Taylormade Release Dates = Good or Bad?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With the release of the Taylormade SuperDeep, it got me thinking about release dates and club companies. Some companies still release on an every two year cycle and some do not. Some release at random times and Taylormade is certainly known for that. It seems that more and more companies are putting out drivers, irons, etc... at record paces and as consumers, what are your thoughts about it. Adams has put out 3-4 drivers in 12 months. Mizuno has put out 6-8 sets of irons in the last 12 months, and the lists go on. Taylormade seems to be the one that gets the press for this and in some ways rightfully so.

Do you prefer set cycles for releasing of clubs like some companies still use or do you like the fact that every 60-90 days the new driver is coming out?

It seems to really anger some in regards to releasing another driver. I always ask why? Is it because they really want the latest and the greatest? I understand retail stores getting upset, but for consumers, this really means that you can usually get a driver that is only 6 months old on the clearance rack that is still a great club. I always get confused by the anger towards releases from any club company. Some argue resale, but lets face it, with the exception of a few putters, club resale value is poor at best.

What are your thoughts on release dates for companies and do you have a preference?

I really don't see the problem with how companies release their clubs. I love the Supertri and can hit it very well. Just because the Superdeep is out does not mean I can no longer hit the Supertri well.

i don't think that anytime anyone releases anything that it gets on my nerves or bothers me. when i was reading your post i kept thinking about the john hoeflich interview in the magazine and how he was saying that there's just that demographic that buys the newest thing just b/c. if a company wants to take advantage of that then that's fine with me.

honestly, it is tough though when companies are putting out the newest, latest, and greatest b/c there is that part of me that wants it, and trust me, thp doesn't help those urges at all, lol. i would think that eventually the market would just get flooded with equipment but i guess that's not the case. if i had to decide i would prefer that companies release new stuff annually, just for the build up. this is an interesting topic and i can't wait to see some more opinions.

Release dates dont bother me one way or the other. I love new equipment and better equipment so whats to complain about.

The only problem I have with the release of new clubs is I want to buy them. If I had better self control I wouldn't care. What I am learning though is I should just find the equipment I like and is working and stick with it if I want my game to have some consistency.

I don't really have a problem with it, although I find it a little comical when people buy into it and get the newest thing when it comes out. I realize that different clubs are for different golfers, but it almost seems like when a company releases one club in January, then another similar club in June, all they are saying is that what we had in January is crap so buy this one.

Just picking on TM, but when they had the original R9 it was all the rage, then a few months later it is the R9 460, now the supertri and superdeep. So they are saying that the original was good, but now we already need to improve it for a different set of golfers. If people buy into that I don't care, it is your money.

It doesn't seem to bother them at all, but I would think it is a bad business model. Golf equipment doesn't hold value that well, so once the new model is out, the old one is instantly depreciated. It might be that the only ones that it effects is the person who already bought the old model. I get catalogs and the original R9 is sold for about $100 less than original price and it hasn't been that long ago.

My theory on golf equipment is the same as a lot of other items like cell phones, electronics, cars, etc. Get the best thing you can afford at the time and be in love your decision. Because in about 3 months, whatever you bought will be outdated and something new will be out. I am one who uses that theory, so when it comes to golf clubs, I just buy what I like best at the time. I will use it until I feel the need to get something new, never because something new came out. I have had a driver for 7 years, 3-wood for 15 years, and even though their might be other irons I like, I will keep what I bought a couple years ago for several years also.

For those of us who don't want the latest and greatest, it works out well. If you can hold out a year or so, the 'new' club is discounted deeply.

I have mixed feelings... I'd like to know when things are coming out so I can plan on my upgrades and save $$ accordingly. For example I play Ping irons and I prefer the i series and I know every 2 years there will be a new one out. At the same time, I went to school for engineering and I love technology and if there was something technologically better for my game wouldn't I want to have it ASAP?

Maybe I don't see the issue. Drivers are the only thing that interests me to check out.You never know when you will find something better.Still trying to decide If I want a supertri

I couldnt care less... I dont buy new drivers or irons every year though either.

I don't really have a problem with it, although I find it a little comical when people buy into it and get the newest thing when it comes out. I realize that different clubs are for different golfers, but it almost seems like when a company releases one club in January, then another similar club in June, all they are saying is that what we had in January is crap so buy this one.

Just picking on TM, but when they had the original R9 it was all the rage, then a few months later it is the R9 460, now the supertri and superdeep. So they are saying that the original was good, but now we already need to improve it for a different set of golfers. If people buy into that I don't care, it is your money.

It doesn't seem to bother them at all, but I would think it is a bad business model. Golf equipment doesn't hold value that well, so once the new model is out, the old one is instantly depreciated. It might be that the only ones that it effects is the person who already bought the old model. I get catalogs and the original R9 is sold for about $100 less than original price and it hasn't been that long ago.

My theory on golf equipment is the same as a lot of other items like cell phones, electronics, cars, etc. Get the best thing you can afford at the time and be in love your decision. Because in about 3 months, whatever you bought will be outdated and something new will be out. I am one who uses that theory, so when it comes to golf clubs, I just buy what I like best at the time. I will use it until I feel the need to get something new, never because something new came out. I have had a driver for 7 years, 3-wood for 15 years, and even though their might be other irons I like, I will keep what I bought a couple years ago for several years also.

