Indoor Herb Garden

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I am starting a more clean eating lifestyle and with this means a lot more fresh herbs, fruits and veggies. I do not have a place in my yard to grow a garden, so I was thinking about doing an indoor herb garden. Maybe even be able to grow some tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers.

Does anyone have (or had) an indoor herb garden, and if so which one did you have, and how did you like it. Or, did you build one yourself. I have a black thumb, and attempted many years ago to grow my own herbs, but it was a complete disaster. However, I really want to try again, because my grocery bill is out of control, and I would love to be able to grow some of these things myself.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

We tried an indoor one last year but it failed miserably. We did an outdoor one in pots this year and it has been incredible. We have 6 pots on our deck: Cherry Tomato, parsley, mint, Basil, rosemary and thyme

We have a large yard. But I am with you. There are bugs when doing it outside.
I like this idea. Can you grow me some rosemary and other things please?

• Admin
We tried an indoor one last year but it failed miserably. We did an outdoor one in pots this year and it has been incredible. We have 5 pots on our deck: Cherry Tomato, parsley, mint, Basil and something else.

Did you try and make your own indoor one or did you buy one?

• Admin
We have a large yard. But I am with you. There are bugs when doing it outside.
I like this idea. Can you grow me some rosemary and other things please?

Plus we don't have a fence and too many kids running around back there.

The plan is to grow rosemary, parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers. I would love to have all of those right at our fingertips, but not sure if it can be done indoors. You saw what happened the last time I tried.

Here are our pots on the deck

3uvegysy.jpg

Hmm apparently we have 7 pots. Time to go on the deck and see what else we are growing haha.

The plan is to grow rosemary, parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers. I would love to have all of those right at our fingertips, but not sure if it can be done indoors. You saw what happened the last time I tried.

We have the screened in porch that gets light, but would need to be manually watered.

Joe that garden looks great dude.
Outside we have a full sprinkler system.
On the porch, that does not get wet (where we keep the grills and such).

I put mater and pepper plants in the front yard, we have a little landscaping in front of the house, makes a great place to Put the plants

Damn kids, GET OFF MAH LAWN! :alien:

I'm curious to see how this plays out for you and what you come up with. I know Amanda and I have talked at length about doing a garden this next year, sooooooo many good things we could grow to have handy when we want them.

Joe that garden looks great dude.
Outside we have a full sprinkler system.
On the porch, that does not get wet (where we keep the grills and such).

Hmm, well another option you could definitely use that wont get anything else wet in the porch is a soaker hose. You could plant everything in a trough-like planter and then run a soaker hose through it. That way, when the hose turns on, it just drips water into the planter and keeps the rest of the porch dry.

I built two raised 4x8x18" beds, very easy project. One has 4 tomato plants… they get 4-6 feet tall and when they start producing we can't eat them fast enough.

The other bed has 6 different peppers (bells/chiles) and 2 small watermelon plants.

Guys I think she wants to go indoor route and seeing if any people have had success that way.

Guys I think she wants to go indoor route and seeing if any people have had success that way.

Well there is that whole replicating sunlight thing.

First step to determining if you can have an indoor herb garden is to see if you have a window in the house that gets at least 5-6 hours of sun per day. If you don't then growing any herbs indoors will simply not work. Herbs need at least 4-6 hours of sunlight a day.

Also, even though they are inside, you would still need to water them almost daily. With your guys travel schedules, is that possible?

I have a couple herb gardens in and around the house. Tomatoes are a pain so I stopped growing. But I have two different peppers, rosemary, cilantro, basil and oregano. I just started growing elephant garlic and pepper garlic

Plant catnip to keep bugs away or marigolds.

Correct. Like an indoor hydroponic system.

Never tried that route, but even then you need to have sunlight. If you have 4-6 hours of sunlight that the herbs can sit in, it seems like hydroponic is your best bet as far as indoor solutions go since you can pretty much set and forget for a few days at a time RE: Water.

Congrats and making the eating change! I don't have an indoor herb garden but my wife and I do most of our grocery shopping at Whole Foods and I can say I think it tastes just as good as the stuff from a regular grocery store and it makes us feel good knowing we are taking better care of yourself. Best of luck to you sticking to it, its not always easy!

I have no direct light on my indoor herbs and they grow just fine.

Back