Srixon Z 545 & Z 745 Driver Preview

So ya I am very intrigued by this one, but I doubt we see it come in LH. Srixon makes some seriously gorgeous looking equipment, and if it does somehow come in LH I will be giving it a hit

Of the clubs in my MC bag, this is the one that I actually took to the quickest. I hit probably 3-4 shots with it on the range before getting to take it out on the course (these were being frantically unwrapped by GolferGal as we were eating lunch, as they had just come from FedEx). I love the look down at address - the all black head and shaft are a great combination.

I'm not sure it's a low spin head in the sense that the SLDR or i25 is, but it's definitely lower spin that some of the drivers I'd compare it to - I'm getting similar carry, with more rollout than I do with my Big Bertha driver. Though, I would say that there's a (small) drop in forgiveness from the Bertha to the 545. I've found myself losing the ball right a bit more than I'd like, so I'm going to give it a shot at 10.5 and square tonight, to see if that helps. Center strikes feel better than any driver I've played, and the sound on these is absolutely great. Like Hawk, the feel of the KK black is something I like, and I think for my swing, it's a good fit for this driver.

This Driver is absolute money. I didn't think anything could take the G20 out of the bag but this will be a serious contender.

I have the G25 and haven't been able to find a driver that I would be willing to replace it with but sounds like the 545 might be it.

Of the clubs in my MC bag, this is the one that I actually took to the quickest. I hit probably 3-4 shots with it on the range before getting to take it out on the course (these were being frantically unwrapped by GolferGal as we were eating lunch, as they had just come from FedEx). I love the look down at address - the all black head and shaft are a great combination.

I'm not sure it's a low spin head in the sense that the SLDR or i25 is, but it's definitely lower spin that some of the drivers I'd compare it to - I'm getting similar carry, with more rollout than I do with my Big Bertha driver. Though, I would say that there's a (small) drop in forgiveness from the Bertha to the 545. I've found myself losing the ball right a bit more than I'd like, so I'm going to give it a shot at 10.5 and square tonight, to see if that helps. Center strikes feel better than any driver I've played, and the sound on these is absolutely great. Like Hawk, the feel of the KK black is something I like, and I think for my swing, it's a good fit for this driver.

Yea I think I'd agree with you there. A bit less forgiveness and spin, but an improvment over the last couple Cleveland adjustable drivers.

You destroyed us with this driver. It was brutal lol.

I like the 545 driver. More than I expected to for a couple reasons I'll detail later.

I've been saying for awhile now that I felt like CGSrixon needed to put out what I'd call a middle of the road adjustable driver and they seem to have delivered here. What I mean by that is that last year they (Cleveland) had what I'd call two extremes - a lower spinning adjustable driver and then an ultralite bonded driver. They were missing a game improvement'ish adjustable driver and I couldn't really get comfortable with either of them.

We were all offered the 9.5° head, which wasn't what I'd call optimal (and did cause some concern prior to the Morgan Cup), but it didn't end up being a big deal. I think if I was trying to really dial myself in the 10.5° would be the direction I'd lean, but the adjustability was seemingly built with my in mind. The N setting has a face that sits 1° open, so in raising the loft a click I was able to bring it up to 10.5° with a square face (more loft is achieved by closing the face). We are waiting on the weight kits at the moment and will be able to comment on them down the road.

My initial thought was that this could be too low spinning of a head, which it really doesn't seem to be (will have to do some monitor testing to confirm, but ball flight is usually a good indicator for me with my experience using monitors/seeing ball flight). That is as long as you're not pretty far out on the toe. High toe definitely tossed out some very low spin balls that will divebomb if you're a hooker, but anything near the center has treated me quite well. As long as I don't shut down the face I'm seeing mid to mid-high trajectory.

Sound is great and center contact is pretty enticing. A nice resonating bonk that isn't too loud or too muted. Ball feels heavy and just pops off the face when you hit it in the middle.

The shaft will be either loved or hated I'm guessing based on the golfer's swing, but I really liked it and though it matched the head nicely. It's a mid-bend shaft, so fits into the profile that I personally like. Very smooth and you can feel it load up. The balance point is higher (aka counterbalanced), which is something we're seeing more of now. The benefit there is that they can add some head weight but still keep the swingweight in line. Supposedly increases the MOI of the club (not the face) and delivers more ball speed without having to go light. I can't confirm that, but just a short explanation of what they are saying in the marketing material.

Grip is awesome. An all-red Utx, which I'd buy 100 of if I could. Looks and feels good and is top-tier for moisture management. The whole club looks mean. Red grip, black shaft, blacked out head.

