TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

$100 upcharge vs .25cent shim? No thanks. Shimming isn't a big deal.

I don't like shims on any thing adds unneed stress to the shaft

I don't like shims on any thing adds unneed stress to the shaft

Can you explain this further? Im genuinely curious here. I have watched this done and seen this used by some of the hardest swingers (approaching 130 swing speed) without much issue.

Can you explain this further? Im genuinely curious here. I have watched this done and seen this used by some of the hardest swingers (approaching 130 swing speed) without much issue.
If done correctly i think it work great but there is a higher chance of making an error because of the a miss alignment in the hozel which puts more pressure on one section of the shaft

Hmm. Maybe I want a 14* now.

If done correctly i think it work great but there is a higher chance of making an error because of the a miss alignment in the hozel which puts more pressure on one section of the shaft
Interesting. Thanks for the response.

I have been really struggling with driver this year which is odd because I haven't been struggling with anything else. The last 2 rounds I only hit my 4-wood off the tee and was hitting it fine, except the face is too shallow. This piqued my interest in the SLDR Mini. I hit a 12 & a 14 degree in regular flex but both were too low and weren't carrying as far as my current 4 wood. They had a 16 degree in their M (or senior) flex. I wanted to hit it to see what it did to my launch angle. Holy crud, I was hitting straight friggin' bombs with this club compared to my 4 wood. I mean straight. A good drive still probably beats it by 20 yards. I'm not sure if the shorter shaft makes the M flex feel a little stouter or what but I had no problems with overpowering the shaft. Plus, the M shaft should have helped me increase my launch angle. Weird, weird sport. If I played it, I would pull my driver and keep my 4-wood in the bag for off the deck at least until I got more time in with the mini as off the deck was hit and miss. What I really want to do is hit the 14 mini in an M shaft and see what my numbers look like.

Received mine yesterday and took it straight out onto the course. I only got to hit it 4 times due to losing light, but my god I loved it. Can't wait to get out on the range later. Feels a bit funny to hit obviously due to the heavier head but what a ball flight!

I would love to see what you would do with that in the bag.

You playing this in a stiff?

I would never attempt to hit this off the deck. I don't even play fairway woods off the deck as am and have been for years a hybrid man of the turf. I have been interested to see how a 16 degree would work for me as a driver replacement.

Last edited:
I would love to see what you would do with that in the bag.

I brought this up to show my dad the other day because he was talking about it. When he looked at it, he said it looked funny to him. Went down and grabbed an old TM driver and it was slightly bigger than his old one. Then asked if I could hit it off the deck. I told him with the times I tried, I had no issues. Others were kind of hit and miss.

TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Mine came in yesterday (14* Stiff 57g shaft) and I played it today. What a club! I have hit the full size SLDR and wasn't impressed. The mini though was a dream. Highly recommended for anyone struggling off the tee.

Last edited:
Mine came in yesterday (14* Stiff 57g shaft) and I played it today. What a club! I have hit the full size SLDR and wasn't impressed. The mini though was a dream. Highly recommended for anyone struggling off the tee.

Nice man, looking forward to more thoughts as you hit it.

I destroyed this one on the range at the MC. Problem is I love my 3w a ton.

But man, this was more fun than I thought it would be.

Nice man, looking forward to more thoughts as you hit it.

I destroyed this one on the range at the MC. Problem is I love my 3w a ton.

But man, this was more fun than I thought it would be.

It is a club that makes you think though about the possibilities

One thing I'm curious about is how far forward you guys play the ball in your stance with this club?

Played my first 9 holes with my 16 degree mini, and man I loved it. Used it off the tee on 3 holes, each time straight down the middle and left me with a perfect 2nd shot.

As far as where i played it in my stance, i'd say about halfway between mid and my left heel.

Got out for 9 yesterday. Really played the first 6 holes straight up, and then with time running low we switched to a scramble. Anyway, the first 6 holes I played, I used this off the tee 3 times. I was 3 for 3 on fairways hit, 3/3 GIR on those holes, and if I could have putted I would have been better than the E that I played those. It was quite nice, the game seemed to come quite easily with it last night. Again, I don't think of this club as a direct driver replacement, just an OS 3W. Sets up nicely for me, and I think at this point it will be in the bag for the remainder of the season.

So am I like the only one playing this in 12°? I see a lot if 14° and 16° but not many 12s

So am I like the only one playing this in 12°? I see a lot if 14° and 16° but not many 12s

I think most "lofted up" to the 14. I'd like to hit the 12 though, could be fun to try.

You are welcome to hit mine the next time we happen to be on the same course.

I play the 12. I think by going with the 12 you pretty much set yourself up for use on the tee only and only the rarest shot on the fairway, whereas with a 14 or 16 I think you still retain some of the fairway playability like a typical 3w.

I think it depends on what you are using it for. I know you replaced your driver with your mini, so I could definitely see a 12° for that. I'm using mine more as a 3 wood replacement, that's why I went with the 16°.

I think if you are replacing a driver 12* is great but i was replacing my 3w so the 14* plays like a strong 3W

Alright people, any updates? I have...some issues....with a couple things as far as wanting this in the bag. But I ponder it a lot after hitting Beags at the MC.

Anyone fall out of love yet? Still enjoying? Thoughts?

The last round I played, I didn't even hit driver. Of course, I mentioned before that if this was a larger 3w for me off the tee, it would play perfectly at my home course and it showed just that. I don't feel like it's any less forgiving than my other 3w options to be quite honest. That's what I compare it against, not a driver. During a real round, I have yet to hit it off the deck. On the range I messed with it, and while War and I played hole 1 on True Blue I hit it off the deck with no problem.

I don't think it's a necessary club. Right now it fits what I need. My tee game has not been as consistent as I liked, and this off the tee keeps me in the short stuff and gives me good distance. I have some golf scheduled for this weekend so we shall see what happens out there.

Back