I've considered some true online lessons for the next salvo. A couple guys in mind. Big part of me has doubts as to their effectiveness, but I'm not sure I have all that much to lose.

I started golfing last year with a few friends. Being competitive, I wanted to get better than them so I started taking lessons with a local pro. I made headway, but similar to a few posts, I lacked the understanding of the swing.

I practed, got better but then the winter came and I didn't practice at all. For christmas I received a 5 pack of lessons through another pro and started those lessons in June of this year. The pro sent me notes via email after each lesson and I would read them at the range. I practiced a bunch. 5-6 times a week at the range and followed up with a lesson every few weeks.

I generally seen more strides this year because my practice was better. I've never considered online lessons but I do enjoy the one on one time with my instructor.

I have had regular lessons when I first started playing and will also use drills or instructions from the Internet from time to time. Cost is a big factor but so is the need for other views and ideas. What may work for some may not work for others. Never looking for a quick fix but some things that I see online fit my learning style better. Once in a while someone says something differently and it will be like a light bulb clicks on.

I haven't ever had a "lesson" on the internet but am constantly watching drills/videos on YouTube for improving on my knowledge of fundamentals.

When I got back into the game last year I started with YouTube, mainly Mark Crossfield. Did that for a little bit. Then started lessons with a local pro earlier this year until I couldn't do it anymore. Now I rely on Freddie Kong's tips.
I like Mark, he has some really good information

Never taken a lesson, online or otherwise. I did get a swing tip from you though once.
Hoe did that work out for you?

I'm not much of an Internet learner honestly Freddie, I think that many can and do learn from today's technological era but I prefer to go see my guy if something pops up I want to change or tweak. I do however think there's a huge market for it.
I wish I had video of your old swing to use a teaching tool

I follow online lessons with Professor Kong, but that's all I need!
Glad I can help

I've considered some true online lessons for the next salvo. A couple guys in mind. Big part of me has doubts as to their effectiveness, but I'm not sure I have all that much to lose.
Sorry I haven't gained your confidence :alien2:

I've used a lot of YouTube clips to help with drills and such. Sometimes it's just good to hear someone else explain a tip or a drill. Outside of that, all my lessons have come from face to face instruction.

I've had lessons from PGA instructors locally and they have helped my golf game. Best advice I ever got was my instructor telling me that if I ever wanted to get better, I'd need to devote time to practice. I watch YouTube instruction as well. Mostly I rely on Shawn Clement as I like they way he integrates anatomy into his lessons.

How many if you take or use the internet for your lessons and golf tips? Do you subscribe to one instructor or multiple theories?

If you do use the internet, why? Is it because of cost? Do you just enjoy one teachers style?

Do also take lessons with certified instructor?

I'm really curious as to where people get there swing help and knowledge.

While I have little doubt that some people can pick up useful tips or instruction online, I am 100% a person that only wants my swing help/advice coming from a PGA Teaching Pro, live and in person.

Not that I don't like what you do here, it is not in my book the best way forward to becoming the best a person can be at golf. The game is very hard for most and no two swings are the same. I'm just old school and a big believer in doing things live and in person. I also agree that electronic devices play a role today in teaching, but another must for me is that all swing work must be done outdoors where ball flight can be seen and hit off of natural grass.

No nets, and no mats for me. I know I'll ruffle a few feathers, but our PGA Professional (A 52 year member) feels that nets for golf are the worst invention ever and I agree.

I'd love to take lessons, but with kids and awkward job hours the only way it would work is if there was a Pro standing by when I show up waiting to go out. And even then its complicated, because I feel my swing changes after I loosen up. So I would wanna go out for a few holes then come back and take a lesson.

And even then, they would also have to remember what I was working on without me reminding them, or I would feel like they weren't serious enough.

I'm probably asking too much so I don't bother so much.

As far as internet instruction. I wouldn't take it as seriously and certainly wouldn't want to pay as much. Unless perhaps I had multiple camera angles to work with and the results came back with edited video showing edits drawn into the film and specific custom instruction videos. That might be kinda neat.

