Indoor Putting Greens

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever considered a putting green for your home or office. This is strictly the indoor variety and not the outdoor. GG and I have been looking for a a few days since the outing and watching OEM Kevin & thanks9174 putt on our rug. There are so many different kinds and varieties out there. Its amazing that there is such a huge difference in cost. You can really find things from $20 to $10,000 and it is all about construction, material, features, etc...

Would you ever put one in your home or office? What would you want for features?

i've looked at some for when we have a bigger house, but in the end i'll probably just build one myself (you know, kind of like the putting greens that you putt on in a dick's or any golf shop really).

Are you looking for something that stay's put 24/7 or a smaller version that can be stored away? It seem's to me that a lip around the edges would be important, some slope even if just a light amount and a return would really be the ticket. The type of fake grass would likely be the most important if it was to do much good at simulating the courses I played.

I would have to have one that could be stored away and durability would be important if it was to be folded or rolled up.

• Admin
For us it would be something that is out (in our staff bag room), but for many that fold away option is key.

When we bought our house we looked at a model in a new development and it had a putting green in the finished basement. Ever since I saw that Ive wanted one. Imagine the possibilities - parties, buddies over for the game, you can practice in perfect weather year round and no maintenance!

I looked at this actually... I didn't do it (wife axed it) but I was just going to go with a flat surface, with that fake grass/green carpet stuff. I was simply going to build a 2x4 structure and put plywood on it, then cover it with that carpet stuff. All the materials ended up being less than $300. It would just sit on the existing floor, if you needed to remove it.

For us it would be something that is out (in our staff bag room), but for many that fold away option is key.

Being in your staffbag room I envision something that's elevated. Not only would that just seem kind of cool, but storage underneath. Not to mention being able to use those ball returns you reviewed. That reminds me, I want one of those, lol. Do you and GG still find yourselfs using one?

if cost weren't an option, I would want multiple holes with some on a flat surface and others with some pitch to them. it'd be really cool to have one with some sort of rough on it that you could chip or niblick on in order to practice rolling out the ball to the hole

• Admin
When we bought our house we looked at a model in a new development and it had a putting green in the finished basement. Ever since I saw that Ive wanted one. Imagine the possibilities - parties, buddies over for the game, you can practice in perfect weather year round and no maintenance!

My thoughts exactly.

I looked at this actually... I didn't do it (wife axed it) but I was just going to go with a flat surface, with that fake grass/green carpet stuff. I was simply going to build a 2x4 structure and put plywood on it, then cover it with that carpet stuff. All the materials ended up being less than $300. It would just sit on the existing floor, if you needed to remove it.

Im not handy enough to make it look good enough to have on display unfortunately. Plus some of these use some incredible turf and can add breaks and I do not want to get into that. As I mentioned, I am not real handy.
Being in your staffbag room I envision something that's elevated. Not only would that just seem kind of cool, but storage underneath. Not to mention being able to use those ball returns you reviewed. That reminds me, I want one of those, lol. Do you and GG still find yourselfs using one?

We reviewed the one we had and then it was given away as a caption this prize on the forum. I may be ordering one.

I definitely have this thought brewing in the back of my head for when I get settled and finally buy a house. I thought of constructing the frame with 2X4's and plywood, then placing a layer of rubber on top of the frame, and finish it off with the fake putting turf. I think the rubber would give it the spongy feel like a real green and give the possibility of practicing a few chip shots from a separate chipping mat (as long as no valuable items are in the room). The rubber could also be easily manipulated to add a little undulating texture to the putting green.

Im not handy enough to make it look good enough to have on display unfortunately.

Building a rectangle is pretty easy. All straight cuts. Then use a staple gun/stapler to affix the carpet, then trim it up with a nice rope/piece of wood to cover the side. Easy peasy.

For the next FL golf outing, I'll build you one if you let me stay there lol ;)

You don't need rubber - just get a different underlay for the carpet. Rubber would be too expensive ;)

Building a rectangle is pretty easy. All straight cuts. Then use a staple gun/stapler to affix the carpet, then trim it up with a nice rope/piece of wood to cover the side. Easy peasy.

For the next FL golf outing, I'll build you one if you let me stay there lol ;)

Im not sure that would look right to fit in with our home if I did it. I struggle with changing light bulbs. The next outing wont be in our area, sorry.

This brings up another idea, can the high end turf that I envision be purchased separately?

What kind of turf would you choose?

You don't need rubber - just get a different underlay for the carpet. Rubber would be too expensive ;)

I have plenty of old tires at my disposal at my family's farm. I thought about getting them shredded and make a layer similar to an all-weather track surface.

you could go with 2 types of turf....one like traditional astroturf and the other a little 'thicker' that way you could simulate superr fast greens and slower greens

you could go with 2 types of turf....one like traditional astroturf and the other a little 'thicker' that way you could simulate superr fast greens and slower greens

Some of the stuff they are using for turf now is incredible. We spoke to a few places yesterday and its outstanding stuff.

This was a discussion we had with my buddy the other day. My friend has one in his backyard and man is it sweet. Some of the breaks are nasty!!! It plays very very close to real grass, I didnt notice a difference. Once the GF and I buy a house we will be getting one put in. She even suggested an area for chipping/pitching onto the green :) It's not as expensive as I thought it would be and the "grass" lasts for 10 years or more even in the AZ heat without even fading. We talked about having "major" tourneys and parties. Typing about it makes me want to go out and do it now......

This was a discussion we had with my buddy the other day. My friend has one in his backyard and man is it sweet. Some of the breaks are nasty!!! It plays very very close to real grass, I didnt notice a difference. Once the GF and I buy a house we will be getting one put in. She even suggested an area for chipping/pitching onto the green :) It's not as expensive as I thought it would be and the "grass" lasts for 10 years or more even in the AZ heat without even fading. We talked about having "major" tourneys and parties. Typing about it makes me want to go out and do it now......

We know tons that have them in the backyard. The reason for the inside one is because it is definitely a golf room and where all the guests gravitate towards, what with the staff bags and putters there.

I think I would like to have a "1st cut" fabric around the outside of the green to give a small (very small) chipping area. I would also want at least one perfectly straight putt, and then a couple different variations of break (though that is less useful... after the first 200 putts you'll have the break/speed memorized)

No question. Ironically we have spoken to all of them you listed as well as about 20 others in learning all we can about this project.

I am SO DOING this in my basement... I think instead of a pool table I will put a putting green in. Hey the wife gets the rest of the house!

We know tons that have them in the backyard. The reason for the inside one is because it is definitely a golf room and where all the guests gravitate towards, what with the staff bags and putters there.

That would be really cool, like walking into the putter display at a store. The possibilities are endless with all the configurations you could do. I just saw putting green (missed the indoor part) and went on about outdoors! Sorry about that, its still early in AZ and the coffee hasnt kicked in quite yet.

That would be really cool, like walking into the putter display at a store. The possibilities are endless with all the configurations you could do. I just saw putting green (missed the indoor part) and went on about outdoors! Sorry about that, its still early in AZ and the coffee hasnt kicked in quite yet.

No worries at all. Being that we live on teh course, the indoor thing is more our style, because the real putting green is within walking distance.

Back