Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Review

Morgan Cup wedges have been ordered and I went with a 54° (S-Grind) and a 58° (C-grind) with KBS C-Taper Stiff shafts, bent 2° upright. I liked the idea of keeping the shafts the same from irons to wedges and I think these will perform really nicely for me.

Morgan Cup wedges have been ordered and I went with a 54° (S-Grind) and a 58° (C-grind) with KBS C-Taper Stiff shafts, bent 2° upright. I liked the idea of keeping the shafts the same from irons to wedges and I think these will perform really nicely for me.

What's your reasoning behind the grinds? I play the 58* S, any benefits to the c?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have to say, after my first 2 rounds with these wedges, the grooves are a huge pain to keep clean. They hold everything they touch.

That seems to keep happening mine have been in play for 6 mo and they still have a lot of stuff getting in the groves and staying in there

Great call, Brad. Did you go with Chrome or Slate?

Went with Chrome. They just look too nice!

Andy, it was a recommendation from the fitter, after talking about True Blue and Caledonia, he said the C grind will help get the ball up a bit quicker if you get tucked up beside those 6ft tall bunker walls. If you are comfortable with the 58 in s grind, you will prob be ok, especially after reading the homepage review on this

I recently tried these babies, I really enjoyed them. Great soft feel and distance and direction were spot on. I am eyeing the forged version at the moment. Only problem they are harder to find. Search will continue

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Went with Chrome. They just look too nice!

Andy, it was a recommendation from the fitter, after talking about True Blue and Caledonia, he said the C grind will help get the ball up a bit quicker if you get tucked up beside those 6ft tall bunker walls. If you are comfortable with the 58 in s grind, you will prob be ok, especially after reading the homepage review on this

Thanks Brad, I'm gonna check out the C grind for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I haven't given these wedges the proper love on this thread. They are a big reason why I'm playing the best golf of my life. I really simplified my short game approach by reading Unconscious Scoring by Dave Stockton and it has really allowed these wedges to shine. I am getting up and down at incredible rates and my bunker play has never been better.

When I shot a personal best -1 on the back 9 on Sunday, I missed the green on my approach at 18. It left me a downhill pitch shot with about 5 yards of rough and 70 ft of green to work with. I picked my spot on the green, pulled the 55 with great confidence, and made a confident play at the ball. The club reacted perfectly with the rough and the ball, the ball reacted with the green exactly how visualized pre-shot, and it left me with a 1-foot tap in for par.

I haven't given these wedges the proper love on this thread. They are a big reason why I'm playing the best golf of my life. I really simplified my short game approach by reading Unconscious Scoring by Dave Stockton and it has really allowed these wedges to shine. I am getting up and down at incredible rates and my bunker play has never been better.

When I shot a personal best -1 on the back 9 on Sunday, I missed the green on my approach at 18. It left me a downhill pitch shot with about 5 yards of rough and 70 ft of green to work with. I picked my spot on the green, pulled the 55 with great confidence, and made a confident play at the ball. The club reacted perfectly with the rough and the ball, the ball reacted with the green exactly how visualized pre-shot, and it left me with a 1-foot tap in for par.

Amen brother. My 60* is by far my favorite club. Has saved me a bunch of strokes

Still love my Mack daddy 2 wedges. Wearing well. They are right in line with sm4 and 588 in terms of quality. I'm really impressed with how well these have lasted me. Better than most wedges I've had in the past few years.

Got a small scoop on an addition to this line today that may be solving a problem I'm having with my wedge right now. A few months out is a tour grind for higher lofted wedges, very similar to the C grind but with less initial bounce and a thinner sole, less rounding on the leading edge too. Reps didn't know exactly what date, but guessed somewhere around Father's Day release for it. This will definitely help with the versatility of my SW around the greens. Anyone else's interest piqued by this? MCers, do you think you could have use for this?

Got a small scoop on an addition to this line today that may be solving a problem I'm having with my wedge right now. A few months out is a tour grind for higher lofted wedges, very similar to the C grind but with less initial bounce and a thinner sole, less rounding on the leading edge too. Reps didn't know exactly what date, but guessed somewhere around Father's Day release for it. This will definitely help with the versatility of my SW around the greens. Anyone else's interest piqued by this? MCers, do you think you could have use for this?

