2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done Frank! Another 10 is 100% doable by late September. Keep at it!

I'm going to learn to love them I guess. Spent a lot of time this morning reading about diet and I think I'm getting close to figuring it out. #1 goal is something that is manageable long term, which is what I attribute much of my success shedding weight. I can't do complicated or abnormal diets because eventually you just lack the desire to spend the money and time on that stuff when you're constantly busy.

Yeah. Learn to love squats. It's hard because it isn't an easy lift.

I would tell you to look into programs that are more eating plans, and less diet plans.

I think we all know that Ice cream and triple cheese bacon burgers are bad for you.

Have you read Bigger, Leaner, Stronger?

Gets a lot of good feedback and some other things I read from the guy appealed to me. Sort of a no-nonsense approach and his ideas about reasonable expectations were good. I think I'm going to get it. $7 on Kindle.

I would tell you to look into programs that are more eating plans, and less diet plans.

I think we all know that Ice cream and triple cheese bacon burgers are bad for you.

This is all very solid advice. Totally agree

Gets a lot of good feedback and some other things I read from the guy appealed to me. Sort of a no-nonsense approach and his ideas about reasonable expectations were good. I think I'm going to get it. $7 on Kindle.

I haven't. Let us know what you think as you go.

I haven't. Let us know what you think as you go.

It seems like he's following the 5x5 and 5/3/1 model for workout advice from what I'm seeing, but a good portion of it is diet related. That's what I'm most interested in at the moment. He's not a supplement/protein powder guy.

I read a lot of Jason Ferruggia's work. He preaches simple workouts and more of a feast/famine eating structure.

Is that similar to what you sent me earlier in the year Joe? I liked the premise there, but I didn't think it would be sustainable.

It seems like he's following the 5x5 and 5/3/1 model for workout advice from what I'm seeing, but a good portion of it is diet related. That's what I'm most interested in at the moment. He's not a supplement/protein powder guy.

Which is big for me. As you know I am a real food preacher.

This x 1,000. The fact I have to do them every workout is helping. Also, has anyone else tried to squat an empty bar? I've almost fallen over every time I warm up for squats.

This x 1,000. The fact I have to do them every workout is helping. Also, has anyone else tried to squat an empty bar? I've almost fallen over every time I warm up for squats.

Yup. It's also good to check form

I am really enjoying cooking at home and trying new recipes. Sure, it's nice to just grab a bowl of cereal in the morning, and I do miss the convenience of a non paleo diet, but I have made some pretty tasty stuff so far. I have some new recipes picked out for this week, some of which are totally foreign to me so we will see how it goes.

I am really enjoying cooking at home and trying new recipes. Sure, it's nice to just grab a bowl of cereal in the morning, and I do miss the convenience of a non paleo diet, but I have made some pretty tasty stuff so far. I have some new recipes picked out for this week, some of which are totally foreign to me so we will see how it goes.

Good luck!

Then you're not squatting down between your legs. You're leaning forward. If you can't wiggle your toes at the bottom, you've fallen forward.

Give me some pointers on barbell rows please. I felt pretty bunched up when I was doing them. Should I be as low as I am in a squat? I felt off balance at times too.

Then you're not squatting down between your legs. You're leaning forward. If you can't wiggle your toes at the bottom, you've fallen forward.

I'm not sure I can even squat down without leaning a little forward. Great tip. Something I need to work on for sure.

I did look at that and the videos. They look so choppy, but they obviously know better than I do. Just never felt comfortable with them last night after a few looks.

I did look at that and the videos. They look so choppy, but they obviously know better than I do. Just never felt comfortable with them last night after a few looks.

The thought of it being a reverse bench press helps me a little bit, but I'm always worried I'm not doing it right. That's the part that sucks about working out alone.

I'm not sure I can even squat down without leaning a little forward. Great tip. Something I need to work on for sure.

A little forward is fine. You will have to lean a touch forward. I'll send you a video

Stronglifters - how did/do you handle recovery time with the squats? I recover very slow in general and 48 hours is pretty tight for me. Does it get better after some time? I just can't envision 3 squat workouts a week without pushing through some pretty sore legs.

Stronglifters - how did/do you handle recovery time with the squats? I recover very slow in general and 48 hours is pretty tight for me. Does it get better after some time? I just can't envision 3 squat workouts a week without pushing through some pretty sore legs.

It's tough. Very tough. I find sleep, food, and soft tissue work with a foam roller or lacrosse ball helps. I have also noticed that the warmups help to loosen up the muscles. Also, I avoid cardio after my workouts. I might sprinkle in a short 15 minute session on an off day.

Do I just say eff it and go squat with sore legs tonight? After a warmup of course. Day two is almost always the worst day which sucks.

As your body gets used squatting it does get better but there will be some soreness. Post workout nutrition and rolling is crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back