Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons Preview

I understand the gaping issue, i actually have it with a little with my CB3s, the gap is 49* and gives me about 120-125, my RTX 54 is about 100-105

If you are getting around 205 with the 850 6i, and i see you carry a 5&4 in the other set i would think you have anything out to 230-235 covered if you did the same make up in the 850's. What do you get from your SLDR 19*? Could add a 50/52 ATV if they come in those degrees, i don't know much about the ATV line

My 19*nSLDR 5W is good to about 240. The ATV wedge line is a non issue in that the GW in the 850 set is already 50* loft, so carrying a 2nd 50 serves no purpose I don't think.

My 19*nSLDR 5W is good to about 240. The ATV wedge line is a non issue in that the GW in the 850 set is already 50* loft, so carrying a 2nd 50 serves no purpose I don't think.

I was thinking more to your Gap issue, and how to fix it, i have meet a few that carry the same degree wedges just tweaked one way or another. Looking forward to seeing the 850 forged in hand myself. Right now the Srixon 545, and Mizuno 850 have me in ponder mode.

200 yard six iron is pretty beasty.

Picked up my new irons on Monday and dropped the recoil 110s in them that night. I went with the 4 and 5 850 Forged and couldn't be happier. The rest of my set are made up of the MP15. I was a bit concerned with gap issues between the 5 and 6, but the 6 still goes 205 max (195 average) and the 5 goes out to 215 or so. The launch on both is very penetrating and the ball gets and away very quickly. There's a ton of forgiveness built into this smaller looking iron. Shots low on the face still launch relatively well and did hold the green. My normal miss is towards the toe and I didn't see any significant loss of distance. Maybe 5 yards. The shot did hold the line most of the time. The course was pretty empty yesterday afternoon and I had a chance to hit a lot of different shots from different places to really put these irons through their paces.

The distances on these for me isn't anything astronomical. What I really like is that there's very little effort required to get the ball airborne, but the ball doesn't launch too high. Out of the rough these blast through the heavy stuff and delivery a solid strike. I dropped a 5 balls in the second cut and took aim at the green from 195 and was able to get all but one of the balls either on the green or just left or right. The only one that missed was a very heavy shot that deserved to go where it did. From the fairway and tee the grind on the sole lets the club slide through the turf and will even give you a little help on heavier shots. I'm talking 3-4 inches. If you get steep on one and bury the club head half a foot behind the ball you're still going to get sod flopping over the top of your ball.

The ball coming off the face makes a really nice solid sound. On pure strikes there's almost no sound at all (at least in my head). Just a slight thud in the hands and the ball is away. I'm going to get out again today and put in some more work with these.

Picked up my new irons on Monday and dropped the recoil 110s in them that night. I went with the 4 and 5 850 Forged and couldn't be happier. The rest of my set are made up of the MP15. I was a bit concerned with gap issues between the 5 and 6, but the 6 still goes 205 max (195 average) and the 5 goes out to 215 or so. The launch on both is very penetrating and the ball gets and away very quickly. There's a ton of forgiveness built into this smaller looking iron. Shots low on the face still launch relatively well and did hold the green. My normal miss is towards the toe and I didn't see any significant loss of distance. Maybe 5 yards. The shot did hold the line most of the time. The course was pretty empty yesterday afternoon and I had a chance to hit a lot of different shots from different places to really put these irons through their paces.

The distances on these for me isn't anything astronomical. What I really like is that there's very little effort required to get the ball airborne, but the ball doesn't launch too high. Out of the rough these blast through the heavy stuff and delivery a solid strike. I dropped a 5 balls in the second cut and took aim at the green from 195 and was able to get all but one of the balls either on the green or just left or right. The only one that missed was a very heavy shot that deserved to go where it did. From the fairway and tee the grind on the sole lets the club slide through the turf and will even give you a little help on heavier shots. I'm talking 3-4 inches. If you get steep on one and bury the club head half a foot behind the ball you're still going to get sod flopping over the top of your ball.

The ball coming off the face makes a really nice solid sound. On pure strikes there's almost no sound at all (at least in my head). Just a slight thud in the hands and the ball is away. I'm going to get out again today and put in some more work with these.
Why not mp-h5? I play the mp-53 now and really like them. Not sure about the forgiveness of the mp-15 but I want to try. They are sexy! I don't want anything less than mp53 forgiveness, sometimes they are all I can handle.

