The PGA Championship - The Forgotten Major?

Whistling Straits did have great weather during August last time it was there

pga-fogjpg-42bc39f0f8689603_large.jpg

Honest question because I don't know the answer because I've never thought about it. I don't remember seeing many Majors, and PGAs specifically, held in the Southwest and Texas. Is that because it's just too hot in August?

Some would say that. Its not for lack of great golf courses. The same with the south east. The idea that a date is kept strictly for those in one state/section of the US is just not accurate. Golf Season is what it is, but the PGA, USGA and R&A all know where they can find money and its not limited to one area.

Honest question because I don't know the answer because I've never thought about it. I don't remember seeing many Majors, and PGAs specifically, held in the Southwest and Texas. Is that because it's just too hot in August?
They have been in the region one time per decade since the 60's - Southern Hills in Tulsa each time except for Dallas way back I've the early 60s. It has been held in the SE region a lot. I am not sure how much heat is really a consideration.

Last edited:
Whistling Straits did have great weather during August last time it was there

pga-fogjpg-42bc39f0f8689603_large.jpg

Yeah that's fog. I'm not sure how that is indicative of bad weather.

Unless its Forest Highlands in Flagstaff, Arizona wouldn't sniff a major championship until at least late October.

I put it fourth on my list of Majors, and not sure why. Its not marketed nearly the same way as the others thats for sure.

For me it's scheduling. It's at the end of the year, courses don't jump out at me like the others do in terms of history & I pay attention only bc it's a major. Especially in a Ryder Cup year, I'm looking past the PGA right now. Like I said I'll tune in bc I love golf, but doesn't conjure up "must see" TV.

I think if you told me today The Players championship was replacing this as the 4th major I would be ok & welcome it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a major late in the year. Could be played at some of the desert/mountain courses out west, which would give the tournament a different feel as well.

MikeG does make a good point - this year it is especially bad what with the Ryder cup coming up, though the tournament is important for that in terms of Ryder cup selections.

It just needs to get pushed back some more. The US Open, Open Championship and PGA are just too close together.

And also, I second the idea of putting some more western locales in the mix. Im tired of Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines being the lone west coast Major destinations. Maybe Chambers Bay for the US Open and TPC Harding Park for the Match play can help with that.

It just needs to get pushed back some more. The US Open, Open Championship and PGA are just too close together.

And also, I second the idea of putting some more western locales in the mix. Im tired of Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines being the lone west coast Major destinations. Maybe Chambers Bay for the US Open and TPC Harding Park for the Match play can help with that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a floating schedule of sorts to accommodate the location.

Didn't Jack win one of his PGAs in Febuary?

Great topic and the thing that really stuck out to me while reading JB's article is that the PGA Championship lacks an identity. Objectively though, I really enjoy the tournament. Fantastic courses and they break away from the traditional rota, exciting finishes and the tour players usually love the set up. And you have cool things they do like letting the public vote on pin placement. So really, it's probably the most accessible and open minded major.

Identity though, is tough to come by. The Masters is obviously grounded in its location and time of year. The US Open is grounded in its playing style and conditions. The Open is likewise grounded in its playing conditions, weather and standard rota of old legendary links courses.

Like others, I think scheduling is a major factor. It comes too close after the Open and this year, the WGC Bridgestone, then there's one week until the playoffs start, so there's a lot of great events packed in there and it's easy for it to get lost in the shuffle. And really, I don't know how you change it. There is the Ryder or Presidential Cup in late fall, so the playoffs have to start at least a month before that. There is probably too big of a gap between the Masters and the US Open, but that's because they let the Players fill that gap. You could put the PGA where the Players is now on the schedule, but you can't host the Players in August due to weather.

So at the end of the day, it's an interesting question and I'm not too sure how to improve it. I wish there was a way for it to be more celebrated, because it is indeed a great golf event.

Great topic and the thing that really stuck out to me while reading JB's article is that the PGA Championship lacks an identity. Objectively though, I really enjoy the tournament. Fantastic courses and they break away from the traditional rota, exciting finishes and the tour players usually love the set up. And you have cool things they do like letting the public vote on pin placement. So really, it's probably the most accessible and open minded major.

Identity though, is tough to come by. The Masters is obviously grounded in its location and time of year. The US Open is grounded in its playing style and conditions. The Open is likewise grounded in its playing conditions, weather and standard rota of old legendary links courses.

Like others, I think scheduling is a major factor. It comes too close after the Open and this year, the WGC Bridgestone, then there's one week until the playoffs start, so there's a lot of great events packed in there and it's easy for it to get lost in the shuffle. And really, I don't know how you change it. There is the Ryder or Presidential Cup in late fall, so the playoffs have to start at least a month before that. There is probably too big of a gap between the Masters and the US Open, but that's because they let the Players fill that gap. You could put the PGA where the Players is now on the schedule, but you can't host the Players in August due to weather.

So at the end of the day, it's an interesting question and I'm not too sure how to improve it. I wish there was a way for it to be more celebrated, because it is indeed a great golf event.

Lacks an identity. You nailed it, that's what I was trying to convey as well. Well said.