How many if you take or use the internet for your lessons and golf tips? Do you subscribe to one instructor or multiple theories?
Sure, we are on THP so we look here for tips and answers to all of golfs mysteries. :clap:. In all seriousness, I typically avoid youtube, fix your X type lessons, and swing theories via youtube or an instructors website. Unless I am exchanging video or images of what I am doing, there is no real way to determine the source of my problem and thus I don't know what I should apply to my swing. I need to be able to exchange information for the instruction to be beneficial.

I do have a putting instructor that all of our communications have been done online by using video I have posted on youtube, photos I have sent, SAM Puttlab reports, and email exchanges. It has been more than just a "putting lesson", but an experience in how and why the putting stroke works the way it does. This knowledge has helped me better analyze what is happening with my stroke at any time. We have also done a little full swing video analysis. Yes, he is a certified golf pro/instructor.

If you do use the internet, why? Is it because of cost? Do you just enjoy one teachers style?
It is extremely convenient and gives me access to a wider selection of instructors. It means I am not restricted to the pros in my area. Also allows me to put together an email at any time and send it to the instructor. He can answer when it is convenient and not just when we are working together.

Do also take lessons with certified instructor?

I haven't taken a live lesson with a certified instructor in a couple of years. My mode for a while was to do a series of lessons at the beginning of each golf season. I did a playing lesson to evaluate the state of my game and decide where we wanted to focus, short game, putting, irons, and driver lessons. I still will take live instruction, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to make drastic changes/fixes and want more interaction, you have to use a live instructor.

I've follow Paul Wilson on YouTube and now am a paid subscriber to his site. Haven't done an online lesson yet but may down the road. His video tips are amazing! I am playing much more confidently and consistently since following his methods.

I try not to watch You tube swing fixes unless it is something my instructor has specifically told me I am doing wrong. In that case I will look for other explanations as to how to correct it. I put one swing on here a while back and have been trying the suggestions and I also did a 2 lesson swing fix online with Monte Schb.......(can not spell his last name). My instructor, Freddie and Monte all picked up on the same things.

Working away for 4 - 6 weeks I get into bad habits and I find it good to be able to revisit those online tips to try and get things back on track. I personally prefer one to one in person lessons, with a combination of demonstrations, having my body put where it should be and face to face explanations work best with me. Having said that I have just posted a question how to increase the Attack angle with my driver....

While I have little doubt that some people can pick up useful tips or instruction online, I am 100% a person that only wants my swing help/advice coming from a PGA Teaching Pro, live and in person.

Not that I don't like what you do here, it is not in my book the best way forward to becoming the best a person can be at golf. The game is very hard for most and no two swings are the same. I'm just old school and a big believer in doing things live and in person. I also agree that electronic devices play a role today in teaching, but another must for me is that all swing work must be done outdoors where ball flight can be seen and hit off of natural grass.

No nets, and no mats for me. I know I'll ruffle a few feathers, but our PGA Professional (A 52 year member) feels that nets for golf are the worst invention ever and I agree.

I tend to agree with you. There is nothing like live hands on teaching. There is something to be said for sharing an hour with your student or teacher talking golf swing.

I do not like hitting indoor either, it always throws me off. I know it's a necessary evil but it messes with my head.

I think the right golfer can really grow with a combination of internet lessons, live coach and practice. In this day and age with so little time being devoted to actually learning ones craft, the web based lesson serves as a great resource.

I found Shawn Clement a couple of years on YouTube and a couple of his drills really helped me get out of a rut at that time. I have his most recent set of DVD's too, which helped me even more.

I really like Shawn's approach to the basics of a golf swing which is really focused a lot on the kinesthetics.

However, I need to transition to in-person lessons to try to clean some stuff up. The problem with a DVD is that it can't just happen to notice that you're not doing something quite right.

I do not like hitting indoor either, it always throws me off. I know it's a necessary evil but it messes with my head.

