Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree dude.. It is unfortunate. The Indians field a fairly decent team, and have for the last few years. Brantley is special..

I will be honest, I have been spoiled. The last few years the Cardinals draw 3+ Million, finish 1 or 2 in Attendance... Maybe it skews my perception, but when you are drawing 12-15k during the playoff push that is inexcusable to me.

Not a crazy baseball guy... but it sure is cool to see the O's and Royals in the ALCS.

Not a crazy baseball guy... but it sure is cool to see the O's and Royals in the ALCS.

it is. I'd like to see the Orioles win this thing. But both teams have been fun to follow.

Just crazy, 3.5M in 2000, and 1.4M this year with 5 less wins

They need to stop the random crappy seasons after 2 decent ones

What do you think is the big reason? Or reasons

A few:

1. Traded away the stars...Cliff Lee, Sabathia...Sizemore and Hafner disappeared off the face of the earth.
2. Management refuses to spend money to win:

• 2014: $ 84,445,900....good enough for 25th this year
  • 2013: $ 80,605,733
  • 2012: $ 65,430,300
  • 2011: $ 49,426,567
  • 2010: $ 61,453,967
  • 2009: $ 81,579,166
  • 2008: $ 78,970,066
​and then when they do last year, its on Turds like Bourn and Swisher.

They need a big name somehow, a big bat that will put people in the seats (or hopefully).

3. Putrid starts, they start the season so bad every year, then play well in Aug and Sept only to eventually fail

it is. I'd like to see the Orioles win this thing. But both teams have been fun to follow.

I've been an O's fan my entire life, so I want the O's to win it all.

but it is really good for MLB to have teams like Baltimore, KC, and Pittsburgh make the playoffs.

I've been an O's fan my entire life, so I want the O's to win it all.

but it is really good for MLB to have teams like Baltimore, KC, and Pittsburgh make the playoffs.

it could be good. Or it could welcome in some really poor ratings. Not saying it will, but it certainly opens that up. I'd like to see Showalter get a ring.

it could be good. Or it could welcome in some really poor ratings. Not saying it will, but it certainly opens that up. I'd like to see Showalter get a ring.

Yep, I think it will be the lowest rated alcs in years.

Unlike the NBA and NFL playoffs, I think people tend to tune up it once their teams are done. Just a gut feeling, no stats to back it up.

Yep, I think it will be the lowest rated alcs in years.

Unlike the NBA and NFL playoffs, I think people tend to tune up it once their teams are done. Just a gut feeling, no stats to back it up.

The TV money is already guaranteed, though. It's good for the sport to have different markets in the playoffs every now and then. It's also good for the sport to have different types of teams winning in different ways.

The TV money is already guaranteed, though. It's good for the sport to have different markets in the playoffs every now and then. It's also good for the sport to have different types of teams winning in different ways.

it's not like that hasn't been happening though. In the last 10 years how many baseball teams haven't made the playoffs at least once? Going off the top of my head I can think of the Blue Jays and the Mariners.

it's not like that hasn't been happening though. In the last 10 years how many baseball teams haven't made the playoffs at least once? Going off the top of my head I can think of the Blue Jays and the Mariners.

Yep, and it has been great for the sport.

Got to admit, I'm already pretty excited about how the WS will shape up on the AL side. Orioles and Royals are two old school teams that really worked hard to get where they are. I don't have a dog in the hunt, other than to say that Showalter really deserves a WS title at this point. On the NL side of things, it's the same old same old. As a Mets fan, I hate StL, the Giants story has played out already, and the Dodgers are this seasons Yankees throwing money at anything serviceable. Would be happy to see the Nats but they're toast.

So ... go Orioles!

It's pretty cool that there is a decent amount of Parity in the MLB. Teams are showing you don't have to spend 100 mil to field a competitive team

Yep, and it has been great for the sport.

agreed. I like it. Would have been funny if Seattle made the playoffs, that would have left only the Blue Jays. Pretty crazy.

agreed. I like it. Would have been funny if Seattle made the playoffs, that would have left only the Blue Jays. Pretty crazy.

Yeah. I like and hate the expanded playoffs. More teams is cool, but one game is somewhat ridiculous. However, the drama of that KC comeback would be diminished if it hadn't been a one game playoff. It certainly makes for high drama.

Got to admit, I'm already pretty excited about how the WS will shape up on the AL side. Orioles and Royals are two old school teams that really worked hard to get where they are. I don't have a dog in the hunt, other than to say that Showalter really deserves a WS title at this point. On the NL side of things, it's the same old same old. As a Mets fan, I hate StL, the Giants story has played out already, and the Dodgers are this seasons Yankees throwing money at anything serviceable. Would be happy to see the Nats but they're toast.

So ... go Orioles!

I think I'll be fine with whoever comes out of the AL. I've always had a soft spot for the Royals though. Their bullpen is impressive. My little league team was the Giants. That's about the only attachment I have there.

Yeah. I like and hate the expanded playoffs. More teams is cool, but one game is somewhat ridiculous. However, the drama of that KC comeback would be diminished if it hadn't been a one game playoff. It certainly makes for high drama.

game 163 was always cool because it happened naturally. I don't like that they are manufacturing their own game 163. However it gives more teams a chance, so I'm for it.

And basketball :)

I understand and agree with the attendance theory. But let me tell all the national media that is calling Baltimore a great baseball fan base.

Three years ago they were lucky to get 10,000 a night. That's not a lie. They started winning and all of a sudden the baseball fans came back. Ha

But I think there are very few exceptions to this situation. Maybe Boston and Chicago Cubs fans still show up in large numbers for bad teams.

Gonna disagree a little there Rob. Baltimore is a very good sports town, but much more a working class fan base. When your owner is not putting money back into the team, no one is going to pay those ticket prices for an inferior product. This area went through that with the Colts and Irsay. Add to the fact that we have a perennial playoff contender in the Ravens, with only so much consumer money to go around, you know where most of that money is going to go. Moreover, the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees were spending double what we could spend, and it looked hopeless. And at that time management had no idea how to make it work with a smaller payroll like the Rays did - hell, Angelos fired two good GM's. And to top it off, MLB gives Washington a team, and an already mid size market becomes even smaller. I kept going to a few games each year even when they were awful, but I never paid full price, I can tell you that. All the fan base asked was that they tried to compete - but we never saw that until Angelos probably had enough of people wishing he would die so someone else would own the team lol.

Based on opening day payrolls we had:

27th, 25th, 19th, 15th, 13th, 9th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 1st

That's not too bad. 40% of the teams starting payrolls in the bottom half of the league

I still can't believe Angelos hasn't stepped in and screwed things up already. I'm holding my breath and have my fingers crossed.

Would be awesome if the O's can keep it going. They had Azinger in before the season and then again before the start of the playoffs. Could be a magical post-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back