I was thinking more to your Gap issue, and how to fix it, i have meet a few that carry the same degree wedges just tweaked one way or another. Looking forward to seeing the 850 forged in hand myself. Right now the Srixon 545, and Mizuno 850 have me in ponder mode.

think next week I'm going to try the other irons in the set, tape them up and see what i get out of them. It may be I pull a fairway and add a 48* wedge or something? I know they retail right at 1000 but being a GS employee I get them for 730, my JPX trade in for 360, and I have a 250 gift card I won from my last HAGA tournament, so thinking if I get them and can't solve the gap issue I can always sell them on my own.

Just ordered my set, 4-PW cast 850s with CTaper lites, prefer the standard to the forged, go miles!!!, iv come from the normal EZs ala M.Crossfield, anything to make the game easier for me....if he can play them off scratch me off 8 can lol...the cast 850s look great in real life to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not mp-h5? I play the mp-53 now and really like them. Not sure about the forgiveness of the mp-15 but I want to try. They are sexy! I don't want anything less than mp53 forgiveness, sometimes they are all I can handle.

Didn't like the chunkiness of the H5. Plus I didn't get good numbers when I went for my fitting. The ball kind of got up there and just died. The MP15s are VERY forgiving. You'd be surprised. Much more forgiving than either the 59 or 64 could ever dream of being. I did a nice write up in the MP15 thread. I hit a 7 iron today low and on the toe, and it just went where I was aimed and settled in the rough next to the green. That used to equal ugliness.

The 850 Forged 4 and 5 are what I needed in my set anyway. I liked the looks and was intrigued by the boron "technology". I'm getting the forgiveness I need for my longer irons and amazing ball flight.

Been eyeing these and waiting for a little more info. Would really like to hit the forged and see what all the Boron hype is about.
Hey Jman, I follow a lot of your post on here and have come to really respect your opinion (we've never interacted before but thanks for all your info). I'm looking into getting the JPX-850s, they have a sweet feel but the fact that you can get any of their shafts at no upcharge is a deal I can't pass up. My fitter will give me 90% store credit on my G30s i just ordered as long as I get it returned in time I'm only out $90 :).
When I was getting fit for them, the best feeling and performing shaft was the KBS C-Taper. I hit both my G30s (with CFS X) and the 850s (with the KBS C-taper 120) and the 850s were not only longer, but for some reason (because of the feel) encouraged a higher SS as well.

Anyways my question is, I see you have the C-taper lites in both your irons and wedges. I currently have DG X100s in my wedges but like to keep things the same so I'll prolly end up buying two shafts for my wedges to match the JPX's if I pull the trigger. Why did you go with the C-taper lites in the wedges and not the actual wedge shafts? I've always been curious about why I don't see many ppl or pros get the actual "Wedge" shafts for their wedges but rather they get whatever they have in their irons.

Thanks man.

My short take on the JPX-850 forged is it's a very good forgiving forged iron with good looks. Compared to the PING i25's it's a bit hotter and not as consistent from hit to hit (sometimes you catch one in the center and it just launches). Forgiveness compared to the i25's is pretty close though with the edge on toe hits going to the i25's by a small margin.

I played the JPX-850 Forged with Project X 6.5's. The JPX-850 Forged 6 iron was about 6 yards further (carry) than my i25's but the 7 iron was about the same distance. The shorter irons (9-GW) were all about the same distance as my i25's and S55's. Feel on the face for off center hits was comparable to the i25's, little vibey but not anything that stings the hands.

I only had a chance to hit the Demo MP-15 and my first impression was lukewarm. If I had to play Mizuno I just don't see a reason to game the MP-15 when you can get more club out of the JPX-850 Forged. If I was going to game something less forgiving I'll just play the MP-69's (still game them from time to time).

Overall I would say the JPX-850 Forged should be something everyone should give a hit. If you dislike hitting a few random "hot" shots off the center you may want to evaluate how important distance accuracy is to you because these clubs are a touch hot.