For those of us who don't want the latest and greatest, it works out well. If you can hold out a year or so, the 'new' club is discounted deeply.

Good detailed answer. Let me ask a follow up question to you. Do you prefer a model like Titleist or others that release 3-4 drivers at one time rather than the Cobra, Taylormade, Adams, etc... which is release one then another, then another, and so on down?

Doesn't matter to me. My only tiff is that with TM they release new drivers yet the discounts on their older drivers are not that great because they can use the excuse of this is for a different player or it's a different product set. I think where the discount is is in the pre owned market. I can attest to that since I bought my R9 pre owned last year nary a scratch or sign of wear on it for $200 less than the going rate which at the time was $400. You'll see better quality pre owned stuff out there from the folks that always want the latest and greatest and then there's folks like me who wouldn't mind waiting for a good deal on the pre owned market when those folks trade their stuff in that's barely used.

I think where this is felt is the smaller clubhouse pro shops where they don't want to stock up on a certain item because they're afraid that they'll have to sell the extra inventory at a reduced rate which cuts profits in 6 months timeframe.

As far as Taylor Made is concerned, I read an article that indicated when they come out with a new driver and the suggested selling price is say $399 they really don't expect to sell a lot at that price but in 8-12 months they lower the price to $299 and everyone things they are getting a great deal. Their true market price was $299 all they try to do is get some of those people who will buy anything new to pay extra for it. Don't know if this is really true but it sure makes sense to me.

Perhaps the other OEM's who are now going the way of TM in releasing equipment many times during the year is based on something similar. People are always looking for a way to make the game easier for themselves and buying a game is far easier that practicing to get better.

As far as Taylor Made is concerned, I read an article that indicated when they come out with a new driver and the suggested selling price is say $399 they really don't expect to sell a lot at that price but in 8-12 months they lower the price to $299 and everyone things they are getting a great deal. Their true market price was $299 all they try to do is get some of those people who will buy anything new to pay extra for it. Don't know if this is really true but it sure makes sense to me.

Perhaps the other OEM's who are now going the way of TM in releasing equipment many times during the year is based on something similar. People are always looking for a way to make the game easier for themselves and buying a game is far easier that practicing to get better.

I have not seen that before Gus. Do you have a link to that article? From what we know, it would not really make any sense based on the fact that they do not sell retail, but rather wholesale, so they have already made their money when they ship them to stores 90% of the time.

I am a TM guy(obviously). I have tried in the last 4 months the R9 460, SuperTri and now the Superfast drivers. They all have their benefits and are better overall than the driver I replaced in February the TBTP. So if you are looking for game improvement, these new drivers will do that. That said the Super Deep is not for me. Either the ST or Superfast w/ my favorite Oban. :D

First off all you have outstanding taste in baseball teams. Now let me say that with regards to the Supertri and Superdeep I would defend TM on this release. The Superdeep is a completely different driver than the ST. The ST is a high launch high spin driver. The SD is a low launch low spin driver so they are made for completely different golfers.

First off all you have outstanding taste in baseball teams. Now let me say that with regards to the Supertri and Superdeep I would defend TM on this release. The Superdeep is a completely different driver than the ST. The ST is a high launch high spin driver. The SD is a low launch low spin driver so they are made for completely different golfers.

That I agree with. I dont really consider the SuperDeep an actual Taylormade release. It is a limited driver for a very small group of golfers with a very high price tag.

Good detailed answer. Let me ask a follow up question to you. Do you prefer a model like Titleist or others that release 3-4 drivers at one time rather than the Cobra, Taylormade, Adams, etc... which is release one then another, then another, and so on down?

I do prefer it that way. Not because of the certain manufacturer, but just so I know about everything that is available. I rarely have the opportunity to buy new clubs. When I do, I want to be able to hit every offereing I can and make a decision in a couple of months. I don't want to go through the process and then start over in 3 months becuase my top choice just got replaced.

If I like Titleist drivers for instance, I know that when they release the 909 D1, D2, & D3, that is what they have to offer, and all they will have for a year and a half or so. I can hit each and figure out which one is best for me, knowing that these are my options and there won't be an addition for quite a while.

If you don't particularly like a certain model however, wait a few months and there might be something different. I guess that can be the good side to the often release. I prefer to make a decision and not second guess myself when the new one comes out right after I buy.

Personally this doesn't really bother me, however it gets a little annoying how everyone seems so annoyed when Taylormade comes out with something new. If I'm not mistaken, until the Supertri, Superfast, Superdeep came out that they hadn't released a driver since the R9 460 the previous march or april. That doesn't seem like a crazy release schedule to me, maybe it just annoys people because their clubs seem to get more press and advertising than other companies offerings so when something new does come out it seems like they've released more than they have.