I agree with this whole heartedly. I just can't do it the same indoors. One of my bigger issues is getting the right distance to the ball and I do it swiping the ground back and forth with the club because it leaves a stripe on the grass and then I walk into the ball but the club doesn't leave a stripe on the mat so I don't get center contact as much.

I've never taken a true online lesson before, but I've got far too many videos from YouTube and DVD sets/paid downloads. I've learned to sort of ignore a lot of the tips and rely on what someone's eyes have seen in my swing, so my local guy and Freddie's instruction have been what's helped me most.

There are some YT channels I still subscribe to and enjoy, especially Martin Chuck (I have his new DVD set), Monte Scheinblum (again, have his short game vids and will gladly buy anything else he sells), and Sam Goulden (I bought his Square to Square book and still rely on a lot of the basics of that swing).

Never had an online lesson. I have watched YouTube videos of Herman Williams, Martin Chuck and Shawn Clement when a certain issue I feel needs to be addressed. Sometimes the contradictions or varying schools of thought on the golf swing are too many though. I too have benefited from the interest and help that you Freddie so kindly provide. I am going to be in Orlando, first week of October, any chance I could get a lesson in person?

I tend to agree with you. There is nothing like live hands on teaching. There is something to be said for sharing an hour with your student or teacher talking golf swing.

"I do not like hitting indoor either, it always throws me off. I know it's a necessary evil but it messes with my head"

I totally agree Freddie. I hate anything indoors - feels totally different to me. As far as lessons, I much prefer an in person lesson. I am much more of a "physical" learner, and want someone right there to get me where I need to be. And I want to be able to ask questions right on the spot.

Hit me up with a PM and we will see if we can set something up
Never had an online lesson. I have watched YouTube videos of Herman Williams, Martin Chuck and Shawn Clement when a certain issue I feel needs to be addressed. Sometimes the contradictions or varying schools of thought on the golf swing are too many though. I too have benefited from the interest and help that you Freddie so kindly provide. I am going to be in Orlando, first week of October, any chance I could get a lesson in person?

I've never taken a true online lesson before, but I've got far too many videos from YouTube and DVD sets/paid downloads. I've learned to sort of ignore a lot of the tips and rely on what someone's eyes have seen in my swing, so my local guy and Freddie's instruction have been what's helped me most.

There are some YT channels I still subscribe to and enjoy, especially Martin Chuck (I have his new DVD set), Monte Scheinblum (again, have his short game vids and will gladly buy anything else he sells), and Sam Goulden (I bought his Square to Square book and still rely on a lot of the basics of that swing).

Monte was the one online lesson I mentioned earlier in this thread, that I did.

Liked him a lot, he's very good at explaining things and demonstrating fairly simple changes to put in place.

Made 2 great contacts that are taking me to new steps in my swing . I do online lessons from Gary Edwin and Bradley Hughes . Kinda expensive , Gary is $50 for 3 to 5 mins and Brad is $150 for 20 . Both excellent , one more technical and one gives me great forearm strength drills . Was told these changes take 3 years ,which is fine , all changes are without a ball and all impact bags / garbage cans / alignment sticks . Only way I can take lessons from these 2 who are out of Australia is via the internet .

If your willing to put in the work , and be patient , than look them up

Spending time with Freddie on the range and then playing a round with him is about as good as it gets, I have to say.

Spending time with Freddie on the range and then playing a round with him is about as good as it gets, I have to say.

Some might strongly disagree

I can't imagine so

I haven't met you yet. But based on your knowledge and the help you provide here. I would cherish a lesson and or round with you.

Thanks for all the help you dole out here. Later this fall or winter after I recover from my surgery id like to get a video to you for some things to work on over the winter.

Bah. You're far too modest Freddie. You are a class act, a gentleman, a fantastic golfer and someone I will consider my MC-brother and friend until the end of time, whether the feeling is mutual or not. Now let's get you healed up and back at it. :)

Back