Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow A's just got tougher as if that was possible

PHENOMENAL deal for Boston.

I have to imagine this includes some exclusive negotiating window for Lester or even a financial commitment. I couldn't see them giving him up for 12 starts

Seriously, I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that. Going forward, and I'm talking in the next 2-3 years, not next season, a power bat in the lineup was a much bigger need for the Red Sox than pitching with David Ortiz nearing the end of his career. The Red Sox had no one in the pipeline in the minors that was a big-time power hitter. However, if Cespedes can really be an FA in a year or 2, the Red Sox better throw the bank at him and resign him, otherwise this deal isn't good in the long run.

I actually think this is a really smart move by the A's. Cespedes is exactly the kind of player a small market team trades when they are out of contention - he's a year away from FA and they aren't going to resign him for the money he's going to command. Also, for all his accolades, he's basically a 130 games a year and .250 hitting type player.

Billy Beane is making the moves. Perhaps they might get out of that first round now.

Seriously, I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that. Going forward, and I'm talking in the next 2-3 years, not next season, a power bat in the lineup was a much bigger need for the Red Sox than pitching with David Ortiz nearing the end of his career. The Red Sox had no one in the pipeline in the minors that was a big-time power hitter. However, if Cespedes can really be an FA in a year or 2, the Red Sox better throw the bank at him and resign him, otherwise this deal isn't good in the long run.

Ya, I posted this before I saw that little caveat in his contract. I thought he had a few years left. 1+ year of Cespedes isn't going to get them in the WS, because they are further away than 1 piece for next year, but hopefully he enjoys Boston and resigns with them.

970x66_oak_cespedes.jpg

I don't see anyway this is a bad deal for Boston. They obviously didn't think they were resigning Lester, so they shipped off a player who is awful in the field and average with a bat for a year of Cespedis, and maybe more.

I wish it weren't true, but I think it was a great move for Boston.

I couldn't be happier with this deal. Honestly thought if they traded Lester it was going to be for prospects. Agree with you in this is immediate protection for Ortiz in the lineup or vice vesa. Long term it is a potential replacement for him in the lineup.

I believe the Sox have been reluctant about going more than 4 years on contracts, but they may have to make an exception with this guy.

The Green Monster is going to have some more dents in it with this guy playing there on a regular basis.

I couldn't be happier with this deal. Honestly thought if they traded Lester it was going to be for prospects. Agree with you in this is immediate protection for Ortiz in the lineup or vice vesa. Long term it is a potential replacement for him in the lineup.

I believe the Sox have been reluctant about going more than 4 years on contracts, but they may have to make an exception with this guy.

The Green Monster is going to have some more dents in it with this guy playing there on a regular basis.

I get what you're saying, but I'd still rather have Lester on the Red Sox with a long-term deal in place. Somehow, I don't agree with all the noise out there that he's just going to resign with the Red Sox this offseason after the A's rent him for the rest of the year. The management team of the Red Sox has shown over the years that they resign the players early that they want to keep, and those that they don't want to keep always hit free agency and leave. It's going to suck when Lester is wearing pinstripes next year.

Theres obviously going to be mixed feelings coming from both sides. Personally, I absolutely love the deal. We really needed that power bat and he should just eat up the monster. Yes I get it, its sad to see lester go and let our ace leave but there is the chance we get him back. Of course other teams will be throwing bank at him in the fall, but if he really wants to come back to Boston, he will for the right price.

If we can get Lester back, re sign cespedes after next year and give our young guys more time to grow..... 1-2 years down the road were going to be a powerhouse.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I get what you're saying, but I'd still rather have Lester on the Red Sox with a long-term deal in place. Somehow, I don't agree with all the noise out there that he's just going to resign with the Red Sox this offseason after the A's rent him for the rest of the year. The management team of the Red Sox has shown over the years that they resign the players early that they want to keep, and those that they don't want to keep always hit free agency and leave. It's going to suck when Lester is wearing pinstripes next year.
Oh I agree with you - would rather have Lester long term. Not sure what was communicated in negotiations that led them to actively shop him, but once it was apprent they were going to do so - I was hoping for a good return.

I am with you and doubt they resign him in the off season as I think the price is going to be high..really high. I am really hoping it isn't pinstripes.

Another Red Sox pitcher on the move:

I am nervous about what we gave up...

Miller I imagine is gone for sure. As for the Outfielder we gave up... We shall see

this gave me a chuckle....

Peter Botte@PeterBotte 2m Boston will start Bill Lee, Oil Can Boyd and Luis Tiant this weekend against the Yankees.

so the Red Sox have traded 3 of the 4 guys who started World Series games last year or the 4 guys who started the 1st 4 games this year

I am nervous about what we gave up...

Miller I imagine is gone for sure. As for the Outfielder we gave up... We shall see

Here you go:

ARY beat me to it

The A's sure put together a nasty pitching staff

I will miss Joe Kelly, but Allen Craig is ok with me.

I sure hope the giants do something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back