be the resurrection of the Big Bertha name. I think that name stands out along with TM Burner (who will ever forget the bubble shafts) and Ping Eye2. It brought people back 20 years and forced a desire to reconnect with Bertha, I think it's been very successful. Big Bertha built a cult like following and I'm curious if that can be maintained and/or resurrected.

Worst: tough to top JetSpeed as has been mentioned. Simply stated: TM has done a horrendous job with product naming. They change so frequently with no consistency from one line to another using terms such as RocketBallz & JetSpeed.

Best: I really don't know. I think Bridgestone with the made in the USA spots has been really good. I also liked the Nike play in the now spots. #LoftUp, whether you agree with it or not, I think has been pretty good for TM.

I think Jetspeed is the worst. But the more I look at it, the more I don't know if it was because of the marketing or just because of the lack of interest in that product. I guess perhaps its the chicken or the egg with this one. I'm going to give mention to X2 Hot too. X hot seemed to be marketed well, I just think the X2 Hot stuff was a step backwards.

Best: this has to be the resurrection of the Big Bertha name. I think that name stands out along with TM Burner (who will ever forget the bubble shafts) and Ping Eye2. It brought people back 20 years and forced a desire to reconnect with Bertha, I think it's been very successful. Big Bertha built a cult like following and I'm curious if that can be maintained and/or resurrected.

Worst: tough to top JetSpeed as has been mentioned. Simply stated: TM has done a horrendous job with product naming. They change so frequently with no consistency from one line to another using terms such as RocketBallz & JetSpeed.

Great point about the TM names. Seems like every year they have gotten worse.

Best: I would have to agree with most and say Callaway.

Worst: I would have to agree with Jetspeed. Barely remember the commercials and that was partly because I turned the channel just about everytime they came on. They were creepy..

Best: Nothing has seriously stood out that screamed "best" to me in all honestly. Bertha has been great. B330 golf balls made in the USA has been great as well.

Worst: JetSpeed was terrible. I can't stand Titleist's ProV1 ads either. It's like they will NOT accept the science of it all. The problem is that too many uneducated people believe all their propaganda.

I am curious why they would spend so much money developing and manufacturing clubs. I don't think it would be a losing battle for them financially to compete with other OEMs. Nike is around a $30B company, and despite being a relative newcomer, their golf equipment business is somewhere around a billion. They just had one of their stars win the Open Championship using a bag full of their clubs.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to develop a product like the VRS Covert Forged irons, which by many accounts are the best performing GI irons on the market, why does nobody know about them? To me, it indicates a lapse in marketing.

Awesome thread.

Best: Nike's "play in the now" is great but I think Callaway's "Bertha's Back" was the most successful. Great revolutionary product with a solid marketing plan.

Bridgestone's "Made in the USA" doesn't resonate with me for obvious reasons. I never even saw anything about Srixon's "Journey to Better" other than on THP.

Worst: Jetspeed. It was basically Taylormade's version of letting themselves go. Just brutal marketing. Sooooooooo bad.

Best - Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1x commercials where they show the ball count on tour. Titleist knows that a lot of golfers worry/wonder about what golfers on tour are using, and they play to that perfectly.

Worst - Probably those speed police commercials from Taylormade.

Best: journey to better

Worst: speed police. Muppets get me to buy a car, but not golf clubs. I have no idea why.

Callaway's overall marketing model wins best honors for me. Not just the individual advertising spots (which are good but not particularly memorable imo), but their very personal approach makes a huge difference, and right now they are being audacious and fun with how they market their product.

Worst is probably Titleist. So much contradiction in their adverts. On TV this weekend I watched a pro v1 commercial talk about how different balls for different players is dumb and everyone should pay a pro v1, then another commercial, then another Titleist commercial... Hawking the nxt tour line! Why have more than 1 line of balls of your commercials are going to say everyone should be playing the pro v1? I know there are reasons, but at the time it was pretty laughable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

As others have said..

Best = Bertha is back

Worst = Jetspeed

I absolutely love my jetspeed though but it was marketed horribly

Best: Callaway Big Bertha they really did a great job with Win Phils paycheck, and just all around advertising.

Worst: Jetspeed by far, which is interesting because when I went in for a hybrid and wood fitting I couldn't miss with those clubs. As much as I wanted to hit better with the Sldr, Adams tight lies, and Callaways offerings. The fitter kept laughing because he never once pushed them on me and I kept going back to the rack and grabbing them. I ended up with the 3 wood, and 4-5 hybrid.

Best for me would be the Bridgestone USA commercials. But here's why, I feel they did such a good job with it they make you feel they are the only ones doing this and that probably from a marketing standpoint had to be great.

Worst was was honestly all the Dicks commercials, I would have them on and think it was a commercial for Taylormade and not Dicks.

I especially enjoy seeing a ProV1 commercial telling me that everyone only needs a ProV1 or ProV1x, soon to be followed by commercials for Titleist NXT and Velocity balls. Makes sense to me.

Leave it to the lawyer to point out logical flaws :)

Best for me is Bridgestone. I like the comedy side they use with the staff guys in the proshop and the slight shot they take a Titleist in one of the comericals of the guy asking for the Pro balls..

Worst for me is Titleist and the Pro V1 commericals. I can't really stand Jim Nantz as it is, and then him talking in the commerical and them beating it into the ground that everyone fits the Pro V1 no matter what drives me nuts.

Best :ping- Burt long or Bridgestone
Worst : TM - Jetspeed

Worst was Taylormade selling their mini driver as a 3W replacement. In regards to hitting it off the deck.

Have you tried it off the deck many do not seem to have a tone of problems

Best Model Campaign: Bertha Series (Bertha Long, Sir Isaac, Can't Argue Physics)
Worst Model Campaign: Jetspeed (Speed Police was just creepy) I felt that that model wasn't pushed enough and that it conflicted with the loft up campaign.
Best Catch Phrase: REDONKULONG

Couldnt have said it better. A close second for top billing would be Cleveland/Srixon #JourneyToBetter and then Bridgestone with what they do best!

Back