Got mine yesterday, did a 5 swing run with each irons to get a baseline for yardages and printed it out. Showed a 5 swing average of 232 on the 4 iron and the low 2 were 219 and 225 with the other 3 over 235

My short take on the JPX-850 forged is it's a very good forgiving forged iron with good looks. Compared to the PING i25's it's a bit hotter and not as consistent from hit to hit (sometimes you catch one in the center and it just launches). Forgiveness compared to the i25's is pretty close though with the edge on toe hits going to the i25's by a small margin.

I played the JPX-850 Forged with Project X 6.5's. The JPX-850 Forged 6 iron was about 6 yards further (carry) than my i25's but the 7 iron was about the same distance. The shorter irons (9-GW) were all about the same distance as my i25's and S55's. Feel on the face for off center hits was comparable to the i25's, little vibey but not anything that stings the hands.

I only had a chance to hit the Demo MP-15 and my first impression was lukewarm. If I had to play Mizuno I just don't see a reason to game the MP-15 when you can get more club out of the JPX-850 Forged. If I was going to game something less forgiving I'll just play the MP-69's (still game them from time to time).

Overall I would say the JPX-850 Forged should be something everyone should give a hit. If you dislike hitting a few random "hot" shots off the center you may want to evaluate how important distance accuracy is to you because these clubs are a touch hot.

That's interesting that you found hot shots. I've been pretty consistent the last few times to the range and on the course with my striking and I really can't say there's been a shot that went too far. But, I experienced what you're explaining with the Apex and it was something not many others experienced either.

Im very curious about these hot shots you are speaking of. Could any of it be contact by chance? The reason I ask is that I have watched a robot hit these in 27 ball patterns and the distance control is pretty decent.

I finally got to hit these yesterday and they had an unbelievable feel. Super soft, felt great. I think I hit the H5s a touch better though.

Well these were underwhelming. Just when I though me and Mizuno would get along. Look great but didn't perform as well as I wanted.

Im very curious about these hot shots you are speaking of. Could any of it be contact by chance? The reason I ask is that I have watched a robot hit these in 27 ball patterns and the distance control is pretty decent.

Maybe I should have phrased it this way, compared to my i25's, & S55's flush shots with the 850 long irons go further compared to non flush shots. Long irons being the 4-6i.

I spent today on a GC2 comparing my i25 6i to the 850 Forged and for a 50 cent sized pattern in the face my i25's had better distance dispersion. So possibly contact vs hot spot but non the less I've seen better distance accuracy with other clubs.

With that said I would game these in a heart beat. After spending a long time with the 6i today I feel the 850 Forged is an iron I could score well with. They are up on the top of my list of irons I would play since I'm a Mizuno fanboy deep down.

PING had CFS-X, Mizuno was equiped with the fitting cart Projext X 6.5 + 1/2 and 2 flat head (my specs).
Those shafts seem to be rather different, maybe that was part of it?

The ball speed on these is insane. I was getting 133mph on the 6 iron.

I just spent some time with the jpx 850 6i. I was left wanting. I didn't fall in love with them.

I guess this leads me to believe that there are no inherent distance consistency issues with these heads themselves and any issues would likely be a bad fit or shaft selection issue.

Based on the robot testing JB referenced, that too is what he sees.

Based on my testing with my swing, I see tighter distance dispersion between center and off center hits on my PING i25's. What I'll do is test this next Sunday. I'll drop an S300 in both heads, do 10 balls each and compare shot "distance" dispersion between the two.

Just to be clear, both the i25's and 850's are equal for me when it comes to shaping, trajectory control, and offline dispersion. They are both on point and easy to hit.

The ball speed on these is insane. I was getting 133mph on the 6 iron.

It is pretty absurd when you think about it. I played in some of the most awful weather imaginable on Saturday (40 degrees, 20mph winds and rain) and the 4 and 5 iron performed much better than I could have ever imagined. I didn't both hitting driver on most of the holes since the 4 and 5 kept it low and in the fairway. Love the shot control ability I have with these clubs.

hit the 6i at lunch, not a bad club, looked good, felt good, could not get the numbers, but felt strong on the strike.

I too hit this at lunch. Came away pretty impressed. It was long and straight for me, felt great at impact. I cut across a few and still got pretty good distance, about 10-15 yards off center. Went further than the other 6i's I hit, including the JPX 850. I'd like to hit it against my current 6i outside though just to get a more realistic comparison down.

Back