It also seems to get lost in the marketing for the FedEx cup finals which, with the playoffs leading up to it, seems more like a major championship than the PGA does. I blame it on marketing and a clear message as to why it's so special that it should be considered a major.

The identity issue could be fixed if they incorporated match play back in the tournament. The issue is this would require either a much smaller field or two weekends to complete play. Politically and monetarily the PGA Tour is not going to sit for the PGA of America taking up two weekends of golf. Smaller field is an obvious no go.

In every other way though the PGA stacks up pretty well. The golf has been pretty good and the drama factor maybe even better than the other majors over the last couple decades.

The courses are excellent. A lot of overlap with US Open tracks.

Non-descript winners? Sometimes. But for every Beem. Brooks, Yang etc. it sure seems there is a corresponding Campbell, Jones, Glover, Hamilton, Curtis & Lawrie on the list for the other championships.

Perception & "marketing hook" aside in my mind the PGA is pretty much the equal of any of the other majors. I will be watching with the same level of interest that I did for the other three this year.

I get more excited for and enjoy watching the Players Championship at Sawgrass far more than the PGA Championship. I also hold the winner of the Players in higher regard usually.

This is a problem that should be rectified. All they have to do is give the PGA Championship some sort of identity. Either make it play really really short or really really long every year. I'm talking 6800 yards or 8500 yards...just something ridiculous to give it the identity it needs. History will slowly start to be built.

I don't think it lacks prestige so much as the others have so much prestige and tradition going for them. By and large I enjoy the play itself more than the US Open because it feels like more players get more chances to play more daring golf, if only because the setup of most of the courses isn't intentionally punishing the way the US Open is, or unique/foreign to many golfers the way links golf is for the Open Championship.

I think it would be cool to move it to the last weekend before the start of the Fed Ex Cup. That way there's drama among both the leaders and players who are on that cut line for both the event and the Fed Ex Cup.

I think it is 'forgotten'.

Yesterday, a buddy of mine, who is an avid golfer, and runs pools for the big PGA tournaments, asked me, "Is the PGA next week?".

I think the only reason it is still a major it is showcase for one of the governing bodies in golf. The Masters is the only one that wasn't originally considered a major for that reason. Arguably The Players championship has more prestige now, without the moniker of being a major.

The Masters and The Players are on iconic courses. The Players also has the strongest and most star studded field withthe highest payout. The British and US Opens always have the potential for a very tough setup and/or conditions that make par a potential winning score. The PGA has is never on a course or setup where a train wreck could happen on a given set of holes. The scores generally reflect the easier courses and setup as well.

The question I have is who decided what the most prestigious tournaments, or majors will be? The LPGA just added another major to their schedule. Other than it being the showcase for the PGA, why can't they drop it for The Players or even The Memorial. Jack always wanted The Memorial to be in the same light as The Masters and Bobby Jones.

Does anyone think this loses even more flair with the Summer Olympics coming in a couple of years?

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Does anyone think this loses even more flair with the Summer Olympics coming in a couple of years?

Oh definitely. I think we'll see a lot of marketing of "golf is back in the Olympics" by the golf media and the scheduling couldn't be worse for the PGA. Wonder if the Olympics will take the top-tier golfers away from the PGA field (depending on when golf is scheduled).

Are people actually excited about Olympics Golf? Unless its a match play format I am going to have to pass.

Are people actually excited about Olympics Golf? Unless its a match play format I am going to have to pass.

I'm excited just because I feel it will have more of a Ryder/Presidents Cup feel which is great for the game. Do you not think golfers will play a little more inspired when it comes to playing for their country?

It seems that the PGA follows so closely the Open and is tucked in before the year ending events that there is no time to build up the excitement. All the other factors are also true in the importance of the other tournaments and the promotion of the Players and the FedEx Cup.

In all honesty, I hope Olympic golf "fails". In general, golf fans watch golf to see the best in the world play. The field for Olympic Golf will be relatively week, compared to a better events on tour.

And, I kind of wonder how players will handle playing "for free". They sure like to grumble, during the RC, when that cash cow didn't line their pockets. And, that also involved "representing your country".

Up to date Olympic Qualifiers. http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/ogr-men/
There is also a link, in the above, to the female qualifiers.

I read the article and just skimmed, so bear with me if my discussions have been had or comments have been said.

But ranking the 4 majors, it's far behind #3, some would even say out of the 4 majors, it's #5 behind the Players. I don't think the courses are a problem, if the courses were any harder, it'd almost be a 2nd US Open. And the US open is America's champion sort-of say. If you were to put it always on a links-style course, it would be the Open, minus the "birthplace of golf" allure. We don't need the 4th major being a copy-cat major of any of the other 3.

I think the main problem with it is timing. The Master's is essentially almost the "un-official" start to the golf season to many. After nearly 2 months of hype building, we get to play the US Open. The Open is going to carry it's own hype no matter when on the schedule you place it, after it is the "birthplace" of the sport. So the short month between the US and British Open doesn't matter much. I think the problem with the PGA Championship is that it comes 3 weeks after the Open, some peoples favorite major. Move the tournament to the end of August, maybe the start of September, you allow the hype to build, allow people to get over their Open hangover, and maybe allow some players time to rest after a big tournament such as the WGC.

Back