Hitting net and mat

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
I am looking for advice on a good net to hit into and a mat to hit off. I would prefer if it were easy to put up and take down as I would like to be able to take it to work on the occasion with me.

I also dont want to spend a fortune for either. Thanks

I'm interested in people's recommendations as well. Unfortunately, most of the nets I read about on various sites get bad reviews for being too weak.

For the mat I have an astroturf one and it is great but not very portable. For the net I went through (literally) 2 Izzo golf net and I'm still looking for a more durable net.

I recently purchased the 6 ft quad home range callaway net that came with a mat. It's easy to set up, portable, and seems durable. They say you can hit every club in the bag into it, but I just can't make solid contact into it except for wedge shots. Anything full I'm terrified if somehow I shank it, I'm taking out a house lol. Maybe I should just hit wiffle balls till I know it can't be missed. It's a bit pricey but at golf galaxy they hinted the other nets won't last for a couple years like this will

I'm interested in people's recommendations as well. Unfortunately, most of the nets I read about on various sites get bad reviews for being too weak.

Not to mention what they can do to your game. My PGA teacher has been teaching since the early 60's and he thinks the net could be the worse golf invention ever. Very easy to groove a really bad swing. I have to agree. If you can't see the finish, how do you know the shot was good? Goes without saying that I don't like nets at all. JMO of course.

Well my wife bought me a net for my birthday(not knowing I was looking for one :banana:), it is a cheaper net but hey ts the thought that counts. It was easy to set up and to be on the safe side I bought some Almost golf P3 practice balls to hit into it so not to tear the net.

I hit a couple of these balls into the yard and was amazed at the flight path and distance. It was almost dead on 1/3 of the distance of my AW. I didn't try to shape these as I didn't have time.

I understand the concerns of some about hitting into a net and ingraining bad habits. My Iron play is pretty good but needs a little work when it comes to consistent contact and I believe i can straighten out hitting into a net at partial swing speeds. I dont slice or hook my irons but i do hit more fat and thin shots than i would like to.

I would love to be able to go to the range 2-3 times a week but don't have the time nor the cash flow to do so right now. So hopefully this helps me with my consistency with impact especially in my long irons.

I've been using home nets for a few years and owned a few and researched a ton. I've been using the most common net types which is the one with fiberglass polls and shock cords. They are basically tents with netting. There really is no net that is worth it that is easy to set up and take down. You're hitting a ball 150 mph into a net. It's gotta be somewhat steady and stable. Also, most nets need to be tied down or they're just going to fall over. Not sure how that would work at "work" :)

The nets with shock cords are fine but don't last forever. The fiberglass rods are just going to snap eventually. At which point they become a duct tape haven until you just give up.

For next year I will definitely be switching to something like:
http://www.sportnetting.com/product.php?primaryCategoryId=69&categoryId=69/&productId=70

That way the poles aren't under constant stress and it should last a while. Especially with the impact net added. It's also big enough to get closer to so less risk of a sprayed ball going outside the net and causing dmg in a neighborhood.

I know that net/cage is exactly what you don't want. But again, I don't think what you want exists. A net that is big enough and takes a constant pounding just isn't going to be very mobile. The $50 to $150 nets are just going to break eventually. Probably the closest is the Callaway Quad net (not the 6' one, that is WAY too small IMO. Go bigger), but even that has stress on the poles constantly and isn't that fast to take down. You might want to look at that one though.

As far as mats, it again depends on how often you want to replace it. When I set up my cage next year I'm going to build a base for my mat that sits under it so that drains well. If this was just indoors that's not that big a worry (but the sound of my driver would be). DWQuail golf has a ton of mat options so it depends on what you want. My only advice is the mat has to be big enough so that you stand on it while hitting the ball off it.

Anyone Else DIY a Hitting Net?

Anyone Else DIY a Hitting Net?

I found this thread while searching for a hitting net. Instead of starting another one,
there's some good links in this one already, and if anyone else has built one .. chime in!

I'll be building the one you see in the YT Vid below.
My backyard is set up almost exactly like the one in the video. Except my wall is 7 feet high,
and the concrete slab I have is twelve feet wide! So I'll be going 8x10.

Great props to liquidrage on the info for mats. THE BEST! DW Quail's products are second to none!
However, I'll be scrounging the driving ranges and or courses to see if I can't finagle one away from them lol!

