2014 Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what happens if someone gets hurt during Ryder Cup?

Obviously you can't finish out an Alt Shot Match with only one guy, so guessing you have to forfeit that point. You could finish out the Best Ball with the one guy always being the best ball. For the other rounds, you could rotate the injured guy to the bench until singles. Do you get to put in an alternate for the singles round or do you forfeit that point?

Also, IMO the Ryder Cup needs to do pairings like the President's Cup with the Captains sitting together. It irks me that the match ups are blind. You usually end up disappointed and not getting the marquee match up everyone wants.

So what happens if someone gets hurt during Ryder Cup?

Obviously you can't finish out an Alt Shot Match with only one guy, so guessing you have to forfeit that point. You could finish out the Best Ball with the one guy always being the best ball. For the other rounds, you could rotate the injured guy to the bench until singles. Do you get to put in an alternate for the singles round or do you forfeit that point?

Also, IMO the Ryder Cup needs to do pairings like the President's Cup with the Captains sitting together. It irks me that the match ups are blind. You usually end up disappointed and not getting the marquee match up everyone wants.

Thought I heard them talking about it yesterday on Morning Drive that if Tiger was to start, but then have to stop that Stricker could jump in and play?

I don't know the rule, but that was the conversation.

Oh no.

Oh no.

Booooooooo. I'm not saying every pick has to be one that everyone would pick, but Tiger has shown zero signs of a solid golfing weekend this year.

~Rock

Oh no.

Well, so do I. Don't think he'll pick me, though.
I can't see it happening. He's not playing well, and he certainly seems to be hurting. It'll be a heck of a story for the announcers, though.

I think we can pretty much bank on a Rory/Rickie Sunday singles matchup now.

Also I'm sure we'll see Rory/Sergio vs Rickie/Phil a couple times as well.

I sure hope so, as those would both be great matches.

I got this text a little while ago:

ESPN - Captain Tom Watson says Tiger Woods not being ruled out for U.S. Ryder Cup team: "He is Tiger Woods"

If he picks him because "he is tiger woods" I won't watch. Tiger better come back and play well and prove he is healthy before being picked or I will lose much respect for Tom Watson.

Aren't we at PGA National during the Ryder Cup? Then I guess I will watch, lol.

I have always rooted for Tiger, always. After his first round at the PGA it was dumb of him to say if he could get back to just a little under par or even par after his second round then he could be in striking distance because he thought the scores would go up. He does not fully realize how good the competition is and certainly should not be picked for the Ryder Cup. I would think that there will be some mutual statement from captain Watson and Tiger or his camp that he is out of the mix due to unresolved physical condition concerns.

ESPN - Captain Tom Watson says Tiger Woods not being ruled out for U.S. Ryder Cup team: "He is Tiger Woods"

If he picks him because "he is tiger woods" I won't watch. Tiger better come back and play well and prove he is healthy before being picked or I will lose much respect for Tom Watson.

Aren't we at PGA National during the Ryder Cup? Then I guess I will watch, lol.

Yes we are. This would make great 19th hole discussion.

Maybe. It's all a blind draw. No one, not even the captains, know what the match ups will be.

Hence why I think they should do it like the President's Cup.

Maybe. It's all a blind draw. No one, not even the captains, know what the match ups will be.

Hence why I think they should do it like the President's Cup.

Yeah I know. But it seems like most times the captains are on the same page in thinking. Sometimes that works out where you get the Marquis matchup. And sometimes Tiger gets the sacrificial lamb. Ha

Yeah I know. But it seems like most times the captains are on the same page in thinking. Sometimes that works out where you get the Marquis matchup. And sometimes Tiger gets the sacrificial lamb. Ha

Well, in fairness.....if Tiger makes the team he's the sacrificial lamb for the US squad.

If Watson caves and picks a clearly injured and a clearly in bad form Tiger... I will be severely disappointed. He's not just injured, he sucks right now. He's lost his swing. That would be a really bad move.

I don't get it. The USA is 1-5 with Tiger participating. The one time in the recent past he didn't play, the USA stomped the Euros. His personal match record in the Ryder Cup is not good at all. Tiger is hurt and has been in obvious discomfort during several rounds, and had to withdraw at least twice due to his back. He can't hit the driver at all. He can't putt. He is playing terrible and is being beaten by 60-year olds. There is not a single relevant factor that I can see that favors him. Picking him would be just insane. If they pick him based on who he was, they should also pick Jack and Arnie.

Tom is in a tough spot.

If he doesn't pick Tiger and the US stinks it up... people will crucify him.
If he does pick Tiger and Tiger stinks it up... people will crucify him.

It is a long shot for the US to win, so I guess it all does not matter if the US wins.

I think Tom is much more at risk if he picks Tiger and the US loses (unless Tiger plays great). I think most rational people who follow golf appreciate how poorly Tiger has been playing and that he is hurt. I always thought Tom was an intelligent guy who didn't readily bow to "political" pressure and such. Maybe this is all just designed to keep up fan interest or stay in Tiger's (and the network's) good graces.

Well, in fairness.....if Tiger makes the team he's the sacrificial lamb for the US squad.
HA...no doubt. I meant in years past when he might have been matched up against Thomas Levet or Nicholas Faisth or someone like that, more so than now.

As I posted in a thread over the weekend, Thomas Boswell wrote in the Washington Post if Tom Watson picks Woods for the team, it could be considered an act of Treason or Sabotage...LOL!!

Last edited:
As the points standings are closed and the 9 automatic qualifiers are known in the US, my picks would be:
Moore
Bradley
Mahan or Simpson (since Dufner is injured, otherwise he'd be a lock)

too soon for the Euro team...current standings looks like a solid team though - and if Paul picks Donald, Poulter and Westy (or Jimenez), it'll be even better...

I was watching the 2012 Ryder Cup on GC last night (where the US got slaughtered on Sunday, boo at GC for 'making' me relive that awful moment). And I was thinking, 'wow, this year, we are going to have some new blood, some new talent in here. Europe is strong, but never underestimate an untested team.' Then I hear comments that Tiger is going to be picked, and I find myself wondering 'wow, who is writing the check for this one.'

I'm not a Tiger hater, he just isn't playing well, and has gimped through the season from one injury to another. Maybe they should pick Dufner while they're at it. I hope Tiger comes back, it would be the best thing for the game of golf. But choosing him would be like the old school college football 'bowl' system choosing Iowa for the national championship a 3 or 4 years ago. Because hey, Iowa was undefeated when Stanzi wasn't injured (but they lost two games when he was injured).

Sorry, I understand there is leeway with Captain's picks, but it shouldn't allow someone to go crazy.

~Rock

I was wondering how much past match play success (not just Ryder Cup) will factor in to the final picks. If Kuchar is healthy, weren't he and Woodland a really successful tandem?

Euro's are so stacked it's not even fair. Poulter, GMac, Westwood and/or Donald as your captains picks. LOL, yes please!

I definitely wouldnt want to be in watson's shoes. I think his hands are tied. Tiger should do the honorable thing and decline or take himself out of the running. He is just not healthy and not playing well at all. I understand he wants to compete, but why put the team in jeopardy for your own selfish reasons.

Euro's are so stacked it's not even fair. Poulter, GMac, Westwood and/or Donald as your captains picks. LOL, yes please!
I don't like the American's chances, that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back