Hotel Rewards Programs & Deals Thread

They all have limited inventory available for points, but I pretty much agree. I can usually get Economy Comfort, though.

United has two levels of miles redemption. Full rate for use any seat anytime and half rate on certain itineraries if you book well in advance. If you have the miles you can always book a seat on United. The key is trying to find the cheaper mileage seats.

I used about 29k points total on SW to book my girlfriend and I from KC to west palm beach. Not bad at all. Still have almost 70k left and 20k from the original 50k I got from signing up.

I swear the more I use Delta (2 trips in the next 10 days), the more I find their points useless. I have yet to be able to upgrade with them. Yet if I want to purchase the full fare, the seats are available. Why offer upgrades if you wont let travelers ever do so. Just say it up front. "Use your points whenever possible, because we have so many restrictions, they are borderline worthless"

Exactly, so many restrictions its worthless

I used about 29k points total on SW to book my girlfriend and I from KC to west palm beach. Not bad at all. Still have almost 70k left and 20k from the original 50k I got from signing up.

My wife and I got from Nashville to Orlando for under 30k points as well. If you pick the right flights on SW you can really get a lot out of their rapid rewards points. Too bad I have to drive to Nashville to use them.

My wife and I got from Nashville to Orlando for under 30k points as well. If you pick the right flights on SW you can really get a lot out of their rapid rewards points. Too bad I have to drive to Nashville to use them.

Ya that part is less than ideal, but honestly the big reason I like them is the ease of getting back to my family in Dallas. Fly KC to dallas (they have like 8-10 flights a day) for 200 bucks flat almost anytime of the year

Southwest Fined for deceptive advertising. ..offered 59 dollar flights on a few routes and then made 0 seats available

I wish the fine was bigger. That is terrible.

I avoid Southwest whenever possible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

I am a Hyatt member but stay there all that often. I used to be Hilton Gold for a few years but lost it since I don't travel all that often for work anymore. For work trips I can usually get Embassy Suites for per diem but I may have to start looking at Hyatt brands. i have definitely been more than satisfied the few times I have stayed with them.

I worked for Hilton for almost 20 years until this year. But I can tell you I stayed more nights at Hyatt over the past 5 years than I did at a Hilton property (not counting my GM comps).

So basically if I had to pay full boat I chose a Hyatt and have status with them. No that's not the reason I lost my job. Ha

Last edited:
Starwood Amex 30k point program is back.
Its a solid card (we have it). Great program. Redemption is not the best, but lots of hotel choices, many upscale.
The best part of the card are its fringe benefits. You can transfer points to most airlines at 1:1 which is awesome. And you can get a 20% bonus on airline point transfers too. So as example, if you transfer 20k to Delta, you would actually get 20% more points on top of the 20k you transfered.

Starwood Amex 30k point program is back.
Its a solid card (we have it). Great program. Redemption is not the best, but lots of hotel choices, many upscale.
The best part of the card are its fringe benefits. You can transfer points to most airlines at 1:1 which is awesome. And you can get a 20% bonus on airline point transfers too. So as example, if you transfer 20k to Delta, you would actually get 20% more points on top of the 20k you transfered.

Interesting. Really need a good program for airline redemption. It seems flying to Vegas in August isn't very cheap. Plus would be nice not spending more money on flights if I get into more THP events.

For those looking at hotel programs, Hyatt status is something that is very very enjoyable. You get Platinum for just having the credit card (should you go that route) and it has some perks such as discounted rooms, more points earning, etc. Diamond (next step up) offers a sea of new things such as Regency Clubs, suite upgrades and more.

The best part is their redemption vs earning is one of the best around and their low end properties (Hyatt Place) are nicer than just about every other low end out there.

For those looking at hotel programs, Hyatt status is something that is very very enjoyable. You get Platinum for just having the credit card (should you go that route) and it has some perks such as discounted rooms, more points earning, etc. Diamond (next step up) offers a sea of new things such as Regency Clubs, suite upgrades and more.

The best part is their redemption vs earning is one of the best around and their low end properties (Hyatt Place) are nicer than just about every other low end out there.
Working for a competitor of that chain. I can't disagree with one word of what you said.

I'm a member of their Hyatt Paasport program. When I can't get my chain discount, I look for Hyatt. I'm one stay away from Platinum.

I'm not all that familiar with the Hyatt brand; and when I travel for work I utilize the IHG (Priority Club) program (rewards & card) exclusively. As I venture out of NYS more and more, would you recommend the Hyatt credit card to someone who won't use the card much just for the added benefit of the perks you list above? Or is it a card program you really have to use to see the benefits of?

I'm not all that familiar with the Hyatt brand; and when I travel for work I utilize the IHG (Priority Club) program (rewards & card) exclusively. As I venture out of NYS more and more, would you recommend the Hyatt credit card to someone who won't use the card much just for the added benefit of the perks you list above? Or is it a card program you really have to use to see the benefits of?
I wouldnt. as much as I have enjoyed the brand and card, you must utilize it with stays to get full perks.

other cards offer more in terms of status for having the card. mainly IHG and Hilton.

I want to say that I am continuously impressed with the Clubs (Regency & Grand) for elite status members at Hyatt. To give you an example, here was the setup and itinerary for the Regency Club of our last stay.

Continental Breakfast in the morning.
Snacks in the afternoon including delicious cookies.
Evening had light food such as cheeses, meats, potato skins, salads.
8-9pm desserts including cookies, cakes, etc.
All you want coffee, soda, bottled water, fruit, etc.

This is all included for Diamond members along with the other perks. Makes me glad we have stayed with the brand and did the Diamond Challenge. They really go above and beyond what we have had with other chains.

Heading back to CA in August and just booked the entire 6 day stay on points.

Heading back to CA in August and just booked the entire 6 day stay on points.

somewhere with cookies and near a Schmoldsmone?

Chase Sapphire Preferred just announced some pretty big changes to their card. For those that have it and/or those that are considering, make sure you read them over.
One of the bigger ones is the end of the 7% dividend annually. Earning the traditional way is still the same of 2 points on travel and 1 on everything else. They did also do away (upcoming) with the extra point (2nd point) on travel when booking through Ultimate Rewards.

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp...ment&jp_cmp=cc/94049/ema/EM03610/Body_image_1

Wow that dividend loss is huge. Mega sheet would not approve

Wow that dividend loss is huge. Mega sheet would not approve

I still think its a top quality card, but I have to say because of the earning setup, unless one is really maximizing the dining options they offer, the Starwood Amex would be a better choice only because of the airline transfer model. Getting that extra 20% on transferring (when you transfer 20k points) to airlines, really makes it work. Plus like the Sapphire card, you can use with most airlines. And it shares loyalty with Delta (relatively speaking).

Still not my top choice for hotel cards, but for overall spend, its a solid option and one that works with just about everything.

Back