Total distance seems comparable to my XHot. I think I may have lost a bit of carry due to a slightly lower trajectory, but I'm also playing this in a lower loft.
Having played rounds with you before and after I'd say you hit this thing pretty well. Distance is probably a little shorter like you mentioned but I know you loved how that ball popped off the face.

Having played rounds with you before and after I'd say you hit this thing pretty well. Distance is probably a little shorter like you mentioned but I know you loved how that ball popped off the face.

I think in a perfect world I'd have this thing at around 12° or so, but certainly playable as is.

I think in a perfect world I'd have this thing at around 12° or so, but certainly playable as is.
You and me both
#longerknucklers

I gotta say this Driver was amazing for me #THPMC. Deffiantly has that nice forgiveness, which I need. And WOW I love the sound of this guy. It isn't a loud or quiet noise but just right, where it just sounds like a awesome strike on the ball. I like the others also got the 9.5°, and my concern was having a low ball flight. But with my combination of this Driver head and a Fubuki Tour 53 Stiff Flex I was seeing mid-high ball flight. Great ball flight and maybe more higher than others. Love this combination and this driver has deffiantly taken place of my Cleveland Custom 588 Driver. (Plus that's becuase Mike Dean lost his Srixon Driver screw so he is borrowing my 588 Custom one now LOL) But overall this is one deadly driver and I have seen amazing results with it and alot of fairways!!!!

Great looking driver. I look forward to hearing about the over all forgiveness.

These sound so interesting. Maximizing rotational speed? I need to check this out. Heavy swing weight so I'm curious to see if it would be up my alley.

These sound so interesting. Maximizing rotational speed? I need to check this out. Heavy swing weight so I'm curious to see if it would be up my alley.

That can be tweaked a little too with the weights, but in hand I really enjoyed that. I like weight in the head though.

I actually love when drivers come with relatively heavy swingweights, since I play mine at least -1". Also, like Hawk said, the weight kit should help tune this as well.

Is there a tool that can remove the front weight on our Driver since it doesn't have the sqaure in the weight?
That can be tweaked a little too with the weights, but in hand I really enjoyed that. I like weight in the head though.

Is there a tool that can remove the front weight on our Driver since it doesn't have the sqaure in the weight?

Not that I am aware of, but hopefully we learn more when the weight kits make it stateside.

Sound like Srixon is bringing a fight to the market with this wood release.

I do like the fact that they are offering 8.5 & 9.5 loft options as well.

One thing I thought was very cool about the specific drivers we were given is the little inscription on the back side. Not sure if this will be on all of them or not, but it is interesting - "N.A. Staff Edition".

pic61.png

Can't wait to hear that. I know we got the 7 gram weight in the back of the head, but is the front just a cover for that port or is it a 7 gram weight also?
Not that I am aware of, but hopefully we learn more when the weight kits make it stateside.

Can't wait to hear that. I know we got the 7 gram weight in the back of the head, but is the front just a cover for that port or is it a 7 gram weight also?

I assume it's weighted in some fashion, but not sure how much. My guess is it's light to keep the weight back.

Yeah I imagine it's a 1 or 3 gram weight. Or maybe something else, but guess we will find out later. Also I thought the N.A. Staff Edition was pretty sweet to have on the side of the Driver Head. My guess is that we got some of the first ones, so the stock ones coming out won't have that. Just shows that we really were true Staffers with Cleveland/Srixon.
I assume it's weighted in some fashion, but not sure how much. My guess is it's light to keep the weight back.

I'd agree that the CG had to be back, given the launch I was getting at 9.5 degrees.

One thing I thought was very cool about the specific drivers we were given is the little inscription on the back side. Not sure if this will be on all of them or not, but it is interesting - "N.A. Staff Edition".

pic61.png

I found this really cool as well, and was wondering if this is why only the 9.5 was available - part of a small run originally made for the people who actually know what they're doing on a golf course?

I pretty much am in love with everything posted about this driver so far. That club face looks HUGE!

Since they were delivered so late on Friday, I never really got a look at them (boo) and I think I'm most interested in the all red UTX grip Hawk mentioned. Not really, but ha.

Is this the one Keegan has been playing. Kept trying up get a good look at it this weekend

I want to say KB was playing it back in January already. Not sure if he's got the 745 or 545 in play right now.

Is this the one Keegan has been playing. Kept trying up get a good look at it this weekend

I believe he switched to the 745. But who knows if he went back.

I pretty much am in love with everything posted about this driver so far. That club face looks HUGE!

Since they were delivered so late on Friday, I never really got a look at them (boo) and I think I'm most interested in the all red UTX grip Hawk mentioned. Not really, but ha.

There's definitely a lot of real estate on the face. For comparison, the Bertha is below.

yra6upyr.jpg

Back