Dustin Johnson Suspended For Testing Positive For Cocaine?

The only issue I have is that he should have just come clean (if the coke part of is true) Pretty weak to make that half arsed statement if he was banned.

That leads to a lot of speculation. Last year the basketball team I cover suspended a player indefinitely for (conduct detrimental to the team). I was aware of the reason but couldn't report it. Most of the speculation (including drugs) wasn't even close to the actual cause of the suspension and eventual dismissal.
Colleges are very private about disclosing a suspension of a student and being a student is the exact reason.

I saw a couple of basketball players suspended for games, even for a season. You heard whispers about what it was but never disclosed by a college.

I guess if he is suspended because he tested positive for a banned substance then the suspension only should be made public. But from what they're saying now, if it really is a voluntary leave of absence, it is no ones business. The public can speculate all they want.

PED = violation of the games' rules, so the public has an interest.
Criminal act = public record
Failed non - PED drug test = employment matter that involves a person's medical records. Private.
Sleeping around (especially involving a married person) = personal indiscretion, I don't see how it's the public's business

Dustin Johnson Suspended For Testing Positive For Cocaine?

Colleges are very private about disclosing a suspension of a student and being a student is the exact reason.

I saw a couple of basketball players suspended for games, even for a season. You heard whispers about what it was but never disclosed by a college.

True. They are not paid professional athletes....well at most schools :)

Usually the only time you hear the exact reason is when it has to do with academics or an arrest that becomes public record

Last edited:
PED = violation of the games' rules, so the public has an interest.
Criminal act = public record
Failed non - PED drug test = employment matter that involves a person's medical records. Private.
Sleeping around (especially involving a married person) = personal indiscretion, I don't see how it's the public's business
In this case it is against the rules of the sport. Whether that is viewed as employment or not is a gray area because of the way they are "employed". The banned substances list has both performance enhancing and recreational I am sure.

The only issue I have is that he should have just come clean (if the coke part of is true) Pretty weak to make that half arsed statement if he was banned.
Why is it weak? If a co-worker suddenly announced they are taking a leave of absence do you immediately ask them why? Sure you are concerned about their well being but you probably won't ask because you respect their privacy.

I don't pretend to know Dustin Johnson but I can imagine he might be uncomfortable talking about the situation. Maybe when he comes back, he will be upfront about his problems.

In this case it is against the rules of the sport. Whether that is viewed as employment or not is a gray area because of the way they are "employed". The banned substances list has both performance enhancing and recreational I am sure.

So has anything been confirmed, suspension or voluntary? If suspended for banned substances, they still don't announce what the specific substance was. And again, if it was strictly voluntary it is no ones business.

That leads to a lot of speculation. Last year the basketball team I cover suspended a player indefinitely for (conduct detrimental to the team). I was aware of the reason but couldn't report it. Most of the speculation (including drugs) wasn't even close to the actual cause of the suspension and eventual dismissal.

I would rather have speculation out there than to have it known I'm fighting a cocaine addiction

Public should know? Yes, because we somewhat pay his wages. His prize money partly comes from the attendance @ tournaments doesn't it? Also he put his self out there to sell you products.

Crazy stuff. Hopefully he can take care of the issues and come back better than ever in PGA. Everyone screws up. Lord knows I have.

Public should know? Yes, because we somewhat pay his wages. His prize money partly comes from the attendance @ tournaments doesn't it? Also he put his self out there to sell you products.
I always thought corporate sponsors filled the purse for the tournament. Pretty sure concessions go to the country club or course - not sure about attendance though.

I could be completely wrong on that though.

3 failed drug tests and he only gets a 6 month suspension? That's a joke to me. I hope the guy gets help, but he should be gone longer in my eyes.

EXACTLY! He should've only gotten 2 games, uh, I mean tournaments. Ray Rice has got to be laughing his a$$ off.

Maybe he will be on celebrity rehab????
DR. Drew can fix him up.

JB, thread title correct and actually suspended or are new reports correct and he's not suspended? He'll be gone awhile, I get that, but it'll probably change public perception some depending on what is actually true.

Thread crawl during the WGC Bridgestone today specifically saying he is 'not suspended' but took a 'leave of absence'.

I would rather have speculation out there than to have it known I'm fighting a cocaine addiction

Even if say the speculation included, cheating, gambling and throwing a tournament, think of all his "brain lapse" moments during majors.

Not saying those were out there but in my mind they would be worst than drugs. And hey it's the internet give it time and those things might have been speculated :)

I didn't read this thread but saw on TV PGA didn't suspend him for anything, which is true?

I didn't read this thread but saw on TV PGA didn't suspend him for anything, which is true?
The PGA Tour out out via tweet he has not been suspended. So I guess that's the "official truth"

The PGA Tour out out via tweet he has not been suspended. So I guess that's the "official truth"

"Go to rehab or we will suspend you."

I imagine that is how it kinda went

I always thought corporate sponsors filled the purse for the tournament. Pretty sure concessions go to the country club or course - not sure about attendance though.

I could be completely wrong on that though.

I think its sponsors/tv rights...but why do you think they pay the money they do? It all comes back to the same thing...no fans = no sponsors, no tv contracts

"Go to rehab or we will suspend you."

I imagine that is how it kinda went

That I could see happening, I guess. But the PGA isn't very transparent in their drug testing and reporting like other sports so it's really just a bunch of people guessing what is going on.

you would think with golf becoming an Olympic sport again they would all fall under their drug policy, maybe this is their way of getting him help and warning the others before the testing for the Olympics start?

That I could see happening, I guess. But the PGA isn't very transparent in their drug testing and reporting like other sports so it's really just a bunch of people guessing what is going on.

Si.com reported it from a source. Doesn't make it true. But that is a little more than a rumor I even kind of true.

Who cares. Could only hurt your golf game being that hyped up. I get it, public figure, bad image for the game, but as it doesn't help him and therefore is not cheating it's akin to an alcohol problem. More a personal than a sports story.

Should be interesting to see if he starts the week 6 months is over. Apparently, when he got suspended in 2012, he came back almost exactly 90 days from when he got hurt. That'll be the curious part.

I played with a guy in a charity tournament that played golf with DJ at Coastal Carolina. He said that towards the end of his time there, Dustin's life consisted of 3 things: Golf, Drugs (specifically Marijuana and Cocaine he said), and hookers. I thought he was kidding. I took it with a pinch of salt and just stored it in the back of my head just in case. Today has proved all of that true in my mind. DJ has had a problem for a long time. I hope this is his wake up call and he gets better. If it's not voluntary though, I fear this could be an endless cycle of DJ stories and rumors about drugs and hooking up with other wives. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Back