The Official Tiger Woods Thread

ESPN is running the Tiger Tracker for the practice round.

I just think sports wise... golf is the biggest in needing Tiger Woods. To me, something similar would be if baseball just only talked about Derek Jeter. Every other sport has moved on from that for the most part. Sure, locally in NYC, Jeter is IT! But nationally, he doesn't get anywhere near the pub as Tiger does in golf.

Similar to LaBron driving the NBA coverage....way more than any player from San Antonio....even though they won the title.

I still don't see any story right now that is bigger than the sports biggest star showing up after withdrawing the Sunday before with a back injury. Just because Tiger is getting the majority of press coverage, doesn't mean he's the only player being talked about. Rory has been talked about extensively, same with Phil. There have been stories about Adam Scott and his mindset regarding losing World #1, and stories about Ricky Fowler's year of top 5 finishes in majors.

Someone is always going to be the main focus at an event, and Tiger is usually that person for golf. The same thing happens in every other sport, basketball is LeBron James, baseball last year was Alex Rodriguez, football last year was Peyton Manning. And I don't think it's just lazy reporting. It's reporting on what the majority of fans want to hear about. Honestly just look at this thread here, there are 480+ pages. How many pages are there for other golfers being discussed on these forums?

I understand that people get tired of hearing about him, I honestly do. I just think sometimes if people were to take a step back and look at the big picture here, what he is doing could be history in the making, and like him or not, that is pretty darn cool if you ask me.

This is the sort of self-fulfilling prophecy that's driving golf publicity and journalism. When he's the golfer writers write about, he sits at the forefront of the reader's golf consciousness...which means he's the golfer they want to hear about. The journalists who write about Tiger, particularly those who get inside info because of their relationship with the Woods organization, are regarded as good golf writers because they generate more and better click-bait. But the fact is, they're not necessarily good golf writers, they're good Tiger Woods writers. Back in the day, good writers found the lesser-known story about lesser-known golfers and crafted some narrative that would make instant heroes, and that's just not something that happens anymore. I don't necessarily blame Woods, or even blame the writers, honestly. They're all doing what works. I just don't think it's good for golf at this point.

It's a remarkable recovery in 3 short days

According to Twitter, he was having back spasms on Sunday, and they went away after therapy and there is no more pain...and oh yeah, he expects to win this week :act-up:

According to Twitter, he was having back spasms on Sunday, and they went away after therapy and there is no more pain...and oh yeah, he expects to win this week :act-up:

If it was just back spasms I can see that - I get taken out from them at least once a month, damn near in the fetal position they get so severe.

This is the sort of self-fulfilling prophecy that's driving golf publicity and journalism. When he's the golfer writers write about, he sits at the forefront of the reader's golf consciousness...which means he's the golfer they want to hear about. The journalists who write about Tiger, particularly those who get inside info because of their relationship with the Woods organization, are regarded as good golf writers because they generate more and better click-bait. But the fact is, they're not necessarily good golf writers, they're good Tiger Woods writers. Back in the day, good writers found the lesser-known story about lesser-known golfers and crafted some narrative that would make instant heroes, and that's just not something that happens anymore. I don't necessarily blame Woods, or even blame the writers, honestly. They're all doing what works. I just don't think it's good for golf at this point.

So you don't think that what Tiger has accomplished during his career has any part in the fact that people want to hear about him? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but to me it reads like you are saying that it's only journalism that sparks interest in professional athletes. I'd argue pretty heavily that it's the other way around.

Just saw on ESPN bottom line that Tiger is playing in the PGA.

Understood... its all a dollars thing. He generates the most, so media has to follow that.

At this point I don't think it's a money thing. It's about kissing the ring and being in his favor if he wins. It's also a CYA moment. Everyone body commented when he was hitting balls. Not one person anything out of turn.

My :two-cents:

1. I was dang interested in whether Tiger was going to play, and glad for any coverage of the story;

2. I got back spasms once from leaning into my car to put the leash on my small dog's collar, so bad I writhed on the floor in intense pain for 6 hours, totally unable to straighten at the waist - and two days later I was playing golf and shot under par. Back spasms can come in a minute, and then not show up again for years until exactly the wrong movement makes them erupt. I always figured there was a good chance Tiger could play this week, and a good chance he will have no back issues, especially if he is sensible about the shot he selects from the one totally weird lie he may get this week.

He's in it for the Major's now. I think we'll see him have even fewer tournaments, and focus on the Majors mostly moving forward. There is nothing wrong with that in my book. He wants to pass Jack, and now he's going to have to be even more picky with his back being what it is. I'll say this, we all have seen him from day 1 until now, and it will be one of those things I'll tell my grandkids one day. That I saw the end of Jack's career and all of Tiger's, and that's a cool thing to say. The two best golfers to ever play the game...so far.

