Throwback Thursday - Liquidmetal Golf Driver

I had one. It was actually a great driver. It was stolen, along with my Titleist Howitzer and a full set of other clubs (Callaway Steelhead 3 wood, Ping MyDay putter, Ping Zing 2 irons, staff bag, etc.) They even sent me a dozen LiquidMetal balls, which were actually not bad.

I see the on the 'bay pretty cheap

I remember these. Rarer than hen's teeth in my neck of the woods. Everyone wanted one, but they were pretty pricey.

So JB did anyone ever doing any testing or reviewing of that Driver? The way they show the ball drop test I would think everyone would be 300 yards plus. I mean is liquid metal that much different than titanium that you will see huge distance gains??

I demoed one when they came out and just killed it, but couldn't afford it

So JB did anyone ever doing any testing or reviewing of that Driver? The way they show the ball drop test I would think everyone would be 300 yards plus. I mean is liquid metal that much different than titanium that you will see huge distance gains??

I hit mine longer than most drivers of the day, but it was not as long as the non-conforming Callaway ERC II of the day.

Im sure they are out there (reviews). It was a well loved driver and used on many tours. The USGA still has their limits on COR.

First off the differences in the video with the ball bouncing is just crazy.

secondly, that price tag at that point in time is just crazy, $2400 for irons, and people complain about price tags now.
I was thinking the same thing, I wonder what that would cost with inflation.

I had just picked up the game when these came out and I wanted one badly. Just couldn't afford it coming right out of high school but this brings back memories! I drooled on many of these that year, lol.

I read an article recently about Apple patenting liquid metal bezels for future iPhone (maybe even the iPhone 6) production. They said one of the benefits of the liquid metal casing is that it could be seamless. Apple was also patented something to do with counter gravity casing which went into way too much technical detail for me to remember.

My tennis rackets use this material haha. Pretty interesting stuff.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I remember seeing this thing and thinking it was ugly....I still think it's ugly. I've never hit it though. I'm sure you can find it pretty cheap these days.

Loving the throwback. I also have never heard of the golf clubs but I did have a liquid metal racquetball racquet in college. It was awesome.

I definitely remember the commercials. 18 year old me really wanted this driver. Though I didn't realize it was that expensive.

My tennis rackets use this material haha. Pretty interesting stuff.

Mine does too as a matter of fact...totally forgot about that until you mentioned it. It's a Head.

Mine does too as a matter of fact...totally forgot about that until you mentioned it. It's a Head.

Yep, they used it in the mid 2000s on a number of different series - not sure if they still use it or if they've upgraded to something even fancier haha.

Well, I want one.

I remember hearing the name, but since I didn't play golf then I didn't really know anything more. Pretty dang interesting to be honest.

I remember those never owned one but i think my cousin still has one

With that fantastic demonstration, now I kind of want one. I see they are only $35 on ebay.

~Rock

Going to have a bunch more about this particular Throwback Thursday coming soon.

Nice! I like this kinda stuff a lot.

Nice! I like this kinda stuff a lot.

Just another club line in the lineage of John Hoeflich. He is being kind enough to send us over some cool info on it.

Back