[video=youtube_share;-p11qs4E2T0]http://youtu.be/-p11qs4E2T0[/video]

I found this thread while searching for a hitting net. Instead of starting another one,
there's some good links in this one already, and if anyone else has built one .. chime in!

I'll be building the one you see in the YT Vid below.
My backyard is set up almost exactly like the one in the video. Except my wall is 7 feet high,
and the concrete slab I have is twelve feet wide! So I'll be going 8x10.

Great props to liquidrage on the info for mats. THE BEST! DW Quail's products are second to none!
However, I'll be scrounging the driving ranges and or courses to see if I can't finagle one away from them lol!

[video=youtube_share;-p11qs4E2T0]http://youtu.be/-p11qs4E2T0[/video]

I've heard great things about the Rukket Golf net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bs06zOMbew

I even own one, but haven't hit into yet because I also have a swingbox in my cellar which takes up a ton less room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mo5Q6KeZLE

I've heard great things about the Rukket Golf net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bs06zOMbew

I even own one, but haven't hit into yet because I also have a swingbox in my cellar which takes up a ton less room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mo5Q6KeZLE

my fiancé bought me a rukknet for my birthday and the thing is awesome. Probably about 20 seconds to put up and take down, and it comes in a very compact carrying case. As for the mat, I bought a small rectangular callaway mat from TGW, and it's pretty nice. It's size allows me to store it in the rukknet bag, and the plastic tee holding apparatus works fine thus far.

I did quite a bit of research on this myself. I cheaped out and bought a $130 callaway net 10' I believe, and hit "almost golf balls" into it. My mat is my favorite though, The "Fairway Pro Divot simulator". It allows you to hit through the ball as you would on the course, and is quite a bit cheaper than the gel ones. My only complaint is the hitting area is a little small. My buddy found out that titanium is harder than aircraft aluminum, lol, and hit the face once. It still works great. And if I ever go to out to the golf dome in the winter, I bring it along, as I hate hitting on their mats. I have Tiger 13 set up on my xbox kinect as well, works pretty good and is alot of fun. Looking at getting a p3proswing or optishot for this upcoming winter.

The Rukk net is amazing. Takes a minute to set up and a minute to break down.

Extremely sturdy and works great.

Well the RukkNet is what I plan on getting this fall, but I'm still up in the air about a hitting mat. What do you all use?

Well the RukkNet is what I plan on getting this fall, but I'm still up in the air about a hitting mat. What do you all use?
I've had several nets over the years in my backyard...they all wear after time and the elements take it's toll on them as well. I leave them up yr round, even in the snow. The ones that have a tarped floor will kill grass,and didn't hold up, the net tore after the 1st day. those with an arched fiberglass pole,as opposed to two upright poles(volleyball style) worked best. Just remember they will ALL wear, especially if you hit the same area time after time..but it takes a little while....as for the mat, the thicker ones last longer.they cost more but they last ....caution: if you plan on standing in ONE spot to hit into the net like I did, for any length of time, the grass WILL die and you'll be standing in a mud-hole.it doesn't take much standing to kill it . That's why I built a plywood platform to stand on,just like at the ranges. My mudhole was 2" deep.... I got tired of hitting muddy/dirty balls. food for thought......

Have reached out and recieved some great input. Anyone have experience or recommendations on a good net? Portability is nice but not a must.

Have reached out and recieved some great input. Anyone have experience or recommendations on a good net? Portability is nice but not a must.
I have the Rukket and it's pretty good. I need something that's easy to put up and tear down, since I do not have an isolated room just for hitting balls. As a result, I actually think this thing rocks. It does take up quite a bit of space, however. The quality is good, and has been holding up well. It's obviously wearing on the bottom because of all the tear downs, but it's not falling apart yet.

If I could accommodate a stationary net, I would probably look at other options.

I have the Rukket and it's pretty good. I need something that's easy to put up and tear down, since I do not have an isolated room just for hitting balls. As a result, I actually think this thing rocks. It does take up quite a bit of space, however. The quality is good, and has been holding up well. It's obviously wearing on the bottom because of all the tear downs, but it's not falling apart yet.

If I could accommodate a stationary net, I would probably look at other options.
Is there a difference between the one with targets and one without on their website? Or does the more expensive option just have the target and hitting mat and otherwise the same net?

Is there a difference between the one with targets and one without on their website? Or does the more expensive option just have the target and hitting mat and otherwise the same net?
Nets are exactly the same. I opted for the non-mat/target to save money. Personally wouldn't use either.

Back