Callaway has released 5 drivers this year alone and you don't really hear anyone making comments about that and Adams has slowed the releases a little bit but they seem to have a pretty short product cycle for their woods. As far as irons go, it just annoys me how the prices for irons seems to be going up rather than down. You used to be able to get a pretty good set of irons for $500-$600 and now it seems the norm for irons is between $799-$1000 depending on what you're looking at. The way the economy is, people can't be expected to fork over the better part of $1000 for a set of irons. That's just my .02

Ryan

Personally this doesn't really bother me, however it gets a little annoying how everyone seems so annoyed when Taylormade comes out with something new. If I'm not mistaken, until the Supertri, Superfast, Superdeep came out that they hadn't released a driver since the R9 460 the previous march or april. That doesn't seem like a crazy release schedule to me, maybe it just annoys people because their clubs seem to get more press and advertising than other companies offerings so when something new does come out it seems like they've released more than they have.

Callaway has released 5 drivers this year alone and you don't really hear anyone making comments about that and Adams has slowed the releases a little bit but they seem to have a pretty short product cycle for their woods. As far as irons go, it just annoys me how the prices for irons seems to be going up rather than down. You used to be able to get a pretty good set of irons for $500-$600 and now it seems the norm for irons is between $799-$1000 depending on what you're looking at. The way the economy is, people can't be expected to fork over the better part of $1000 for a set of irons. That's just my .02

Ryan

You are exactly right about the releases and Callaway releasing so many drivers. However Callaway for the most part is releasing them all at once and not staggering them. AND, you are forgetting the TP releases for each one of the TM drivers you mentioned. So they have released a lot of them. But I agree with you, for the most part.

As far as irons, I think there are two sides. Mizuno's MX line (200s and 300s) are quite well priced as is a few other sets here and there such as SuperLaunch, etc... that are in the $600 range. Then there are those that are still high priced and are not coming down anytime soon. The R&D cost has not come down, neither has the ad cost, so its hard to drop the price of the clubs. I sure would like it if they did though.

Re: Taylormade Release Dates = Good or Bad?

Today while on my regular visit to GG I noticed that Callaway now has a "light" version of their woods. So theres another one to add to all the other ones. Looked like the shafts were 55 grams instead of 60.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You are exactly right about the releases and Callaway releasing so many drivers. However Callaway for the most part is releasing them all at once and not staggering them. AND, you are forgetting the TP releases for each one of the TM drivers you mentioned. So they have released a lot of them. But I agree with you, for the most part.

As far as irons, I think there are two sides. Mizuno's MX line (200s and 300s) are quite well priced as is a few other sets here and there such as SuperLaunch, etc... that are in the $600 range. Then there are those that are still high priced and are not coming down anytime soon. The R&D cost has not come down, neither has the ad cost, so its hard to drop the price of the clubs. I sure would like it if they did though.

The main difference with Taylormade and their TP models compared to Callaway and their tour models is that the R9 series TP's aren't necessarily a different club since the heads are the same and your just paying the premium for the TP shaft. Obviously, that will change when the black Superfast TP comes out since that's a different club than the non TP version. Callaway's Tour models are weighted diffently and are less closed at address along with a better shaft. The R9 TP series is essentially just like custom ordering something with premium shaft since you can weight the heads anyway you want by changing the weights. All in all, everybody releases a ton of stuff anymore and it probably won't change anytime soon either.

That only changed with the R9 however and it is still another release that they market and sell as a different club. The Burner line has a TP model as well. Not all the Callaway Tour models are differently weighted by that much. The IZ and the FT-9 were not that much different other than open and closed. Slight weighting differences yes, but not huge.

But this goes back to the original question. Do you prefer set release dates moreso than staggered every 90 days or so?

EDIT: One thing to point out though is this is not really about total number of clubs as much as it is release times. The Tp versions of clubs normally come out at the exact same time as the regular edition. Callaway drivers for the most part all came out at the same time.

I have not seen that before Gus. Do you have a link to that article? From what we know, it would not really make any sense based on the fact that they do not sell retail, but rather wholesale, so they have already made their money when they ship them to stores 90% of the time.

I don't have a link I think this was something I read a couple of years ago. As far as making sense I don't know what % of the price TM gets on $ 399 but the fact their retailers sell more product because of the lower pricing makes sense. Don't the OEM's try to take care of their retailers as best as they can all the time. I would think somehow TM comes out making money out of this since they move a bunch of product plus they keep their suppliers busy, their retailers busy and keep their product in the consumers minds all year long because of it.

I prefer all of the models to come out at once so that I can choose the one that fits my game. That said, its not really a big deal to me either way.

I don't have a link I think this was something I read a couple of years ago. As far as making sense I don't know what % of the price TM gets on $ 399 but the fact their retailers sell more product because of the lower pricing makes sense. Don't the OEM's try to take care of their retailers as best as they can all the time. I would think somehow TM comes out making money out of this since they move a bunch of product plus they keep their suppliers busy, their retailers busy and keep their product in the consumers minds all year long because of it.

Sure they want to take care of the retailers, but they are a wholesaler and once the product is sold to the store, they want to get as much for it as possible. They do not sell direct, so it really makes no difference to their profit if it sells at $399 or $299. The product is shipped to the store on net terms, TM is paid, and then it is the store that has to make the money.

Back