TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Considering its virtually the identical head...

Other than removing the adapter. Which supposedly plays with the CG. I can't imagine it does much though .

Other than removing the adapter. Which supposedly plays with the CG. I can't imagine it does much though .

We're talking half grams in the end. It's pretty much identical in performance with a cool silver paint job.

DDec can do it. Jman did it with no effort. Me, hell, I can't hit a hybo off the deck.

Hahahaha, I did hit a mid bullet off the deck. Off the tee though it was hilariously long for me.

Got out for 9 holes with this today at the home course. I can't say there was much of a difference in distance from my R1. Not a big sample size but I found myself in the usual spots. I hit all 7 fairways, nothing to complain about there. I do feel I am more prone to hitting a slight fade with this club.

I'm really considering ordering the 460 head in 10.5 or 12 with the TS 8.3 X shaft cut to play at 44.5" overall which should put it at around 79 grams and a D2.5/D3 swing weight.

I'm just concerned with going with a 10.5 and needing more loft causing too closed of a face at impact , or going with the 12 and needing less loft causing too open of a face at impact. It's hard to know for sure because it's not a shaft that I will be able to hit in a driver length.

It's not an S, the TM staffers rocked the S's.

RyJo hits it well, seriously. Fupy obliterated it.

I know the SLDR is hit or miss and even i couldnt get it right with the stock shaft. I found my excalibur with the 12* SLDR S and AD-MT shaft. I cant tell you how perfect it is. Kenn from TaylorMade helped me understand the dynamics of a drive and this combo is long, high and easy to work. Other then a few miscues, this thing does what I want when I want it and it goes for miles.

And Ryan was hitting some awesome shots. I know how much he hated the SLDR so seeing him hit the S well with the Red Tie is a testament to how well it works when its the right setup.

I know the SLDR is hit or miss and even i couldnt get it right with the stock shaft. I found my excalibur with the 12* SLDR S and AD-MT shaft. I cant tell you how perfect it is. Kenn from TaylorMade helped me understand the dynamics of a drive and this combo is long, high and easy to work. Other then a few miscues, this thing does what I want when I want it and it goes for miles.

And Ryan was hitting some awesome shots. I know how much he hated the SLDR so seeing him hit the S well with the Red Tie is a testament to how well it works when its the right setup.

The Speeder 57 stock shaft is a joke with the SLDR.

I suggest anyone wanting to test out a SLDR to go to Golfsmith/local fitter and ask to try the SLDR alongside a SLDR TP. You will realize the potential in this club.

We're talking half grams in the end. It's pretty much identical in performance with a cool silver paint job.
but the paint makes it go faster

I suggest anyone wanting to test out a SLDR to go to Golfsmith/local fitter and ask to try the SLDR alongside a SLDR TP. You will realize the potential in this club.

for some the stock shaft does work but the SLDR seems to need the correct shaft for the player to get the best out of it

The Speeder 57 worked just fine for me.

I've said something similar. But usually I try to add "for me" at the end.

Only the sith deal in absolutes.

I hit the TP Speeder better than the stock shaft but can't say I cared much for either of them. I do think finding the right shaft for this is key though.

For me, the stock shaft and Tp shaft and I didn't get along and I kept launching it too low, even in max loft settings.

That club though.. You catch it with a good move, it's going to get out there. You catch it center of the face and it really gets out there.

I'm really considering ordering the 460 head in 10.5 or 12 with the TS 8.3 X shaft cut to play at 44.5" overall which should put it at around 79 grams and a D2.5/D3 swing weight.

I'm just concerned with going with a 10.5 and needing more loft causing too closed of a face at impact , or going with the 12 and needing less loft causing too open of a face at impact. It's hard to know for sure because it's not a shaft that I will be able to hit in a driver length.

That is the dilemma, I opted for the 12. My past drivers were 8.5 supertri, 9.0 R11 and 9.0 R11S. With the SLDR 12 and 12.5 seem to be the best for me, next will try 11.5, have never had any problem with low trajectory issues. In the SLDR it would be my guess that 11.5 setting is lowest THAT MIGHT WORK WELL BUT REALLY NEED TO TRY A FEW OF THE LOWER SETTINGS to know for sure . If it turns out that the setting that works best for me is 12.5 or the stock 12 glad I DID NOT GO THE 10.5 ROUTE AND HAVE TO GET THERE BY CLOSING THE FACE.

In the past I have opted out of stock shafts quite a few times, so I am not a stock shaft fanboy. For what it may be worth I would recommend disregarding the above comment. Everyone is different, but it is incorrect to claim the speeder 57 to be a joke. For me and no doubt quite a few others just the opposite is true. If the shaft was some joke or junk then TAYLORMADE would not be stupid enough to use it.

For me, the stock shaft and Tp shaft and I didn't get along and I kept launching it too low, even in max loft settings.

That club though.. You catch it with a good move, it's going to get out there. You catch it center of the face and it really gets out there.

You should try it with a black tie...

The Speeder 57 worked just fine for me.

My apologies, Mr. Scratch.

I've said something similar. But usually I try to add "for me" at the end.

Only the sith deal in absolutes.

You're right Blu- but you've also used one yourself.

My opinion really was that the TP shaft worked better for me- but results may vary.

The speeder either works for you or doesn't. Just because a guy is a +6 or 36, it either works for their move through the ball or it doesn't.

My apologies, Mr. Scratch.

You're right Blu- but you've also used one yourself.

My opinion really was that the TP shaft worked better for me- but results may vary.

I've never used the stock shaft in the SLDR.

Let's keep this civil, thanks

Stock shaft has been working just fine for me since November. Haven't tried any other shafts, maybe there's better out there though.

I was referring to absolutes. You said ONLY Siths speak in absolutes.

For whatever it's worth. I tried 4 different shafts in my SLDR. The TP Speeder, a Black Tie, a Red Tie, and a Fuji Fuel.

One worked better for me than the others. This is a goofy driver head. Finding a good shaft pairing is really key. Almost more key than other driver heads.

For whatever it's worth. I tried 4 different shafts in my SLDR. The TP Speeder, a Black Tie, a Red Tie, and a Fuji Fuel.

One worked better for me than the others. This is a goofy driver head. Finding a good shaft pairing is really key. Almost more key than other driver heads.

Case in point, AD-DI worked terribly for me, AD-MT was a whole different story. The combo of low and forward CG makes finding the right launch angle and spin touchy.

Back