New Technology From Mizuno

Wait, wait, wait...Mizuno getting innovative? Hello there.

New putter?

No way they enter the putter market over here in the states, they might as well throw money straight up into the wind.

No way they enter the putter market over here in the states, they might as well throw money straight up into the wind.

I know in the past they have been around my buddy has a couple of Mizuno Putters

I was joking, like maybe Josh was supposed to take this bar to roll balls or something. But I agree with you re: putter market.

I know in the past they have been around my buddy has a couple of Mizuno Putters

The only time they had any REAL attention with putters, is when they had their logo stamped on Bettinardi's, and even then they could gain no traction.

The putter market is just not something you jump into, with the dominance that is Odyssey/SC there is no real foothold to be made there, we've seen it time and time again.

Maybe you're supposed to use it upside your playing partners head, and then take their driver? #newclubseveryround

The only time they had any REAL attention with putters, is when they had their logo stamped on Bettinardi's, and even then they could gain no traction.

The putter market is just not something you jump into, with the dominance that is Odyssey/SC there is no real foothold to be made there, we've seen it time and time again.

maybe that is what he has

the same argument could have made for golfballs a few year back, and I think its worked out ok. When the rest of the overall market is going down, maybe the key to survival is taking share in other markets where they have none?

the same argument could have made for golfballs a few year back, and I think its worked out ok. When the rest of the overall market is going down, maybe the key to survival is taking share in other markets where they have none?

Putters are just not a market you jump into, people are creatures of habit and what they know. It just would not work well, at all.

Mizuno putter vs Odyssey/SC/TM/Nike/PING? Slaughter.

Anywho, the betting man in me says irons anyhow, and honestly I can't wait to see what it is. Innovation from Mizuno piques my interest.

Innovation and Mizuno normally do not appear in the same sentence so I'm definitely interested.

What we do know:
1) The slug is marked GFF BORON.
2) Mizuno's major claim is grain flow forging (which I can't see them ever giving up).
3. The slug appears to be of the same type/size as used in their forging process.

Question for the engineer types; What benefit would there be in adding Boron into the composition of an iron, especially prior to forging?

In their video for the MP15 they talk about kind of getting with the times. The fact that they're claiming the iron to be 40% more forgiving is pretty incredible. I was going to grab a set of 54s this fall but now I'm holding off until I hit the 15s.

It just dawned in me that they've released nothing on the 850 irons. I wonder if the 850s are going to incorporate this technology?

Can't really tell what is in the attached unfocused photo.

A Titanium Ingot for a new iron forging , thats my guess .

Some info on Boron and it's uses in steel.

Boron is useful as an alloying element in many materials, but here it will be illustrated as an alloying element in the steel because of its effect on hardenability enhancement. Boron is added to unalloyed and low alloyed steels to enhance the hardness level through enhancement hardenability. Boron added to high-speed-cut steels, for example, containing 18%W, 4%Cr and 1%V, enhances their cutting performance, but reduces their forging qualities.

Addition of boron in a quantity of up to 0.01% to austenitic steels also improves their high-temperature strength. Boron steels are used as high-quality, heat-treatable constructional steels, steels for carburization and cold forming steels such as steels for screws. The addition of 5 to 50 ppm B to ferritic steels containing 14 to 18% Cr may improve the surface quality of stainless strips by avoiding errors, such as scale, ribbing a roping, and ridging, which otherwise frequently occur in strip production.

The basic effect of boron on in the steel is the enhancement of hardenability, which is evident already at a very small concentration, of the degree of 0.0010% of boron. It is added to unalloyed and low alloyed steels for the hardness level enhancement through the hardenability. Even in the small quantity of the degree of size up to 100 ppm, boron gives the same effect of the hardenability enhancement as other more expensive elements which must be added in much bigger quantity. For example the addition of 30 ppm B in SAE replaces approximately 1%Ni, 0,5%C, 0,2%Mn, 0,12%V, 0,3%Mo or 0,4%Cr.

Some info on Boron and it's uses in steel.

Boron is useful as an alloying element in many materials, but here it will be illustrated as an alloying element in the steel because of its effect on hardenability enhancement. Boron is added to unalloyed and low alloyed steels to enhance the hardness level through enhancement hardenability. Boron added to high-speed-cut steels, for example, containing 18%W, 4%Cr and 1%V, enhances their cutting performance, but reduces their forging qualities.

Addition of boron in a quantity of up to 0.01% to austenitic steels also improves their high-temperature strength. Boron steels are used as high-quality, heat-treatable constructional steels, steels for carburization and cold forming steels such as steels for screws. The addition of 5 to 50 ppm B to ferritic steels containing 14 to 18% Cr may improve the surface quality of stainless strips by avoiding errors, such as scale, ribbing a roping, and ridging, which otherwise frequently occur in strip production.

The basic effect of boron on in the steel is the enhancement of hardenability, which is evident already at a very small concentration, of the degree of 0.0010% of boron. It is added to unalloyed and low alloyed steels for the hardness level enhancement through the hardenability. Even in the small quantity of the degree of size up to 100 ppm, boron gives the same effect of the hardenability enhancement as other more expensive elements which must be added in much bigger quantity. For example the addition of 30 ppm B in SAE replaces approximately 1%Ni, 0,5%C, 0,2%Mn, 0,12%V, 0,3%Mo or 0,4%Cr.

interesting, could they possibly use a softer steel alloy then add a small percentage of boron for durability? I can see that being the only way to incorporate it into the MP line, it still seems like that would go against Mizunos selling point for the MPs as a purist players type of iron. I see this being apart of the JPX line more.

No clue honestly. Maybe a light weight alloy that needs a strengthening property boost? No clue

Being somewhat of a Superman afficianado.... That my friends... is an ingot of pure cryptonite

Interesting little package. Curious to see what Mizuno will do with this Boron.

can't even guess what it could be applied too

So is this the beginning of several packages dropped off to THP, giving little clues along the way to finally have a "big reveal" with the last one?

Could be interesting.

I just did a search of "Mizuno boron" on Google and a Mizuno tennis racket popped-up. It was made of Boron and Kevlar fiber... May just be transferring this technology to golf. Will be interesting to see.

I just did a search of "Mizuno boron" on Google and a Mizuno tennis racket popped-up. It was made of Boron and Kevlar fiber... May just be transferring this technology to golf. Will be interesting to see.

There are some golf results too... I'll leave those out of here though to respect any embargo/leak type stuff.

Ok, who wins the guessing prize?

Back