Cool. What kind of steel did you stamp? Was it hard or soft?

Also, Thanks for merging this thread. My first duplicate in almost 10 years of forum activity.

Im not sure what stamp I used, I only know it as a metal stamp, but it had a very small hitting area.

I wish there was a cap that could go on the end of the stamp so I could trust my hammer skill on a bigger hitting area

Rereading this thread, looks like I got some updating to do!

Ill post my stamped wedges tomorrow after they get back from being reshafted! It was fun to do and I love the custom look

I bought some stamps today and ran home to try it! The problem I am having is that I can not find a flat enough surface to lay the wedge on. I tried an old Vokey wedge and it didn't turn out well. Anyone have any pointers on what to lay the wedge on? Should I use a vice or something different like a carpeted floor?

now i wanna try this lol

I've used my workbench before... Worked fine for me.

Here is an old wedge I had laying around. Figured what the heck I dont really care if I screw it up.

photo.jpg

This looks ridiculous!!! What did you use to keep the head stable? Great Job!

Thanks,

I like to use tape and a block of wood. To me it seems like the club doesn't want to bounce, because the wood absorbs some of the shock. That may be the wrong way to do it, but I am happy with the results.

I ought to try that block of wood thing... It bounces when I lay it on the workbench but still works.

Thanks,

I like to use tape and a block of wood. To me it seems like the club doesn't want to bounce, because the wood absorbs some of the shock. That may be the wrong way to do it, but I am happy with the results.

When I worked in the machine shop at work before moving into management we always used a soft wood like pine to lay metal on when stamping it. As mentioned, it does absorb some of the shock and help you keep the stamp steady so as not to mess up the metal.

When I worked in the machine shop at work before moving into management we always used a soft wood like pine to lay metal on when stamping it. As mentioned, it does absorb some of the shock and help you keep the stamp steady so as not to mess up the metal.

Yea I remembered talking to a blacksmith who told me to do that. For what ever reason always remember that when I was hammering metal. LOL...

I just tried stamping for the first time. 1/8" letter/number kit from amazon, 4"x4" steel block for jewelry making, dead blow hammer. The right tools make all the difference. Use masking tape on both sides of the piece your stamping to keep it from slipping.

I just tried stamping for the first time. 1/8" letter/number kit from amazon, 4"x4" steel block for jewelry making, dead blow hammer. The right tools make all the difference. Use masking tape on both sides of the piece your stamping to keep it from slipping.

Spot on dude.

Anyone stamp irons? Or is it pretty much wedges and putters?

In my putter refinishing work, I've often been asked to stamp things on some putters, and I use the vise pictured below to do this. I have it mounted on my bench with a 8 inch solid wood post running down to the floor to give it a solid base. I use flat peices of lead in the vise to protect the head. As pointed out, the use of masking tape is a must to keep from slips along with good heavy hammer. Quality stamps also make it easier. Ony stamp if it is something you know you will never sell. Value takes a huge hit with stuff stamped on things.

Vise.jpg

Also one of those hammers with the sand in them are awesome for it, the ones that prevent rattling (cant remember for the life of me what theyre called). I cant wait to stamp my wedges.

Snap On makes a good Dead-Blow Hammer. But Snap On is very proud of their stuff.

Would love to try this. At least 4 times in the past 18 months I've played with someone with the exact same wedges I have and had to re-check if we had the correct wedge when leaving a green.

Spot on dude.
Also, don't forget to use vice-grips to hold the stamp. 1st try used a regular hammer and a pair of pliers. BAD choice, Stamp slipped and almost hit me in face. lol

so i thought I would give it a whirl, pretty happy with my 1st attempt

wedgefill1_zpsff2c4ca9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I pity the fool that tries to steal that club!! :mohawk:

:laughing:

Back