Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Unlike both of you, these aren't leaving my bag anytime soon. I absolutely love them.

I love mine as well. I have been in no way pondering replacing them up until the Morgan Cup. The J40s deserve a shot to be put in the bag.

I'm getting my Apex irons in later this week, then off to the club builder to pull the shafts that are in them now and get PXi shafts put in. Hoping that process is speedy, want to have them ready to go by mid-August so I can have an Apex vs. DPC battle in the last few months of my golfing season up here.
I'm interested in what you think between the two. I noticed the head weight difference that took a bit to get used to. Other than that, it's been a pretty seamless transition.

Whats been the issue?
Well, I may have to retract that statement after today.

So initially when i got them i played probably 3-4 rounds and i just was not striking the ball well. Wasn't the clubs fault, but I thought maybe i bit off more than i could chew and probably hit the floor on excitement for them last night. Just was clunking everything, and hit about 120 balls at the DR yesterday (trying to get a good feel) and ended up hitting 5 well. I presumed it was probably my brain messing with me moving to Steel shafts (as I've actually written before) and told myself to stop trying to justify to myself on why i need Stiff shafts. I said that and still clunked them. Then last night i watched the Firestone classic and saw the guys taking shorter "easier" swings. So i went to play a round with this with the motto of shortening my swing up and get some nice contact. Wow; just wow. My score wasn't great per say because of a few errant drives but then I hit the back 9 and hit my first Eagle.

Now that i've shortened up my backswing a lot i'm hitting these guys very well. On 16 I had a 470 par 5, I hit my driver a little high (about 250) and pull out the 4 iron from 220 out. Hit hit perfect and it goes straight as an arrow; about 5 ft from the cup. Didn't tense up for the putt and nailed it. Anyway, i pretty much redact any negative thing i said since this was pretty much all me.

Also to be fair, I got a Zepp and that thing had my head spinning LOL.

Wow, glad to hear it! Amazing what a swing fix can do for you sometimes. :D

Honestly, the long irons in the Apex set are just incredible. I'm dead serious in that I hit my 5i more reliably than my 8i. I never thought I'd say that - ever. My set is 5-PW, and I just ordered the AW today (can't wait for that!). Now I'm pondering the 4i too!

Honestly, the long irons in the Apex set are just incredible. I'm dead serious in that I hit my 5i more reliably than my 8i. I never thought I'd say that - ever. My set is 5-PW, and I just ordered the AW today (can't wait for that!). Now I'm pondering the 4i too!
i LOVE the 4i and i've never loved a 4i before. Those weights in the 5 and up are pretty nice.

Well, I may have to retract that statement after today.

So initially when i got them i played probably 3-4 rounds and i just was not striking the ball well. Wasn't the clubs fault, but I thought maybe i bit off more than i could chew and probably hit the floor on excitement for them last night. Just was clunking everything, and hit about 120 balls at the DR yesterday (trying to get a good feel) and ended up hitting 5 well. I presumed it was probably my brain messing with me moving to Steel shafts (as I've actually written before) and told myself to stop trying to justify to myself on why i need Stiff shafts. I said that and still clunked them. Then last night i watched the Firestone classic and saw the guys taking shorter "easier" swings. So i went to play a round with this with the motto of shortening my swing up and get some nice contact. Wow; just wow. My score wasn't great per say because of a few errant drives but then I hit the back 9 and hit my first Eagle.

Now that i've shortened up my backswing a lot i'm hitting these guys very well. On 16 I had a 470 par 5, I hit my driver a little high (about 250) and pull out the 4 iron from 220 out. Hit hit perfect and it goes straight as an arrow; about 5 ft from the cup. Didn't tense up for the putt and nailed it. Anyway, i pretty much redact any negative thing i said since this was pretty much all me.

Also to be fair, I got a Zepp and that thing had my head spinning LOL.

great to hear, for me as well i have found a swing thought along with what i think is a half swing (really a nice full turn 3/4) has worked for me the last two range sessions. I needed to slow things down just a bit on my back swing and let my body and balance catch up per-say. My swing thought is "waaaait for it"

Definitely one of the better 4 irons I have hit, not quite as simple as the 4 altitude but its way better than most

I continue to love these irons, only 3 weeks in but I'm mad at myself for not getting them sooner. They are just perfect in every way for me, weighting, top line, feel. I can't see how they can improve upon them.

My set of recoil 95 F4 came in yesterday. They'll be installed this weekend and with any luck, playable on sunday for quick 18 trial run.

My set of recoil 95 F4 came in yesterday. They'll be installed this weekend and with any luck, playable on sunday for quick 18 trial run.

What shafts did you have in them originally?

I'm interested in what you think between the two. I noticed the head weight difference that took a bit to get used to. Other than that, it's been a pretty seamless transition.

What was that difference specifically?

What shafts did you have in them originally?

First had the 660 F4 then recently the 95F3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been smashing my 3i now that I found the sweet spot. The Apex are fabulous.

Six in one and a half dozen in the other.

These fit the bill more as they just launch more with what I'm used to and I'm actually a tad longer each club with them around here because of it.

Will take both sets out for sure, but the Apex earn the title, "gamers" right now.

Hit a shot under a tree after a snap hook with my driver today. Was 205 yards out on the par 4. Grabbed the 5i and had a nice warm up swing. Took the real thing w the hips into it; perfectly straight 3ft from the cup. Got an applause from the guys Waiting for me to get off their rough at the tee and a high five from the guys I was paired with (stranger). <3

I was also asked by my partner to hit them after he saw me basting the 4i about 225. I'm really really finding a hard time time to justify pulling y driver, 3w and 1hy now.

1 round and 3 practices later and these are just the best feeling, performing irons I have ever owned. These are in the bag for a while for sure.

Then last night i watched the Firestone classic and saw the guys taking shorter "easier" swings. So i went to play a round with this with the motto of shortening my swing up and get some nice contact.

Now that i've shortened up my backswing a lot i'm hitting these guys very well.

Funny I just read this, exactly what I'm working on keeping the backswing shorter, the only thing I have to be wary of is rushing the transition to downswing when I do it. Works wonders.

Then last night i watched the Firestone classic and saw the guys taking shorter "easier" swings. So i went to play a round with this with the motto of shortening my swing up and get some nice contact.

Funny I just read this, exactly what I'm working on keeping the backswing shorter, the only thing I have to be wary of is rushing the transition to downswing when I do it. Works wonders.

Its amazing how that works, right? Silly game, I fall into the same pitfalls of letting my swing get too long.

80% swing is where it's at dude. I know most people want to step on it and hammer the ball, but for me, taking a smooth tempo-focused swing typically gives me the best results.

80% swing is where it's at dude. I know most people want to step on it and hammer the ball, but for me, taking a smooth tempo-focused swing typically gives me the best results.
My swing tempo is slow and smooth. I just tend to get to long on backswing. Just need to keep it there. That's the key.

My swing tempo is slow and smooth. I just tend to get to long on backswing. Just need to keep it there. That's the key.

Yeah man, I found with my Apex irons (Tour V shafts in them) that the tempo is the key for me to get the best result I can.

Yeah man, I found with my Apex irons (Tour V shafts in them) that the tempo is the key for me to get the best result I can.
Glad I found it tonight. Have a 3rd round match tomorrow morning for our season long match play event and I'm giving 7 pops. Need it to carry over.

You ain't lying. Night and day from when i was trying t crush it versus just hitting a smooth swing.

The first thing I learned taking lessons is "whatever you think is your 3/4 swing, is really your full swing". This helped me with my woods & irons tremendously. When I get out of whack I think "3/4" swing and the results are amazing

Back