I like the idea of the less rounded leading edge and less initial bounce!

Sorry for the skim but what does each grind mean? I don't know much about wedges but like the looks of these and might get some while on holiday but I have know idea which grind is best for me. Thanks.

I hope this solved the issue I've had. I tried to get along with these, but each shot was fat. Maybe too much bounce for my normal turf conditions or to thick of a sole, but really intrigued by this news.

I hope this solved the issue I've had. I tried to get along with these, but each shot was fat. Maybe too much bounce for my normal turf conditions or to thick of a sole, but really intrigued by this news.

Tyler, correct me if I'm thinking opposite of what you're saying, but a "fat" shot implies too much turf/hit behind the ball, whereas "thin/blade" implies no turf hit... If you have too much bounce, as shown in an article in this month's Golf Magazine, one would tend to blade the ball. Too little bounce leads to digging in to turf and, thus, fat shots. So, less bounce would result in more "fat" shots. Anyway, you may mean something different than I'm guessing when you say fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler, correct me if I'm thinking opposite of what you're saying, but a "fat" shot implies too much turf/hit behind the ball, whereas "thin/blade" implies no turf hit... If you have too much bounce, as shown in an article in this month's Golf Magazine, one would tend to blade the ball. Too little bounce leads to digging in to turf and, thus, fat shots. So, less bounce would result in more "fat" shots. Anyway, you may mean something different than I'm guessing when you say fat.

That was Mike that was saying that. I can hit any wedge fat no matter what the bounce, it's all about execution for me. There's quite a few threads on wedge bounce on here, so this may not be the place to discuss it. However, I am more concerned with the effects of the grind when opening up the face as I have a 56/14 S grind now and opening up the face leads to a lot of thin shots because I can't get under the ball due to so much bounce.

Sorry for the skim but what does each grind mean? I don't know much about wedges but like the looks of these and might get some while on holiday but I have know idea which grind is best for me. Thanks.

From the front page preview here on THP.

Custom Sole Grinds
• C –Grind
* Relief is ground out of the heel and toe, which enables golfers to lay the face open while effectively reducing the bounce angle. This allows for proper contact and maximum spin and control.
• U Grind
* Inspired by short game wizard Phil Mickelson. This grind increases the dynamic bounce angle (actual bounce of the club when the ball is struck) without increasing the static bounce angle.

S Grind is just standard grind and, from what I heard, Tour (T, maybe) grind will be similar to C grind with less bounce, sharper leading edge, and thinner sole.

Yep, Mike responding to you. Sheesh. Just saw TPluff. My bad.

I think it's appropriate to discuss grind and correct misconceptions here as it's a direct reference to bounce and grind options in this series of wedges.

Yep, Mike responding to you. Sheesh. Just saw TPluff. My bad.

I think it's appropriate to discuss grind and correct misconceptions here as it's a direct reference to bounce and grind options in this series of wedges.

"fat" might have been a bad description. My pint was more that the MD2's in relation to my SM4's had me digging more than normal. I have a steep or digger swing with my wedges and while I loved the looks and set up of the MD2's, I was taking more turf than usual which resulted in less than desired results.

S Grind is just standard grind and, from what I heard, Tour (T, maybe) grind will be similar to C grind with less bounce, sharper leading edge, and thinner sole.

That is the same i have heard plus it will be out in june

Has anyone changed from jaws to the md2, what are the big plusses and minusses

Has anyone changed from jaws to the md2, what are the big plusses and minusses

I have done it. Loved both clubs, I may have a little better touch with my md2 but get more spin on my jaws

I have the 52/58 jaws combo but after getting the apex pro irons PW to 52 is now a bigger gap ? Will these close the gap

I have the 52/58 jaws combo but after getting the apex pro irons PW to 52 is now a bigger gap ? Will these close the gap

Hey Scott, sorry this got missed! It'll just depend on what lofts you pick up, you could go 50* and yes it would, you could also have your Jaws bent to fill the gap better if need be (but would lose bounce for each degree). The nice thing about wedge releases now is that most have a solid gap wedge loft in there to account for where PW lofts are in most sets.

Decided to sand off the slate finish of my 55 and 60 this evening. Love how they turned out

buzu8a9u.jpg

a6y6yje4.jpg

And love how they match my Apex Pros now

dy6uva6y.jpg

Back