It's a remarkable recovery in 3 short days

I'll say it...very suspect... I get it that he may have pulled out to avoid a worse injury -- whether that injury be physical or mental (or both), but I would not be surprised to see him quit mid-tourney due to continued pains, especially if he starts off terrible. Obviously the man has earned the right to play any event he so desires and I'm not saying he's ever faked an injury, but at some point people are going to liken him to the boy that cries wolf...if they haven't already.

I'll say it...very suspect... I get it that he may have pulled out to avoid a worse injury -- whether that injury be physical or mental (or both), but I would not be surprised to see him quit mid-tourney due to continued pains, especially if he starts off terrible. Obviously the man has earned the right to play any event he so desires and I'm not saying he's ever faked an injury, but at some point people are going to liken him to the boy that cries wolf...if they haven't already.
He explained how it wasn't related to the surgery, he jarred his SI joint after landing on one foot coming out of the bunker. They brought on that doctor to the live coverage earlier (the one that's always on golf channel) and he said the SI joint is very commonly affected with golfers and could be fixed very easily and quickly. Now I don't know for certain if he did or didn't do anything but that's the story.

I'll say this, we all have seen him from day 1 until now, and it will be one of those things I'll tell my grandkids one day. That I saw the end of Jack's career and all of Tiger's, and that's a cool thing to say. The two best golfers to ever play the game...so far.

This statement makes me wonder if we are also simultaneously seeing the beginning of the next "great ones" career... if we are wouldn't we have to think that one is Rory based on what he's accomplished so far? Or is Spieth on the verge of a breakthrough that will cause him to start putting up Tiger esque numbers in the next year? Or is there nobody playing on tour right now with the potential to be the next Jack/Tiger phenom, and will we ever see another one in our lifetimes?

So you don't think that what Tiger has accomplished during his career has any part in the fact that people want to hear about him? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but to me it reads like you are saying that it's only journalism that sparks interest in professional athletes. I'd argue pretty heavily that it's the other way around.

It's not just journalism, but the media as a whole. They're covering what they say people want to see covered, but that's after years of only covering one person in golf. I'm always a bit wary of media that beats one topic into the ground and then continues to do so with the justification that it's what people are talking about.

It's not just journalism, but the media as a whole. They're covering what they say people want to see covered, but that's after years of only covering one person in golf. I'm always a bit wary of media that beats one topic into the ground and then continues to do so with the justification that it's what people are talking about.

While I understand what you are saying, I think it's pretty obvious what a lot of golf fans want to talk/hear about. Watch golf on television or go to an event in which Tiger is playing. Look at the size of the galleries following Tiger compared to the galleries following other golfers. This isn't a media based phenomenon. Tiger is just that popular with regards to golf. Whether it's people who love him, are indifferent about him, or hate him, they all talk about him and follow what he does. I think it's short-sighted to claim it's all media based. When a player puts up the stats that Tiger has done throughout his career he is going to generate interest with or without the media.

While I understand what you are saying, I think it's pretty obvious what a lot of golf fans want to talk/hear about. Watch golf on television or go to an event in which Tiger is playing. Look at the size of the galleries following Tiger compared to the galleries following other golfers. This isn't a media based phenomenon. Tiger is just that popular with regards to golf. Whether it's people who love him, are indifferent about him, or hate him, they all talk about him and follow what he does. I think it's short-sighted to claim it's all media based. When a player puts up the stats that Tiger has done throughout his career he is going to generate interest with or without the media.

I always thought the media was supposed to report the news overall. Wouldnt it stink if during the MLB recap, we only got to see highlights of the Yankees?

I always thought the media was supposed to report the news overall. Wouldnt it stink if during the MLB recap, we only got to see highlights of the Yankees?

Nope...

I still don't think that he was near as injured as he let on when he left the course...somebody get this guy an Oscar. Nobody goes from barely being able to walk, bend over, or even sit down to swinging a club at 115mph 3 days later.

I guess we just see things differently with how the media reports on golf.

What a miraculous recovery. Good for tigger!

:alien:

Tiger's back is this years version of Rory's equipment...it could be a contributing factor to his poor play but the player's swing is the big issue. I kind of wish Tiger would take more time to work through his swing issues.

I still don't think that he was near as injured as he let on when he left the course...somebody get this guy an Oscar. Nobody goes from barely being able to walk, bend over, or even sit down to swinging a club at 115mph 3 days later.
That's not true tho according to the doctor they interviewed. He said with the SI injury it could very well be that way

I guess he has magical healed or he was so frustrated on sunday he just gave up

I'm not defending his every move I'm simply repeating what they showed on TV earlier. I have no clue if he was faking or not Lol

Back