Favorite Set Of Irons Ever - And Why You Changed

I guess mine would be the Golfsmith's tour model IVs I built back around late 80s. I bought the heads, TTLite shafts & some Taci Mac grips. The shafts were the type that you trim for stiffness then for length.
I thought I needed new clubs cause well the grooves were pretty well worn & after a 7 yr lay off I deserved new ones. Like to add that since I started playing again I've been through several different irons, some cause of searching & other part is caught in the hype

I guess mine would be the Golfsmith's tour model IVs I built back around late 80s. I bought the heads, TTLite shafts & some Taci Mac grips. The shafts were the type that you trim for stiffness then for length.
I thought I needed new clubs cause well the grooves were pretty well worn & after a 7 yr lay off I deserved new ones. Like to add that since I started playing again I've been through several different irons, some cause of searching & other part is caught in the hype

Dang brother you came from the old school where you built your own shat and stuff. The cool thing is saying the ones you built were your all time favorites. I like that :thumb:

As before: its not the age but high miles & lack of maintenance.

Favorite set and current gamers are my Cobra Amp Cell Pros. They are just such a good looking iron IMO and offer more forgiveness than just a straight MB.

After my new babies got delivered today, we'll see if they can knock the ACP's out of the bag.

They wouldn't compare to today's equipment, but I think the irons that I enjoyed the most playing were the Taylor Made LCG irons from the late 90s. That's what I used throughout my High School golf days and hit some of my best shots with them. I actually gamed them until about 2006 where I swapped them for Nike Slingshots because I bought into the "new technology" hype at that time. I wish I never did that.

To be honest I don't think I have yet had a favourite set of irons. Im still on the hunt. The TM TP CB's are very nice but I wouldn't say I love them, and probably part of it is that I don't remember all my clubs from when I was younger.

I owned a set of the original Nike blades back in 2000 or thereabout, they were incredible! I sold them to clear some debt if memory serves me right.

Definitely would say the Ping i5s. Have owned them twice, and occasionally take a peek on ebay to see what is out there. Why did i move on? I like new toys. The irons currently in my bag (Apex) might have a shot, long term.

TM 300 Forged. Still haven't switched!

Favorites are still the old X-14s. That could change in the future, but I had those a long time and shot some good (for me) scores with them.
What happened? They and I got old. Heads were bunged up, shafts became a bit much for me, and I figured I'd see what 10 years or so of tech could do for me.

Have to say that my favorite irons are the bio cell +. Love the looks and the way they feel. Don't have a set yet but looking to pick one up.

Hard to narrow this one down but...
1. Hogan Apex Plus
2. MacGregor 1025 VIPs
3. Mizuno MP 54s

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My favorite set of irons that I have owned are in my bag. I know that something better will replace them soon.

Hard to narrow this one down but...
1. Hogan Apex Plus
2. MacGregor 1025 VIPs
3. Mizuno MP 54s

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Keith I thought you were a Ping homer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite set of irons were Hogan Edge GS. Why I changed....I'll never know. :banghead:

My other favorite set were Mizuno's TC-29's. Even though they were cast they felt like forged clubs.

Last edited:
My Adams A4 irons... main reason I switched was that I somehow lost the PW and the 5 iron broke. Plus, they were graphite shafts and I had really gotten a lot better technique wise hitting irons, so the graphite shafts didn't quite work as well. I went with the CB3's - and honestly I didn't really miss a beat.

- Mizuno MP-32's

- Tourstage TS-202's

- Tourstage Z-101's

I guess my favorite set is what is in my bag right now (Titleist AP2 710), based on performance.

With that said, I have not hit too many sets of irons in my golfing life.

Based on looks, my favorite irons are probably the Taylormade TP MP irons... mmmmmmm.

taylormade-tp-mb-smoke-irons.jpg

Favorite every still has to be Altitudes. Baffler XL's have treated me well lately but seriously considering tossing Altitudes back into bag this Saturday in preparation for the Bear Trap.

Ping Eye Two copper berrilium ( berrylium??) , switched for no good reason.

My personal favorite ranking is:

1. TAYLORMADE ROCKETBALLZ

2. PING RAPTURE

My favorite set? The next one.

Good choice SeeMore Guy!!!

Hogan Apex Plus with Apex 4 graphite 1 iron 4-SW

A friends teenage son was getting serious about very serious game. I suggested the son try them and never saw them again.

The son became a scratch golfer with them.

I still miss those clubs.

In my opinion its because golfers have short memories and remember the fondness and good and forget the bad (which is a good thing).

Looking back, why did you change from your favorite set?

My original set of irons were some old MacGregor's I bought used. I played those for most of my first yr of golfing.

After the 1st yr, I was happy with my progress, and rewarded myself with my first set of new irons, my current 805 F's.

I spend a couple weeks every year up in Vancouver, so I bought a case, and shipped the MacGregor's to Vancouver so I could use them up there.

I hadn't looked at them in a long time: the first time I took them to the range, I couldn't believe how crappy they were, in both appearance and performance. They were absolute garbage.

They were better than the 20-30 yr old random irons that you rent at the range...but barely.

Anyways...when you say we look back and remember our old clubs with fondness...I can wholeheartedly agree: I remembered those things as being as smooth as butter.

Back